Check upon leaving?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Check upon leaving?

Postby YJL » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

My helper is in the process of looking employer for transfer. She has started packing her things (few big bags) and sealed it up using wide tape to pass to her friends to keep first. Do u ask to check their bags upon leaving to the next employer? I feel uncomfortable to check but the past year, she was a pain in the neck :(
What will you do? Thanks for your kind sharing.

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Check upon leaving?

Postby MrsSeah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 am

Yes I check. I told her I need to check so that in future if I can't find anything I wouldn't suspect her. I feel if she didn't steal, she will let your check. My ex-maid all let me check. I do find some invaluable thing in their bag. Than I just said them a few word but will still give "that" thing to them.

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby YJL » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

MrsSeah wrote:Yes I check. I told her I need to check so that in future if I can't find anything I wouldn't suspect her. I feel if she didn't steal, she will let your check. My ex-maid all let me check. I do find some invaluable thing in their bag. Than I just said them a few word but will still give "that" thing to them.

Thanks Mrs Seah for your personal sharing.
As my helper goes for weekly off now, if she wants to take things she's not supposed to during her off. How to avoid? Dilemma.

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

YJL wrote:
MrsSeah wrote:Yes I check. I told her I need to check so that in future if I can't find anything I wouldn't suspect her. I feel if she didn't steal, she will let your check. My ex-maid all let me check. I do find some invaluable thing in their bag. Than I just said them a few word but will still give "that" thing to them.

Thanks Mrs Seah for your personal sharing.
As my helper goes for weekly off now, if she wants to take things she's not supposed to during her off. How to avoid? Dilemma.

I also don't check their bag when they go on their off day lah.

Only check when they are sending big boxes. :oops:

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

You may want to check her luggage and boxes. And do lock up your valuables and keep the keys in a secure place unknown to the helper.

You can also do an occasional stock take of the expensive food items in your house, such as ginseng, birds' nest, chicken essence and bottles of wine.

I know most people would rather trust the helpers and some of them are so nice to the family. But after my friend's experience, I realise that checking now and then can prevent a lot of unwanted situations. When your helper is tempted to commit a crime, things can get messy. You may need to call the police and it goes downhill from there...

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 am

If a maid really wants to steal something from you it's not difficult. She can take the item, pass it on to the maid next door to 'hold' for her and it's out of your home. And you can't find it on her. So first line of prevention is to lock up your valuables.

But do check the big items and bags that she intends to send home. She should not object.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 am

YJL wrote:My helper is in the process of looking employer for transfer. She has started packing her things (few big bags) and sealed it up using wide tape to pass to her friends to keep first. Do u ask to check their bags upon leaving to the next employer? I feel uncomfortable to check but the past year, she was a pain in the neck :(
What will you do? Thanks for your kind sharing.

seriously you should check any bag and every bag that she passes out - you would never know what is inside

ask yourself - where on earth she got so much possessions from ??

When I did the check on my ex maid prior to loading the luggage to the car, lo and behold, so many things from my family were found in the luggages ..... literally - day light robbery under your nose !

I had to pour out everything on the floor and ask her pick up only her things - not my things .... that was easier than picking though the bags

Go check it, don't be foolish!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 am

I agree with vk2010... I also checked the luggage last min so that my helper didnt know wat I might don... found some small things which when I looked at her she said oh mam maybe by mistake it came and she quickly removed....
Bottom line, you must check the bag!

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:49 am

LKVM wrote:I agree with vk2010... I also checked the luggage last min so that my helper didnt know wat I might don... found some small things which when I looked at her she said oh mam maybe by mistake it came and she quickly removed....
Bottom line, you must check the bag!

my DS has a treasured book ..... also found in the maid's bag ......
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby YJL » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks everyone for your kind sharing. Looks like a lot of discoveries.
I gave her a lot of soft toys, clothing and bags that make up few big bags. I think she should be smart enough to bring out anything during her off than actual day of leaving, but then again, maybe she knows we are the type that will not check and gives us surprises.
The problem is she has been with us 5 years, the more I find it hard to 开口. We have been nice to her these years but more "patterns" coming out eversince she started her off. Yes, it's better safe than sorry. I can't be telling hubby to do, so die die I hv to plunge the courage to do it then. :sick:

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help