Practice for home leave

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Practice for home leave

Postby Zhuge » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I read from this forum that:
1st year: no home leave
2nd year: home leave, if intend to renew maid's contract

After renewal of maid's contract, home leave is once every year or once every 2 years?

Thanks!

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby concern_mum » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm

hi this not the case, home leave for all maid are every week effective form jan 2013. If you do not intend to give any leave, you need to give monetary compesation of at least $17.50 starting from this year Nov.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby PhoBIA » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm

concern_mum wrote:hi this not the case, home leave for all maid are every week effective form jan 2013. If you do not intend to give any leave, you need to give monetary compesation of at least $17.50 starting from this year Nov.


Concern_mum :
What you mention is weekly off days.

Zhuge :
Old practice is home leave every 2 years. However, you may give more than 2 weeks if your schedule permits.

Some employers do not mind giving the maid yearly off as the maid has been with them for a long time and they themselves are going on a long holiday.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby concern_mum » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi PhoBia

the new policy set by MOM now is as below.

Effective 01/05 ==> cannot hang clothes outside the flat
Effective July ==> cannot clean window without employer supervision
Effective Nov ==> all new Ind maid salary will start with $450 and if off day not given, we need to compensate at least $17.50/off day
Effective Jan 2013 ==> all maid from all nationality must be given 4 weekend off per month otherwise you may compensate with cash.

concern_mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby nms1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Zhuge wrote:I read from this forum that:
1st year: no home leave
2nd year: home leave, if intend to renew maid's contract

After renewal of maid's contract, home leave is once every year or once every 2 years?

Thanks!


It will usually still be at the completion of each contract i.e. every 2 years but as someone else said many employers will give more especially if they are going away themselves. With budget airlines that has become much easier.

Our maid is just finishing her 1st contract but has already gone back twice. We let her go back when we were away last July as her sister was very ill (late stage brain cancer). We then let her go back in November for the funeral although at first she said she didn't mind if she didn't go.

She had now said that if we renew her contract she would like to go back when we are away in December but she has offered to pay. I won't let her but the fact that she offered is a great thing.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm
Total Likes: 6



Re: Practice for home leave

Postby POA Teacher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 am

concern_mum wrote:Hi PhoBia

the new policy set by MOM now is as below.

Effective 01/05 ==> cannot hang clothes outside the flat
Effective July ==> cannot clean window without employer supervision
Effective Nov ==> all new Ind maid salary will start with $450 and if off day not given, we need to compensate at least $17.50/off dayEffective Jan 2013 ==> all maid from all nationality must be given 4 weekend off per month otherwise you may compensate with cash.

MOM does NOT specify any minimum pay for FDW. It is the Indon authorities that is demanding minimum of $450

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 pm

POA Teacher wrote:
concern_mum wrote:Hi PhoBia

the new policy set by MOM now is as below.

Effective 01/05 ==> cannot hang clothes outside the flat
Effective July ==> cannot clean window without employer supervision
Effective Nov ==> all new Ind maid salary will start with $450 and if off day not given, we need to compensate at least $17.50/off dayEffective Jan 2013 ==> all maid from all nationality must be given 4 weekend off per month otherwise you may compensate with cash.

MOM does NOT specify any minimum pay for FDW. It is the Indon authorities that is demanding minimum of $450



Conclusion : don't employ a maid unless you absolutely need one.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Practice for home leave

Postby Zhuge » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 am

PhoBIA wrote:
POA Teacher wrote:
concern_mum wrote:Hi PhoBia

the new policy set by MOM now is as below.

Effective 01/05 ==> cannot hang clothes outside the flat
Effective July ==> cannot clean window without employer supervision
Effective Nov ==> all new Ind maid salary will start with $450 and if off day not given, we need to compensate at least $17.50/off dayEffective Jan 2013 ==> all maid from all nationality must be given 4 weekend off per month otherwise you may compensate with cash.

MOM does NOT specify any minimum pay for FDW. It is the Indon authorities that is demanding minimum of $450



Conclusion : don't employ a maid unless you absolutely need one.


becos of the costs involved?

Zhuge
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm
Total Likes: 2


Is home leave paid?

Postby ANGEL2011 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm

My Filipino helper's contract is expiring in two months, I will let her go back to see her families. Do I pay air ticket and the salary during her absent? I do not have a contract, so pls advice me what is the situation.
Another question, after I renewed her WP, do I need to go to Philipine Embassy to apply for a license so that my helper can come back? I do not quite understand this rule, I was told by my agent, it will cost $350.

ANGEL2011
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Is home leave paid?

Postby limcarmel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 am

i paid for the air tics (to and fro) and also the 2 weeks she is away. was told to hold her last month salary, just in case she go home and dun wanna come back.

you need to apply for home leave for fili maid. I did it in one of those fili office in lucky plaza. cost abt 250+. u must apply that for her in order for her to come back to SIN. else she'll be stuck there.

before you apply for her home leave, make sure u renew her WP and insurance first and draft out an employment contract with her.

limcarmel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Domestic Help