Additional chores

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Additional chores

Postby Hiaweh » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 am

Any suggestions for additional chores for maid rather than her idling around? Besides cleaning cabinets, toys, daily routine and cooking, what else can I get her to do?

She is not the 'automatic' type where she will look for things to do and have to wait for instruction or rather be idle. Don't even like to read. I buy tahan see her walk here walk there pretending to be busy.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Additional chores

Postby chloecube » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am

Hiaweh wrote:Any suggestions for additional chores for maid rather than her idling around? Besides cleaning cabinets, toys, daily routine and cooking, what else can I get her to do?

She is not the 'automatic' type where she will look for things to do and have to wait for instruction or rather be idle. Don't even like to read. I buy tahan see her walk here walk there pretending to be busy.

you may set a Timetable for her.
when you employ her, what are her main duties- to look after kids/elders or just house chores?
List down the things you want her to do everyday.
for example,
Mon- 7am - wakes up and wash up
7.15am - breakfast
7.30am - water plants..etc
2pm - ironning
4pm- prepare dinner

it may sound a little silly for us, but this set as a guidance to new maids and when they work longer for you. they no longer need to follow the timetable anymore
you may also add in a 30min-1hr leisure/rest time for her in the day if you like.

i did the timetable for my maid when she first came 3 yrs ago, i find that it is very useful
i also added in my children school timing, tuition days and other additional activites in the timetable
after a month, my maid is more or less familar with our family timing and "expectation".
she no longer using her timetable
btw, i also list down a set of "rules" for her
such as "Do not give your friends our house number"..

chloecube
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nms1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

With one of our previous maids, I had a list of chores divided into daily, twice weekly, weekly, monthly etc and she managed that herself. Does she have a list like that to work through?

It's a bit weird to create work for them to do but sometimes it really isn't a full-time job :lol: But there are only so many times you can clean the cupboards! I do find with my maid that she misses silly things like wiping light switches, cleaning shelves etc so it might be worth adding that to the list.

If you need her to help out with things in the evening then give her a time to break in the afternoon.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Hiaweh » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am

Her main duties are household chores and cooking. When she came I've already set a time table for her but as time goes by and she gets more familiar she can get daily chores done rather quickly although sometimes can see that she's just doing it slowly so that she can drag time.

I am still the main caregiver to my children but when she's free she still need to relieve me sometimes for me to shower and do my own stuff.

This may sound very unfair on my part for comparing her to my previous helper but my previous helper is very 'automatic' as in she will not idle. She will always try to find something to do. If really nothing, she will look at recipe books and copy those that she find interesting.

But with the current one I don't see all this and I find that she's just waiting to finish her time here which is still a long way to go.

She will just do what is require of her. Any extra will wait for instructions, otherwise will not initiate.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Domestic Help