Air Coolers

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Air Coolers

Postby kwcllf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 pm

HI,

The weather is really hot nowadays and I thought of buying a air-cooler. Anyone has experience using it. If it is used in a bedroom, can it cool down the room sufficiently. Of course, I not comparing it to air-con but just wonder whether it can lower the room temperature enough to keep us comfortable.

I was at IMM over the weekend and I saw quite a number of people buying them from Best Denki.

Thanks.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Air Coolers

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 am

I doubt they can effectively cool a large room. If not wrong, u have to put ice into a drawer, right?

I think it works by removing some of the humidity (using the ice) from the air and so the wind from it seems cooler.

In those showrooms such as Best Denki, they sure seem to work...coz they r blowing air that is already chilled by the central building aircon :smile:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am

I saw this Honeywell air-cooler selling about $365. The wind is pretty strong and quite cooling. When they demonstrated it, they only put in water and when I feel the temperature of the water inside one of the compartments, the water is really chilled.

I am also aware about the central air-conditioning inside the shopping centre and hence, don't provide a true gauge of how effective the cooling is. Just wonder whether anyone has used one before in the bedroom and feedback on its effectiveness. For example, if we closed up all the windows and door and turn on the air-cooler, will the room remain stuffy even after turning it on for quite some time??

Thanks.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 am

OK, look at it this way.

You and your family will constantly emit heat. The cooler, since it is running on electricity, will also emit heat. If both your family and the cooler is to be concealed in the room, how is the heat gonna leave the room?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 am

Nebbermind wrote:OK, look at it thisHi way.

You and your family will constantly emit heat. The cooler, since it is running on electricity, will also emit heat. If both your family and the cooler is to be concealed in the room, how is the heat gonna leave the room?

Hi,

Air coolers are different from portable air con, which has an exhaust outlet. Air coolers are more like fan but can produce cooler air. So, the heat is not as great as portable air con. Of course, I don't expect air coolers to be as good in cooling down the room as air con. But just wonder to what extent can it lower down the room temperature.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Way2GO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 am

Nebbermind is right.
d air cooler is only as gud as d rate at which it can remove d heat generated in an enclosed rm. But where is d heat sink going to? d heat is not removed fr d rm in ur scenario.
u might as well put some ice cubes in a bowl n direct d fan over them to cool d room.
Same shit, but saves u a lot of money.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby POA Teacher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Way2GO wrote:Nebbermind is right.
d air cooler is only as gud as d rate at which it can remove d heat generated in an enclosed rm. But where is d heat sink going to? d heat is not removed fr d rm in ur scenario.
u might as well put some ice cubes in a bowl n direct d fan over them to cool d room.
Same shit, but saves u a lot of money.
:laugh:
:laugh: Ice cubes melt too fast. Get a big block of ice. :lol:

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:52 pm

I saw the demo before in the shopping centre, I feel that the shopping centre is aircon surrounding, hence we will feel the air blowing out from the air-cooler is cold because they suck in the "aircon" cooling air. But at our house, surrounding air is hot. I doubt we can get the same result. :p

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Air coolers are of no use. Someone told me that long ago.
Buy an aircon.
There are portable aircons nowadays. But I've been told they are kinda noisy.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kwcllf » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 am

POA Teacher wrote:Air coolers are of no use. Someone told me that long ago.
Buy an aircon.
There are portable aircons nowadays. But I've been told they are kinda noisy.

Portable air con is very troublesome as you need to stick the exhaust tube out of the room or window. I was told air coolers use very much less electricity compared to air con. As I have mentioned before, they are not the same in terms of cooling the room. But just trying to find an alternative that can make do for this hot period.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help