Indian FDW - non Indian employer?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Indian FDW - non Indian employer?

Postby sad citizen » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 am

Will you consider hiring Indian FDW who looked fair ... you are not an Indian.How good is their English compared to Myanmar FDW?

Filipinos street smart, die-die must have these and that. Fresh FDW agreed no off, no mobile but later will pester you for everything she felt she should be 'entitled to'. Indonesian also in this category and the minus is most can't eat pork.

Myanmar, lots of employer feedback they rather not get them. Same remarks from agents.... but they are the cheapest compared to Indo and Fil.

So will you consider hiring Indian FDW who looked fair? Some may not look as dark as filipino, can be deceiving if they didn't tell you they are Indian FDW.

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Indian FDW - non Indian employer?

Postby nms1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Can I ask why it matters what they look like? I think how they work is more important.

My main concerns would be ability to cook Chinese & Western food and any dietary/food restrictions due to religion.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MUMMYOF3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi

Mine is also fr india n so far has been working for a yr plus.
She helps to take care of my 3 boys n dad n cooks chinese food as well. So far m happy with her.

MUMMYOF3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sad citizen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm

MUMMYOF3 wrote:Hi

Mine is also fr india n so far has been working for a yr plus.
She helps to take care of my 3 boys n dad n cooks chinese food as well. So far m happy with her.

Thanks
I'm thinking of getting Indian cos I'm relunctant to have Myr or Fil, Indo totally out of my list.

Have no friends or colleagues who hired Indians to share their language/communication skill. Can Indians communicate in English, better than Myr?

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sad citizen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 pm

nms1 wrote:Can I ask why it matters what they look like? I think how they work is more important.

My main concerns would be ability to cook Chinese & Western food and any dietary/food restrictions due to religion.

feels uneasy :sweat: but fair skin can accept

My expectation for cooking quite simple, Just very simple 1 or 2 main dishes, likely to get her cook porridge, everything dump in them then slowly progress with harder receipes. Her main duty is my children. At worst, I tingkat meal, let her go slow. As long as responsible, caring to my kids, willing to carry out chores assigned, wont itch when cant touch mobile everyday, good working attitude .....

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby grapevine » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Mummyof3 ,
Can I ask which agency you got your maid from?
My current Indon maid leaving in Jan. Don't want to you the previous agency - had a lot of problems the first time around.

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby st2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 am

I know 2 people that hired Sri Lankan maids, this was 10+ years ago and their maids had been working for them for 5 and 10 years already at that time, they spoke good English. Lost contact long time ago so can't find out where they got their maids.

I think I can accept Sri Lankan or Indian. I'm very sensitive to smell, so they have to really be meticulous about their personal hygeine and must use anti perspirant/deodorant.

Anyone know where/agency to find out more about them?

I think speaking English is common there, India was under British rule for a very long time before. MOM require minimum Education, I'm quite sure they can sepak English. Probably strong accent, but I believe still better than Indo or Mymr.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby irenegoh2003 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi,
Care to share more..interested to know more as i dont fancy Indo or Phils maid

Btw, what does FDW means ?

irenegoh2003
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby grapevine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am

FDW - Foreign Domestic Worker, i.e - Maid. It's the official term for it.

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby chixchix » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Indians got 2 type, one is north Indian from Punjab,fair skin or a bit tan. there is also from the hill side of darjeeling that look like chinese, small eyes. But there is also South Indian, dark skin,some have hygiene issue.

I am not sure about South Indian, but North Indians can speak very simple English like those fresh Indons. They usually want employers to give them respectable treatment and not to treat them in a lowly manner.

So agency fees for north indian maids is lowest ranging from $900-$1200.their maid loan 1-2 months.

Honestly speaking whatever the nationality, the quality of maids is dropping down. Like the AEAS President suggested to employers to raise salary to $600 , it wont make sense, cos money is still money.Already now pay $500 also, maids dont work properly,give attitude. so what does $100 more make a difference ? this dumb MOM should look into the plight of employers here rather than going on the side of maids all the time

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help