Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby nkthen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I thought it would be nice to share this with the forum members, in case some of you (or your friends) want to look for a domestic helper (DH).

This set of criteria wasn't created by me, but was given to me by a staff from Nation Maid Agency. Very useful and I think it's a good list to share, very suitable for families who need to put the house and their children under the total care of the DH and you have to trust the DH 100%.

I use this criteria list and we found our first DH, a very good DH and she's back with us for a 2nd time. We hired 2 more maids with the same criteria and it work well for us too. I gave this list to a couple of my friends and they also got the ideal DH they want for the very first time.

So this criteria list should work. :)

OK, here is the list. The DH should be:

1) At least 30 years old.
Reason: Should have certain maturity and enough life-experiences. Try not to get DHs who are reaching 40 years old.

2) Married.
Reason: So that they will not look for a boyfriend.

3) Have at least 2 kids.
Reason: They have REAL experience of handling kids.

4) The kids must be at least 10 years old. If one of the kid is about 14-15 years old, it's even better. (Important)
Reason: So that the DH wouldn't have to miss their kids and at least they have done their part as a mother for their initial 10 years.

5) Worked as a DH before. (Optional)
Reason: They know what is expected of becoming a DH.

6) Worked as a DH but NOT in Singapore. (Optional)
Reason: There is a lesser chance that they have friends in Singapore.

7) Husband is still alive. (Optional)
Reason: They won't look for a new husband.


To me, the first 4 criteria are the most important. (5) to (7) can be optional. If you base on this list, most of the time you will have higher chance of getting DHs that are honest and hardworking.

A note to (4), I would recommend to get DH with kids who are 14-15 years old. You see, most of the time, these DH want to work in Singapore because they want to pay/save-up for their children's college and/or University education, which is the reason why (4) is an important criteria. These DH won't play play because they NEED the money to fund their kid's education.

Feel free to share this list. :)


P.S. While this list is useful, I hold no responsibilities to the DH you have chosen. This list only help REDUCE the chances of getting an incompetent DH, not a 100% sure-fire way.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby nms1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 am

I think it really does depend on the person. For my first few maids I did go for the married with children but more because I liked them (they were transfers) than because of them being married.

My current maid only meets criteria no. 5 but I am in the process of renewing her contract. She has no interest in finding a boyfriend and usually comes back early on her days off, she is great with my kids and is able to handle my m-i-l's strange ways as well. While she isn't perfect as she can be a bit nosey & a bit of a know-it-all, these are personality traits and have no impact on her ability to do her job.
Last edited by nms1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby nkthen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am

nms1 wrote:I think it really does depend on the person. For my first few maids I did go for the married with children but more because I liked them (they were transfers) than because of them being married.

My current maid only meets criteria no. 5 but I am in the process of renewing her contract. She has no interest in finding a boyfriend and usually comes back early on her days off, she is great with my kids and is able to handle my m-i-l's strange ways as well. While she isn't perfect as she can be a bit nosey & a bit of a know-it-all, these are personality traits and have no impact on her ability top do her job.

That's great for you. As mentioned, this is not a definite list but it will help a lot for parents who are hiring DHs for the first time.

At least it works for me and a couple of my friends when using this list.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

nkthen wrote:I thought it would be nice to share this with the forum members, in case some of you (or your friends) want to look for a domestic helper (DH).

This set of criteria wasn't created by me, but was given to me by a staff from Nation Maid Agency. Very useful and I think it's a good list to share, very suitable for families who need to put the house and their children under the total care of the DH and you have to trust the DH 100%.

I use this criteria list and we found our first DH, a very good DH and she's back with us for a 2nd time. We hired 2 more maids with the same criteria and it work well for us too. I gave this list to a couple of my friends and they also got the ideal DH they want for the very first time.

So this criteria list should work. :)

OK, here is the list. The DH should be:

1) At least 30 years old.
Reason: Should have certain maturity and enough life-experiences. Try not to get DHs who are reaching 40 years old.

2) Married.
Reason: So that they will not look for a boyfriend.

3) Have at least 2 kids.
Reason: They have REAL experience of handling kids.

4) The kids must be at least 10 years old. If one of the kid is about 14-15 years old, it's even better. (Important)
Reason: So that the DH wouldn't have to miss their kids and at least they have done their part as a mother for their initial 10 years.

5) Worked as a DH before. (Optional)
Reason: They know what is expected of becoming a DH.

6) Worked as a DH but NOT in Singapore. (Optional)
Reason: There is a lesser chance that they have friends in Singapore.

7) Husband is still alive. (Optional)
Reason: They won't look for a new husband.


To me, the first 4 criteria are the most important. (5) to (7) can be optional. If you base on this list, most of the time you will have higher chance of getting DHs that are honest and hardworking.

A note to (4), I would recommend to get DH with kids who are 14-15 years old. You see, most of the time, these DH want to work in Singapore because they want to pay/save-up for their children's college and/or University education, which is the reason why (4) is an important criteria. These DH won't play play because they NEED the money to fund their kid's education.

Feel free to share this list. :)


P.S. While this list is useful, I hold no responsibilities to the DH you have chosen. This list only help REDUCE the chances of getting an incompetent DH, not a 100% sure-fire way.



Few months before my indon maid who has worked for me for about 3 yrs left for her home leave, her father wanted her to return home for good to get married ( her side of the story ) :shrug:

I explained and educated her that she should decide for herself her path and she totally agreed with me that she has no good reason to get married and promised me that she will return and renew her contract with me after her home leave :xedfingers:

She happily left 2 weeks ago, on the morning that she suppose to depart from indonesia airport , i called her to confirm her departure, guess what :sweat: she was still at home :scared: she told me her boyfriend want her to stay on :rant: :rant: return :stompfeet: :stompfeet: i offer/beg/pleaded for her to come back till Oct but she refused :frustrated: :frustrated: :slapshead: :slapshead: :mad: :mad:
what should i do now !!!!
i m a ftwm, hubby n me now need to take leave to take care of p2 , p4, 2 yrs old children, my mom who is also taking care of another set of 4 grandchildren need to come n "tong" , my colleage suddenly need to take hospitalisation leave, so my boss is :sad: about my absence fr work....
I already "boey tan han" n got to see a doctor this morning for gastri pain :gloomy:

snowball
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby MizzNAH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 pm

I fully agreed with the first 3 criteria, but after having more than 8 maids, i would add further that luck also play a part in getting a decent maid.

MizzNAH
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Choosing a domestic helper? Here's how...

Postby nkthen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 pm

MizzNAH wrote:I fully agreed with the first 3 criteria, but after having more than 8 maids, i would add further that luck also play a part in getting a decent maid.

Of course, but with the above criteria, you have better luck, isn't it? :smile:

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:54 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Domestic Help