Do i really need a maid?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Do i really need a maid?

Postby christ4ec » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 am

Hi all please help shed some lights into my situation and give me ideas. would really appreciate.

recently divorced and moved to a one room flat near to my 13 yo daughter's school. She is able to take care of her own daily need and i have a part time maid coming to clean the house weekly, dinner is solved by tingkat.

However, i run a small business and all the income comes from overseas work, which used to require travelling once a quarter, but from next year onwards for 1-2 weeks every month. Currently, my relatives will take turn to come stay over and keep my girl company. but i do know this is not a long term solution as it inconvenience them.

I thought of giving up this business that i spent last 7 years building up and it has finally established itself (abeit overseas). Being a not very highly educated single mum, this stable overseas income is very important to us.

Getting a full time maid seems to me now the only viable choice, she will have to sleep in the living room, wakes my girl up for morning school and accompany when she is home from 5 to sleep at 9. She is going to be very free as she wont need to cook and there wont be anyone at home from 7am to 5pm.

Do you guys foresee any problems that i should take note on my pros and cons list and potential solutions?

Would really appreciate some lights in this. Thank you.

christ4ec
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Do i really need a maid?

Postby POA Teacher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

Living in a 1-rm flat, I doubt you will be eligible to hire a FDW.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby christ4ec » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh there's a restriction on that?

christ4ec
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby huaywenandkenneth » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I feel you do not need a maid. If you look at the maid threads, most are having problems with one. I need one as I have 3 young kids, if I have a choice I would go without one. If maid is going to be free and there is no one to monitor, you really do not need one. Better option may be a good after school care, and with your relatives coming in to help out on the days you are not in town. You do not want to be caught in a situation that you need to worry about your child AND the maid. Watch for your child though, 13 yo can be a change of phase in their lives, esp moving onto Sec 1.

huaywenandkenneth
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby christ4ec » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks you echo exactly my heart. That's what my relative did. But now they think there should be more permanent solution. They juz offered another choice. That my girl go stay with them 'permenantly'. Either way I am juz so saddened and so is my girl. She is already in sec 1 and she argued she can be home alone which is potentially not a safe option either.

christ4ec
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I can understand your concerns as I have daughters too. Since you say you will be away half the time, maybe the best solution is for your daughter to have 2 'homes' - with you when you are in Singapore, and with a relative when you are away? At least until you feel she is old enough to stay alone overnight. It will be a bit disruptive, but if your daughter is the resiliant kind, she can get used to it. Alternatively, is there a neighbour you can trust to keep an eye on your daughter (watch for her come home, call her at night to see if she's OK, be on standby for emergencies etc) when you are away?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 pm

I agree with slmkhoo. You don't need a maid, and having flexi living arrangement for your daughter may work better for everyone. A maid is often regarded as a solve-all solution... but this if often not the case in reality. You might end up spending the money and attracting more problems. An aunt used to say, after she has a maid at home, she had an extra 'daughter' to worry about!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dekora » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:29 pm

And u never know if your maid will bring her "friends" up to your house and of course endangering your daughter at the same time

Dekora
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 am

Don't go looking for trouble.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MizzNAH » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 am

It is a crazy idea to have a maid nowadays especially with the new ruling and maid attitude. Just sent my maid back after 16 years of having one with all the different nonsence each. If you have other option, go for it.

MizzNAH
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help