Maid to get weekly rest days

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid to get weekly rest days

Postby Dawnie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Dawnie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Maid to get weekly rest days

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 pm

All employers will soon have to give their maids one day off every week, under a new law that the Government plans to introduce from 2013. The legislated rest day, said Minister of State for Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin in Parliament on Monday, will apply to maids whose work permits are issued or renewed from Jan 1 2013.

New employers who hire a maid for the first time from Jan 1 2013, will also be subject to the new rules. For existing maids, the new regulation will not apply for the remainder of their work permit. Mr Tan added it will give maids a 'much needed emotional and mental break from work and time apart from their employers'.

Activists have long pushed for the mandatory day off, but many employers worry about the impact on their care arrangements at home. Mr Tan said there will be flexibility in the new rule, if both parties agree on arrangements.

For example, employers can pay their maids to work on their day off, or decide on what day of the week the maid will take the day off. Employers who have frail elderly family members can also tap on a new $120 grant to cover the compensation for getting their maids to work on their day off. This grant is over and above the existing $95 monthly levy concession enjoyed by all households with elderly members above 65, young children under 12 years or disabled members.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 73969.html

here it goes again on a contentious topic
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dawnie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm

What is the market rate if domestic helper does not want day off? $20 or $30? My helper is now getting $450 with 1 day off, I just renewed her contract last Dec.

Dawnie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby minami » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm

I thought the $120 grant is only for families with elderly, does it apply for families with young children as well?

Dawnie, think market rate is $20, i pay my maid $30 for her one extra day (on top of her current one day) that she requested.

minami
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bellethajah » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:28 pm

I am a working mum with 3 young children. The only 'rest' time I have is during weekends and it's not exacting 'rest' time as I will still be driving them around town for their enrichment classes, church etc. Is my rest time not important? My desire to have a 4th child is now thrown out of the window. I should be heading to my gynae soon to get tied up.
The cost of employing domestic helpers have also gone up in recent years. Now, we have to pay them even more. How are we expected to cope with these rising costs? So now I have to pay a high price to get a bit of rest???

bellethajah
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby peapot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 pm

If she doesn't want off day we still need to pay her?? We want to give her off and if she doesn't want to go then we shouldn't be faulted for it right?

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby minami » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

peapot wrote:If she doesn't want off day we still need to pay her?? We want to give her off and if she doesn't want to go then we shouldn't be faulted for it right?

I am wondering about this also...

minami
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:13 pm

peapot wrote:If she doesn't want off day we still need to pay her?? We want to give her off and if she doesn't want to go then we shouldn't be faulted for it right?

Work it into your contract when you renew it.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby POA Teacher » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm

You need to pay her the extra only if YOU want her to work on day off. But you can be sure some employers will misinterpret, and pay even when it's the maid who doesn't want to go out.
Then spoil it for everyone else.
Btw, the weekly day off does not apply to your current contracts. Only for those renewing or new work permits wef 2013.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zmonster1969 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 am

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1187096/1/.html

Mr Tan also addressed one big concern of employers. He stressed that employers' S$5,000 security bond will not be forfeited if the maid violates her own work permit conditions - for instance, if she moonlights on her day off, or if she gets pregnant.

Even in cases where the maid runs away, only half of the bond will be forfeited if the employer has tried to locate the maid.

Mr Tan said that this does not happen very often. Last year, only 22 security bonds were forfeited because of missing maids.

"This is not large, considering that we have over 200,000 FDWs in Singapore," he said.

The MOM is also reviewing employers' obligations for medical costs and the cost of sending maids home due to exceptional circumstances that employers have little or no control over.

zmonster1969
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help