Toaster Oven vs Electric Oven vs Microwave Oven

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Toaster Oven vs Electric Oven vs Microwave Oven

Postby jnj0910 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 am

Hi,

I have a microwave oven with a grill and bake function, but it needs to be
pre-heated about half hour - 45 min, so looking for something that works faster.

Does Electric Oven require pre-heating or can it grill/roast /bake once you
switch on the timer/level?

Can a Toaster Oven also roast / grill or is it only good for toasting bread?

Is the Gas Oven any different from Electric Oven in terms of function?

Many thanks for advice and inputs!

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Toaster Oven vs Electric Oven vs Microwave Oven

Postby POA Teacher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am

You don't have to preheat any ovens if you are so impatient. :evil: But then your food would be yucks :laugh: It's not that the oven needs to be pre-heated, but that you need a constant and appropriate temperature to bake/cook your food. So preheat your oven to achieve that.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 am

I've tried all types over the years. The combination microwave/convection ovens take a long time to pre-heat, so if you bake often, go for a conventional oven as they heat up faster (under 10 mins). Toaster ovens are small and usually don't have temperature controls, so they are only good for small items which can take high temperatures. Anything else will burn outside and be cold inside. I have used gas ovens before, but a long time ago and not often, so can't really compare with modern electric ovens.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jnj0910 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 pm

POA Teacher wrote:You don't have to preheat any ovens if you are so impatient. :evil: But then your food would be yucks :laugh: It's not that the oven needs to be pre-heated, but that you need a constant and appropriate temperature to bake/cook your food. So preheat your oven to achieve that.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining why the need for pre-heating!
No lah, I am normally not that impatient, but am coping with housework and 2 toddlers without maid and am just barely making it...
Back to FT work soon and thought an oven that didn't need preheating would be great to cook dinner ready in ... 30 mins ???

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jnj0910 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I've tried all types over the years. The combination microwave/convection ovens take a long time to pre-heat, so if you bake often, go for a conventional oven as they heat up faster (under 10 mins). Toaster ovens are small and usually don't have temperature controls, so they are only good for small items which can take high temperatures. Anything else will burn outside and be cold inside. I have used gas ovens before, but a long time ago and not often, so can't really compare with modern electric ovens.

Conventional oven is same as electric oven that I see in Courts?
Looks like I should drop the idea of a toaster oven since I need something to cook dinner for a family....
Actually, I do have a gas oven that has never been used, its part of my stand-alone stove...

Can anyone advise if Gas Oven is the same as Electric oven in terms of speed of pre-heating and cooking? ie the only difference is their power source: one is gas, one is electric?
Would be great if I don't need to get another oven, DH grumbling where got space to put another oven?? :P

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 pm

jnj0910 wrote:Can anyone advise if Gas Oven is the same as Electric oven in terms of speed of pre-heating and cooking? ie the only difference is their power source: one is gas, one is electric?
Would be great if I don't need to get another oven, DH grumbling where got space to put another oven?? :P

Should be the same. When I used a gas oven, the pre-heating was quite fast too. I don't understand why the combination microwave/convection ovens take so long to pre-heat. Once the correct temperature is reached, cooking time is the same.

I don't know what recipes you are planning to use, but my impression is that most oven-cooked meat dishes take longer than 30mins. I mostly cook stews on the stove-top as I find that is faster than cooking in the oven. You can also try using a thermal pot for stews - I've heard lots of good reviews and plan to get one soon.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby st2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

If I remember correctly, my gas oven long time ago, I had to light up. Pre heat is a little faster, maybe by 3-5 mins faster because of the direct flame, you can't really expect instant heat. Any oven is at least 10 to 20 mins to get the required constant temperature to cook your food.

Nothing is faster than stir fry. Of course it will take time to prepare - wash, cut the ingredients.

The other way to go is slow cooker/thermal pot. You must like soupy or braised type of food. You cook everything in the morning and dinner is ready when you come home. This is cleaner and you can break up the preparation time.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby st2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:57 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jnj0910 wrote:Can anyone advise if Gas Oven is the same as Electric oven in terms of speed of pre-heating and cooking? ie the only difference is their power source: one is gas, one is electric?

Should be the same. When I used a gas oven, the pre-heating was quite fast too. I don't understand why the combination microwave/convection ovens take so long to pre-heat. Once the correct temperature is reached, cooking time is the same.

I don't know what recipes you are planning to use, but my impression is that most oven-cooked meat dishes take longer than 30mins. I mostly cook stews on the stove-top as I find that is faster than cooking in the oven. You can also try using a thermal pot for stews - I've heard lots of good reviews and plan to get one soon.

I am considering thermal pot too. Which brand thermal cooker you looking at? Where have you read the reviews.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm

st2 wrote:I am considering thermal pot too. Which brand thermal cooker you looking at? Where have you read the reviews.

Sorry, I am living overseas, so I only hear from friends etc and haven't done any proper research as they aren't sold here. I am planning to buy in Singapore eventually but currently I have no idea what brands are good. I expect there is a discussion on this website about thermal pots if you do a search.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jnj0910 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 am

I don't know what recipes you are planning to use, but my impression is that most oven-cooked meat dishes take longer than 30mins. I mostly cook stews on the stove-top as I find that is faster than cooking in the oven. You can also try using a thermal pot for stews - I've heard lots of good reviews and plan to get one soon.[/quote]

I was just thinking of doing simple roasting in the oven...cut chicken/ pork ribs etc etc, thought if I defrost overnight and prep in morning, then can just pop into oven and let it roast/grill til cooked. Cut up pieces should cook quickly than whole chicken, for instance, so I am wishfully hoping it will cook in 30min or less, plus 10 min pre heat for gas oven... yay!!
I haven't tried it out though...

I am also using a thermal pot, but thought cannot leave food inside for > 6 or 7 hours, else they'll spoil, think i read it in manual or someone told me, can't remember. So won't the food spoil if I cook in morning and it stays in pot for almost 12 hours?

jnj0910
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help