Visa woes: How to bring FDW to Italy to help on vacation?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Visa woes: How to bring FDW to Italy to help on vacation?

Postby Vassal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Am bringing my 3 young boys to Italy to ski at the end of the year. In order to have an extra pair of hands and eyes to watch them and help with luggages, I want to bring my Indo helper.

But Italian embassy says they do not have a visa that caters to "temporary subordinate work under a temporary resident" in Italy. So I guess I have to try my luck with a tourist visa for her. BUT she can only apply for a tourist visa not more than 3 months before travel. In the meantime, I'm worried air tickets would be sold out by then....

Anyone applied Italian visa for their Indo FDW before?? Is approval rate high?

Vassal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Visa woes: How to bring FDW to Italy to help on vacation

Postby straffan23 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

I haven't done this before and is not an expert... but I have been on holidays of which the families bring along their FDW - either to help take care of young and old... or as a bonus for their long service.

I assume that the application for the FDW should be quite straight forward. She is going to Italy as a tourist, with her employers. It is only natural that in the course of the vacation she offers her kind assistance to you and your family, right? Else you can take me - I don't need a visa and is very good with young children :rahrah: :rotflmao:

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Vassal wrote:Am bringing my 3 young boys to Italy to ski at the end of the year. In order to have an extra pair of hands and eyes to watch them and help with luggages, I want to bring my Indo helper.

But Italian embassy says they do not have a visa that caters to "temporary subordinate work under a temporary resident" in Italy. So I guess I have to try my luck with a tourist visa for her. BUT she can only apply for a tourist visa not more than 3 months before travel. In the meantime, I'm worried air tickets would be sold out by then....

Anyone applied Italian visa for their Indo FDW before?? Is approval rate high?

I am sure Indon of any profession, exercising employment anywhere in the world, is entitled to a visa for holiday in Italy

just book the airticket, and once it is within 3 months, apply for the visa

air ticket cancellation charge is about $75, if it is not used at all
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vassal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks verykisau2010, I guess now i just have to work on preparing "favourable" documents to support her visa application. I've read from the internet that the people at the Italian embassy here are not hospitable at all.

Vassal
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

you can also get your airtickets and your maid's tickets now, say for travel in a month's time and start applying for visa immediately

the visa should be valid for a period of time without fixed date of travel....otherwise if there is flight delay -- die, right ?

after you get the visa for her, need to change travel / holiday plan lor ..... who can foresee changes to future travel plan ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Domestic Help