Maid wants to transfer and not renew with me...pls advise

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid wants to transfer and not renew with me...pls advise

Postby lemonade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi everyone.....i posted earlier about my helper who wants an increment at par... iv offered her $100 increment and she is asking for $120 from her current pay which is $340.....anyway..my question is is it advisable to help her with transfer as she is keen to transfer coz i am not interested to renew her...

for the record..she is reliable, cooks well, able to do marketing but can be yaya ( iv allowed her to use handphone)

any input is much appreciated. Tks in adv..
cheers

lemonade
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Maid wants to transfer and not renew with me...pls advis

Postby nms1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

I would suggest that you give her a fixed period in which to find a new employer. If she has Sundays off then she can use that time to go for interviews and so on. There is no need for you to do anything; they all know which agencies to go to for transfers.

If you need to find a replacement before you let her go then make it clear that she is not allowed to leave until that date. If you speak to her future employer then make it clear to them as well.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lemonade » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for your reply...at least I know what to expect,

lemonade
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 am

lemonade wrote:Thanks for your reply...at least I know what to expect,

see your private message too
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fairplay » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:41 pm

What is the use of a contract when the contract can be changed and terminated at any time?

fairplay
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:40 pm

If I were u, I terminate the contract. Buy a budget ticket and send her back. It is your right as an employer. Why make her life easy and let her transfer? She want to find new employer, she go back and find one then come again lor. She will get higher pay, but then she also have to take new loan.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Hard Truth » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Dnls_mum wrote:If I were u, I terminate the contract. Buy a budget ticket and send her back. It is your right as an employer. Why make her life easy and let her transfer? She want to find new employer, she go back and find one then come again lor. She will get higher pay, but then she also have to take new loan.

Agree. Why make it easy for them to just transfer and make a mockery of signing a contract. They may come here for a couple of months and then want to go back for whatever reason and we have to foot the bill. This may be a good way for them to come for a short holiday with room and board taken care off. To top it off air passage is free too!.

Can we as employers think of a way that the maid should be maid to pay for the return air ticket instead of us picking up the tab?

Hard Truth
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

if it has to cost me more to send her back than any other options, I will gladly spend the money and send her back

it was because of my request to employ her that she was sent to singapore, so it will be my obligation to make sure she is sent back !
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jeantan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Ur maid dares to yaya...think it's time to change a new one.

If she doesnt respect u, i doubt she'll do her things properly.

Jeantan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

I am very unforgiving when it comes to maid who want to transfer due to a very bad personal experience. Pls bear with my long winded story.

Some 5 to 6 years back, I was told by an agent about the goodness of Burmese maids. I stated my criteria: married, experience in child care (I had a new baby) and able to cook. My SG agent sent my criteria to the Burmese agent and they sent me a perfect CV. Exactly what I wanted. We have 3 kids and with one being a baby who needed car seat, we had also asked for an average size maid, lest she can't fit in our Camry (no MPV).

When she arrived, we had a shock of our life. She was far from average size. My husband is 1.8m and she was close to his height. She is big. I also found out that she is not married! She has baby sit a 2 yo in her country, but not cared for a baby before! The only true thing in her CV, is that she is a Christian. She also can't cook. When I asked her to take chee Chong fun out of fridge to steam, she put the whole tupperware box with lid still on, into the wok! Luckily I checked, otherwise, my box would have melted and ruined my food, worst, if she feed my older boys the plastic cum chee Chong fun!

She asked to call home, and we let her. That is when trouble started. One week later, her father called, spoke good English and asked my mum to let her go to church. We are Catholics, so we told him that she can come with us. But she is a different denomination (I won't name it) and so that doesn't work for them.

Then before her first month ended, a lady called me. Told me she stayed in my same condo and goes to this other christian denomination church in Pasir Panjang. Their church knows my maid and her father who is an elder in the same Christian denomination church in Myanmar. This lady said that she has been asked by her Pastor to ask if she can come to my place to bring my maid to their church every week. I definitely refused. My maid was not suppose to have off, and who is this lady who knows my address and phone no????? Why shd I let her come bring my maid out? I warned her not to ever come to my house.

Then my maid's dad called again and spoke to my mom while I was at work. He said that the pastor of this church in Pasir Panjang is a nice young man whom he'd like his daughter to meet and pleaded with my mum to let her go to church to meet the Pastor!!!! Go to church not for praying meh but to meet man??? She is here to matchmaker or what???

We refused all those request and after 4 mths (during this time she and her dad continue to pester us), one month before she finish paying her loan, my maid came to me to tell me that she is giving me one month notice to transfer to a new employer. She says she has an aunty from her church she wants to transfer too!

I was really very upset. I felt that I was set up by the maid and her church. The agent in Myanmar saw my criteria and tailor made her CV for me. I shd have rejected her when she first came and I found out that her CV was fake. But I thought it must be in her eagerness to get a job and I should give her a chance. They got me to pay for her to come to Singapore hoping probably to matchmaker with the Pastor. When her loan is paid, they transfer her to where she had all along wanted to go.

I was so upset, I bought a ticket and sent her back. I paid for the ticket and did not bother with the last loan repayment. I just treat it as payment to her in lieu of notice period. I didn't bother to tell the agent. The agent actually called and said that he received a call from the maid's so called aunt to ask why I sent her back, and agent just told her that it is the employer's right. My maid had called her aunt from the airport.

Why am i telling my sob story here. I want to share with other employers, some who are new and innocent that from this lesson, I learn that not all maids are sincere to want to work here. Some have ulterior motive. If they ask for transfers, it is subject to employer's consent. We do not need to give consent. I don't like to be treated like a fool. If they want to change employer, they have to pay for it. It was my good heart that I didn't change her from day 1 and I suffered for it, being harassed by her and her church friends. I am actually sad that the lady who called me is a fellow Singaporean. If she is really so kind, she should have just employed my maid from Day 1!!!!

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help