Maid Hostel

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid Hostel

Postby Hiaweh » Fri May 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Anyone knows of there are hostel that houses maids on a temporary basis eg. for a few days when employers are away for holiday, beside Employment agencies?

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Maid Hostel

Postby iLoveChubby » Fri May 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi
I put my maid in a hostel for afew days during my family holiday - the hostel was managed by a few big maid agencies so hv to go thr' the agency (i thk i went to Nation or Budget Maid, cant rember) for this service, not directly to the hostel.
But this was 2 yrs back.. i am not sure if the hostel is still there/management still e same - you may wish to check.

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Fri May 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Are we allowed to "tumpang" our maids in a relative's/ friend's house when we go on a holiday?

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Hiaweh » Fri May 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Actually MOM rule is the maid can only work at employer's address. Cannot send her to other places unless can get approval from MOM. So the other alternative is put her at the agency. But if the maid is trustworthy can also leave her at home.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Fri May 25, 2012 9:41 pm

"Tumpang" is not working.
Some people don't want to leave the maid alone at home for so many days.
My maid's friend's employer is going away for a holiday in June. The maid refuses to go stay at a hostel.
Final resort--- send her home to Indonesia!! (Initially she refused that too)

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Hiaweh » Fri May 25, 2012 10:18 pm

But how to prove that she only "tumpang"? My maid more than willing to go to hostel. No need to work just eat and sleep and maybe just some light duties.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Angelight » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Just curious...so the maid still get her wages even though she is doing nothing at the hostel?

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Angelight wrote:Just curious...so the maid still get her wages even though she is doing nothing at the hostel?

yes, she still get her salary.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iLoveChubby » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Actually acc to my maid (dont know how true), she was v 'busy' at the hostel as she was required to cook all 3 meals (big portion as there were alot of maids staying there) and as an experienced maid, the trainer asked her to help train the new maids on some basic skills.

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nkthen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I have a different take here.

When my family goes for a holiday, I'll bring my maid along. I treat her as my family member.

If you built a trust with your maid, treat her like a family, and she will return the favor.

I'm glad that we have a good helper and she treats us like a family.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Domestic Help