Question on sterilisers and baby poridge?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Question on sterilisers and baby poridge?

Postby reilly21 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

we have an electric steriliser and i have been putting normal cold water out of the tap into the bottom then sterilising the bottles is that ok am i doing it right cz my bf told me you have to put cool boiled water in the bottom then sterilise the bottles ( im a new mum ) my daughter is 6 weeks old will she start on baby poridge when shes 3 month or 4?

Re: Question on sterilisers and baby poridge?

Postby straffan23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:02 am

Steriliser. Tap water is fine. There is a heating element that brings the water to a boil, causing it to release steam and hence, steam everything within the steriliser/steamer. You will need to check the manufacturer's instruction on how to clean the element - it gets a bit black/dirty over time, so good to clean it every month or so. Ah.. which reminds me.. I have a pack of Mothercare steriliser cleaning solution - PM me if you are interested.

Re feeding: The current recommendation is that all babies are breastfed or formula fed for the first 6 months. This is to allow their intestines and digestive system to grow and mature. In some cases, however (e.g. if babies are not taking milk well), the pediatrician will instruct the parents on how to add some other food - rice cereal, puree, etc ... otherwise, please, do not be in a hurry (or listen to some old auntie's advice) about introducing porridge/cereal to young babies.

Return to Domestic Help