WTA : Pregnant Maid

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

WTA : Pregnant Maid

Postby BeContented » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 am

What happens when a maid gets pregnant?

A pregnant maid decided to terminate her contract (think almost completed anyway). Knew she is pregnant in Mar and she is asking to leave SG in Jun. However, she told her employer that she is returning home due to family issues.....didn't confess on her pregnancy. What are the implications?

I happen to find out this through another maid......now scratching my head whether to kapo & tell the employer (not someone close). If there is no issue, perhaps it's better for me to just mind my own business?? Dun even know how true this is....... :shrug:

Anyone can advise? If the pregnant maid is canceling her work permit, should have no issue right?

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: WTA : Pregnant Maid

Postby icemochi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 am

for the employer, best thing is to send her back asap. is big loss if she has miscarriage in SG or got persuaded by people to abort the baby. they have contacts and i think each abortion is about sdg200+

icemochi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peapot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

I think it's better just to send her back ASAP and pretend not to know anything.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

I also thot best to send back ASAP. 夜长梦多, the longer delay, the more trouble. But frankly, I dun like that couple & wonder if they will end up accuse me of being kapo. Sigh.

You know, some people are just nastier.....wait tell them about their maid and then they have issues & turn around and scold me.....I will be mad. :scratchhead:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Hard Truth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 pm

BeContented wrote:I also thot best to send back ASAP. 夜长梦多, the longer delay, the more trouble. But frankly, I dun like that couple & wonder if they will end up accuse me of being kapo. Sigh.

You know, some people are just nastier.....wait tell them about their maid and then they have issues & turn around and scold me.....I will be mad. :scratchhead:

You sound like a nice neighbour. Wish I have one like you.

What about dropping a note in the letterbox;

"You may want to check if your maid is in the family way"

signed
"A friendly but scared to be scolded neighbour" or something like that ??

Hard Truth
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm

As long as the maid dun give birth in SG, it's fine. even if she is noticeably pregnant when she leave SG, no issue.

But if she goes to hospital for any issue (miscarriage, premature birth), the employer will bear the medical bills. I recall one case where the employer owed KKH about $70K for pre-mature birth (plus NICU charges etc) - this happened some years back. And this though the maid hid the truth from her employer, and another maid signed in as guarantor for the pregnant maid (ie employer didn't even know until hospital called her).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm

hquek wrote:As long as the maid dun give birth in SG, it's fine. even if she is noticeably pregnant when she leave SG, no issue.

But if she goes to hospital for any issue (miscarriage, premature birth), the employer will bear the medical bills. I recall one case where the employer owed KKH about $70K for pre-mature birth (plus NICU charges etc) - this happened some years back. And this though the maid hid the truth from her employer, and another maid signed in as guarantor for the pregnant maid (ie employer didn't even know until hospital called her).

:yikes: $70K......Better to send off the maid ASAP, you won't know what will happen.

mn
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

only 1 case so far lah. I'm not sure if they (KKH) ended up waiving the charges or what.

Anyway, my friends ever kena maid who got preggy and then went for abortion. Once they found out, it was bye bye time.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby nms1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:22 pm

The biggest risk to the employer is if there are any complications.

My previous maid got pregnant; luckily we suspected that something was wrong and she came clean when I asked her. Fortunately for us she still had around a month until her medical was due so she stayed until we hired her replacement so that she could train her.

I didn't really think much about the medical cost at the time. My view was that she had made a mistake, which we all do, and there was no point in me punishing her for it by sending her home immediately while at the same time making my life difficult.

Her boyfriend offered to pay for the ticket but I suspect that she ended up paying for it in the end so I just stayed out of it. I would have paid it for her as she had been a great maid and I knew that she had a tough time ahead of her.

There is no real need to report to MOM as you just create hassle for yourself. As long as she isn't due for a medical she can stay for a while until things are sorted then go home.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Hard Truth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:22 pm

I guess to each his own. To some the biggest hassle is not the report to MOM. It is the $70K that one has to face! The air fare is really peanuts compared to the $70K

Hard Truth
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help