Who is speaking up and protecting the employer?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Who is speaking up and protecting the employer?

Postby downtime » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

The recent ban on maid cleaning windows and with Transient Workers and HOME advocating & lobbying for a complete ban on laundry too. I am wondering why there is no channel or nobody is protecting the employer? All the media and internet comments seem to be very supportive of the ban - thinking employer are always endangering the maid's life.

Why no one asked the many fall from height cases are linked a one nationality. Why not other nationality? Because HOME, Transient Workers and others lobbied for a ban, MOM banned it. (So what if cleaning is allowed with supervision? Is this practical? If i got so much time i might as well do myself - faster & cheaper). I tore away the letter from MOM when i received it.

Through my experiences with maid i realised that not matter how good an employer is maid have their own mentality, attitude and agenda.

My maid of 4mths run away recently. A police report was made and the maid was found in HOME. This case is now pending with MOM.

A very ridiculous thing that surfaced is: MOM can't do anything to send the maid back to the original agency (she has unfinished loan). MOM officer said the maid cried and refused to go. They will leave it to HOME and maid's agency. But nobody from HOME spoke to the maid's agency and they just went to the agency to demand for the transfer document. (this transfer doc was signed prior to the maid runaway).

MOM officer repeated many times that HOME is backed by UN, very powerful!

My agency told me HOME is also a maid agency - conflict of interest! So, very often, a transfer maid = runaway maid.

So, employer is at their mercy.

I am disheartened by this whole eposide.

Re: Who is speaking up and protecting the employer?

Postby LOLMum » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 pm

As far as I know, home looks after the foreign workers and I do mean just these people. They are not a neutral party.....

We, the employer, unfortunately, are orphans.

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm

please go talk to your MP

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:29 pm

No one, you take care of yourself.

Postby dasalo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm

ksi wrote:No one, you take care of yourself.

I second that. They banned maids on this and that, you banned the maids!!

Return to Domestic Help