Would you keep her?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Would you keep her?

Postby Hiaweh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 am

My maid has been with us for 6 months. 2 days ago I caught her sneaking out of the house at midnight and my guess is that she came back between 4-5am. I have no idea what she did or where she went and she didn't bring her hp nor the key access card with her so my front main door was left unlock the whole time she was out.

I have not confronted her on this issue yet and still pretending that I have no idea of her "adventure" coz my dh is out of town. So far she has been doing what is required of her and my kids are ok with her, although lacking in initiative and sometimes shoddy work.

I am expecting another kid in 2 months and we really need an extra pair of hands as I have 2 other children an the younger being only 15 months.

Would you keep her until another replacement comes or let her go immediately?

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby mamago » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 am

Hiaweh wrote:My maid has been with us for 6 months. 2 days ago I caught her sneaking out of the house at midnight and my guess is that she came back between 4-5am. I have no idea what she did or where she went and she didn't bring her hp nor the key access card with her so my front main door was left unlock the whole time she was out.

I have not confronted her on this issue yet and still pretending that I have no idea of her "adventure" coz my dh is out of town. So far she has been doing what is required of her and my kids are ok with her, although lacking in initiative and sometimes shoddy work.

I am expecting another kid in 2 months and we really need an extra pair of hands as I have 2 other children an the younger being only 15 months.

Would you keep her until another replacement comes or let her go immediately?



Should let her go immediately, since you are in a position that you can't confront her nor can you seek verification to her whereabout when she sneaked out. Sneaking out without consent and proper document for identification has already breached the employment contract.

Your family safety is at stake, no one knows what she is capable of, next she might invite some strangers into your house, 2ndly she has not taking your household safety at heart by leaving your door unlocked in the middle of the night...

Please phone the agent to seek a replacement asap...

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm
Total Likes: 10


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby straffan23 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I think you can approach this calmly when your DH is back. Just sit her down and ask her nicely. Maybe she did something innocent - like going out to cry (homesick); or to borrow someone's phone? Instead of saying you saw your front door unlocked, can you bluff and say that you have a camera at the front door. You know who comes in and out and when. So if she is up to mischief, she will think twice. Or, if it makes it more believable, you can say your neighbor has a camera on their front door and it caught her going out?

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm

hi hiaweh,

my experience is that i'm always slapped in my own face whenever i give chances.. u may think that since nothing happen, u should give chance to her.. exactly what i have thought initially.. but when things happen, that's too late...

i can understand the dilemma u r having since u cant afford to lose a helping hand.. i suggest that u let her go and look for a replacement.. if money is not a problem, hire a nanny after ur birth and therefore the new maid with the nanny will be tiding u through the whole period...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:09 pm

but whatever it is, discuss with your dh and see what he thinks... maybe he has better solution for u since he knows u better...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27



Re: Would you keep her?

Postby peapot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi hiaweh, I will let her go immediately. She left the door unlocked jeopardise your family safety and believe me there will be a second time. Infact inform agent to let her know her mistake so that she won't repeat it in the new employer's house. I will always send bad maids back so that they won't have any chance to try their tricks on new employers.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby Hiaweh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Actually there have been occasions where she took our kindness for granted but we just let it pass coz it's a small matter. But this time she really went over the limit and it compromise our safety although our place has security surveillance.

We still have time to find a replacement but it's just that we might not have enough time to train her and for the kids to get used to the new maid before my bb comes along. And also it's very tiring for me to run the household all alone given my current condition. But we have decided to let her go but now it's whether we want to hang on to her a little longer until we find a replacement.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Hiaweh wrote:Actually there have been occasions where she took our kindness for granted but we just let it pass coz it's a small matter. But this time she really went over the limit and it compromise our safety although our place has security surveillance.

We still have time to find a replacement but it's just that we might not have enough time to train her and for the kids to get used to the new maid before my bb comes along. And also it's very tiring for me to run the household all alone given my current condition. But we have decided to let her go but now it's whether we want to hang on to her a little longer until we find a replacement.


If she is behaving well now, keep her till you find replacement.
Are you a SAHM? Then Take the door keys and access card from her. Hand those to her only when it is necessary for her to go out and then take it back.

While I do trust my maid, every night after checking the main door locked, I take the keys and keep then in my bedroom drawers. Just as a precaution. And when I go on vacations, i add another lock on the door whose keys she never has access to. So no one can have a complete set of duplicate keys to my house. I think so easy for a maid to be manupilated into giving her key to a guy who may get a duplicate set. Maybe I am paranoid. :siao:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 145


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby Hiaweh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
Hiaweh wrote:Actually there have been occasions where she took our kindness for granted but we just let it pass coz it's a small matter. But this time she really went over the limit and it compromise our safety although our place has security surveillance.

We still have time to find a replacement but it's just that we might not have enough time to train her and for the kids to get used to the new maid before my bb comes along. And also it's very tiring for me to run the household all alone given my current condition. But we have decided to let her go but now it's whether we want to hang on to her a little longer until we find a replacement.


If she is behaving well now, keep her till you find replacement.
Are you a SAHM? Then Take the door keys and access card from her. Hand those to her only when it is necessary for her to go out and then take it back.

While I do trust my maid, every night after checking the main door locked, I take the keys and keep then in my bedroom drawers. Just as a precaution. And when I go on vacations, i add another lock on the door whose keys she never has access to. So no one can have a complete set of duplicate keys to my house. I think so easy for a maid to be manupilated into giving her key to a guy who may get a duplicate set. Maybe I am paranoid. :siao:


Yes she is still behaving normally but dunno when she will be up to her mischief again. We dun use keys in the estate. All with key access card so even if she doesn't bring our key card, she can still go out but that means leaving our door unlock so that she can come in again without making too much noise. But the only question is that if she had left the lobby then she won't be able to come in again because lobby need card to access unless someone else is also coming in.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Would you keep her?

Postby POA Teacher » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:05 pm

straffan23 wrote:I think you can approach this calmly when your DH is back. Just sit her down and ask her nicely. Maybe she did something innocent - like going out to cry (homesick); or to borrow someone's phone? Instead of saying you saw your front door unlocked, can you bluff and say that you have a camera at the front door. You know who comes in and out and when. So if she is up to mischief, she will think twice. Or, if it makes it more believable, you can say your neighbor has a camera on their front door and it caught her going out?

Sorry, but you are a gullible one aren't you?
Going out to cry? borrow someone's phone? ... in the dead of the night?

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Domestic Help