Renewal of passport - who pays?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Renewal of passport - who pays?

Postby pinball » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi,

I need to renew my helper's passport, she has been with me slightly more than a year. Can I check what is the practice, does the employer pays for it or the helper themselves or half/half? :scratchhead:

pinball
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Renewal of passport - who pays?

Postby happyheart » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Employers have no obligation to pay for passport renewal. However, if you feel that she is a good helper, you can consider co-share to lighten her burden. :smile:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksks3mum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Which mean if we think she not good enough or renewed for her and she decided to not work for us shortly, we can deduct from her pay?

ksks3mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mng_kl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm

ksks3mum wrote:Which mean if we think she not good enough or renewed for her and she decided to not work for us shortly, we can deduct from her pay?

Hi,

My not-so honest agent told us that maid to pay the renewal fee and maid is aware. Why dont you check with your agent?

mng_kl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carebear » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 pm

By right, if a worker wants to continue working, he/ she has to foot the bill of renewing the passport. However the agreement drafted by the Indonesian embassy require employers to pay for the renewal. Actually it is only a minimal sum of $35 for the renewal of Indonesian FDW passport.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am

What I meant is that we, as employers can help to co-pay out of good will. There is no strings attached, like ask her to pay back etc, in the event she decides to leave. It is entirely up to your relationship with her.
In our case, our philipino helper's passport renewal cost up to SGD 400. We like her work and trust that she has done lot for us. Hence, we are happy to do that as a form of encouragement.
No sure about Indonesian regulations :smile:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinball » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:00 pm

happyheart wrote:What I meant is that we, as employers can help to co-pay out of good will. There is no strings attached, like ask her to pay back etc, in the event she decides to leave. It is entirely up to your relationship with her.
In our case, our philipino helper's passport renewal cost up to SGD 400. We like her work and trust that she has done lot for us. Hence, we are happy to do that as a form of encouragement.

why $400? I thought renewal is $102 as stated on their website?

I intended to pay for her but after a recent incident whereby I caught her outside my house (down the street) I have 2nd thoughts now. She told me she has gone out to return a story book to one of the neighbor further down the road but when she saw my car she quickly ran and tried to hide among some bushes has certainly made me more suspicious of her.

pinball
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ksks3mum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:51 pm

pinball wrote:
happyheart wrote:What I meant is that we, as employers can help to co-pay out of good will. There is no strings attached, like ask her to pay back etc, in the event she decides to leave. It is entirely up to your relationship with her.

I intended to pay for her but after a recent incident whereby I caught her outside my house (down the street) I have 2nd thoughts now. She told me she has gone out to return a story book to one of the neighbor further down the road but when she saw my car she quickly ran and tried to hide among some bushes has certainly made me more suspicious of her.

Ha Ha this maid sure up to something. Actually i don't mind maid talks a bit to other maid. I can understand how excited they are when see 同乡. Actually am ok so long they do well in house work, take care the house and work for us 'whole heartedly' - My maid very lazy, never clean well, always cook same old dishes. Fresh Veg, left over leave in the fridge to rot. Somethime i said her she will said don't want to work for me! So damp angry! Feel like fire her straight but, am working, I depend on her to bring my kids back from CC and cook dinner. Also main reason is my kid is used to her...... and i know she will not be rough or fierce or hit my kids.

ksks3mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happyheart » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

It is that amount, we even spoke to the agent ourselves because we have to send her to embassy so got to liaise to make sure the time / date is right.

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinball » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:02 am

ksks3mum wrote:
pinball wrote:

Ha Ha this maid sure up to something. Actually i don't mind maid talks a bit to other maid. I can understand how excited they are when see 同乡. Actually am ok so long they do well in house work, take care the house and work for us 'whole heartedly' - My maid very lazy, never clean well, always cook same old dishes. Fresh Veg, left over leave in the fridge to rot. Somethime i said her she will said don't want to work for me! So damp angry! Feel like fire her straight but, am working, I depend on her to bring my kids back from CC and cook dinner. Also main reason is my kid is used to her...... and i know she will not be rough or fierce or hit my kids.

well, I am pretty 'relax' with her, she chit chats with my neighbor's maids (outside my house) during tea in the morning, afternoon and after household chores from 8 plus everyday so I do not restrict her on making friends and chatting with them. But what is disturbing is that to see her out of my house in the afternoon, many many houses away, on another street and trying to hide among bushes when she saw my car. If she needs to return a book or leave the house a little while she could hv just sms me and inform me.

pinball
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help