3 kids under 3 - maid or childcare?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

3 kids under 3 - maid or childcare?

Postby swissmiss » Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi

We are due to move to Singapore in a few months for my job, and im now looking for childcare solutions for my 3 boys (a 3 year old and twin 9 month boys)

As I have no idea about the domestic help landscape, i want to ask whether it is feasible to leave the 3 kids with the maid. When I was on maternity leave, i looked after all 3 plus the home and i can tell you it is very hard, so i wonder whether a maid could manage. Should we get 2 bmaids? Or perhaps a professional nanny? How actually, do I find a professional nanny?

We are also considering daycare, but my concern is with 2 parents in demanding jobs that require travel, this may mean that the maid has to drop off and pick up.

What would you do?

swissmiss
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: 3 kids under 3 - maid or childcare?

Postby znzyzyzx » Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

i think i will send to childcare and infant care, but still has a maid.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 am

I would agree. If your finances allow, employ a maid and send the children to childcare. If both of you are working and you have no family support here it will help a lot when you are travelling and if the children fall sick and cannot go to childcare.

It means that you don't have to worry about rushing to pick up the children then go home to cook, clean etc.

Professional nannies i.e. formally trained don't really exist here. If people talk about nannies they are usually referring to a childminder who will often be an older lady whose children have grown up and who will take the children into her house during the day. This may be an option for your twins until they reach 18 months if you are able to find someone. Until 18 months they will attend infant care which is more expensive than childcare, although usually on the same premises. If you can find a good nanny it may be better for them as they have one another to play with.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby matrix0405 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am

Under 3, better to have both, child care + maid.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MsMaidAgent » Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi ,

I am a mother of 3. I would suggest childcare + maid. Childcare can use CDA account to pay the fees and maid is about $600 per month.

Previously, i put all to maid without childcare. After they turned 2years old. I put them on a half day childcare.

However all depends on your financial as well babe. Do let me know if you need any advise :))

:boogie: :boogie:

MsMaidAgent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby POA Teacher » Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

MsMaidAgent wrote:Hi ,

I am a mother of 3. I would suggest childcare + maid. Childcare can use CDA account to pay the fees and maid is about $600 per month.

Previously, i put all to maid without childcare. After they turned 2years old. I put them on a half day childcare.

However all depends on your financial as well babe. Do let me know if you need any advise :))

:boogie: :boogie:

Wow!!!
How you manage it - $600 p m for maid?
Salary + levy + insurance + agency fees + medical + airfares etc. All costs should be factored in.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Domestic Help