Hopeless with Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Hopeless with Maids

Postby pinkitty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Being a working mom, I do need to engage a domestic helper to help out the old folks at home to take care of my two energetic toddlers.. However, we don't seems to have much luck with maid. Really at my wits ends.. Should we be nice to them treat them as a family, be super mean and make them know where they stand... Any advise?? I even resort to preparing a schedule for them but sometimes I need to travel for work and when after a while when I don't monitor.. all sorts of tricks come out.. for weeks dun clean this and tat...

First maid.. super experienced, worked in HK and SG... came.. wanted to do everything her own way (which we are fine with it since everything seems clean and proper), after one lunch out at a restaurant in the first week she came since it was Xmas, she questioned the old folks when we must cook every week.. I ask her to wash my car.. she ask me why when I employ her I never say I got 2 cars... after 2 mths decided to send her back.. last straw was she told me she can't eat fish fillet coz this is wat her ex-employer cook for dogs... when we are all eating the same thing...

2nd maid .. was very humble.. very gd .. when the sis came to sg to work.. started changing.. kept complaining that her pay is low and her sis is so high .. told me to send her back to the agency

3rd maid.. after 1 mth say she has a lump at her back.. brought her to see doc.. doc say this is just accumulated fats.. 2nd mth say tummy got 1 more lump... in the end send her back to agency .. its coz she dun wan to look after kids

4th maid.. came for 2 weeks... called back a few times a day back home using our phone... lied to the agency that we did not give her food when she poured away in front of us

5th maid.. had the habit of walking out of the bathroom with only a towel wrapped ard.. change without closing the door

6th maid.. kept talking back to us... even when she is in the wrong.. she refused.. last straw.. my son told me she was pinching him ..

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Hopeless with Maids

Postby Hard Truth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Just curious. 6 maids in a span of 10 years or 1 year?

Hard Truth
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pinkitty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 am

2 yr plus... maybe we r just bad at choosing

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am

pinkitty wrote:2 yr plus... maybe we r just bad at choosing

Were they mostly transfer maids?

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinkitty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am

No lei.. are direct ...

1st one: ex-HK and ex-SIN
2nd one: ex-Jeddah
3rd one: totally fresh from Philipines
4th one: totally fresh from Philipines
5th one: ex-india
6th one: ex-cyrus

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Hard Truth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 am

Don't knock yourself out on this.

A lot of us here are having the same problems. Hopefully with the sharing we can learn some of the tricks that the maids (probably with outside help and tuition from their various sources) are using. Hopefully we can catch them before they cause more problems for us and our loved ones.

Don't know how many "good" ( hesitate to use this term) there are available for us to choose from at any one time.

If 80% of them are not "good" your chance of getting one that is "good" will be two in ten...not your fault in selection.

The more important thing here is that you are willing to get rid of the bad ones.

In my opinion, we should somehow find ways to ensure that while we are filtering off the bad ones, we will not be punished in terms of extra costs etc whilst the maid agencies benefit. They do as each transfer brings them more money. They may even be part of problem by coaching maids to create issues so that they can recycle them back to other desperate employers.

And of course our "wonderful" MOM who takes pleasure in increasing the costs for employer. As someone said the current MOM = Ministry of Maids.

Hopefully in 2016 we can get a Ministry of Manpower back

Hard Truth
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pinkitty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 am

Yes... with each change.. the salary increase .. from my first maid of $380 a mth to now paying $470 for the last one..

Then everytime I need to pay for the insurance again, the course fees for the maid .. and worse next mth... another higher fee for them to go on immersion.

If not my in laws are old already and my kids' health is not tat gd, I will send them to childcare and not depend on maids.. argh...

AND a lot of them likes to eat my kids' food (I buy special organic stuff for my kids coz I dun like them to take unhealthy snacks).. which is ok with me if you do ur work properly... BUT they dun and they always finish till the last bit .. and leave me to discover and have to rush to buy each time I need to pack my kids' snack box... argh

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am

pinkitty wrote:No lei.. are direct ...

1st one: ex-HK and ex-SIN
2nd one: ex-Jeddah
3rd one: totally fresh from Philipines
4th one: totally fresh from Philipines
5th one: ex-india
6th one: ex-cyrus

Oh dear, have you had tea with MOM yet?

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinkitty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Fortunately not yet... coz all these spread across a period of about 2 yrs plus...

Honestly, I don't get it.. it's not like I am a super fussy boss... I already closed both eyes just expecting them to clean the house and take care of my kids ..

Yet they dun appreciate and if we change too many times.. we get penalised

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peapot » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Choosing maid is like tikam. Although that should not be the case but it is at the moment for us. We are on our own. Gov't sucks!

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help