Spore MOM allows live out maids??

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Spore MOM allows live out maids??

Postby sad citizen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 am

I saw this ad, my questions are:
1) MOM work stated FDW must work in registered address? Can live out in church or elsewhere?
2) really legal?

I would love to have a live out FDW but a FDW that works only 3 days get paid for S$300, need to pay her levy (S$265/170??), cost more than our local full-time babysitter/nanny!!

This is not the first time I see live-out maid ad. Gu***** has maids posting ad themselves, finding live-out jobs.

For the last few months, I have employed a live-out part-time Philippino helper who lives at a church mission in north-western Singapore and comes to my house 3 days a week. We are moving back to Australia and now Zeny needs new family to work for.

It is an entirely legal arrangement so Zeny has a domestic worker's permit and the agent I signed her contract with explained that so long as her employer knows where she stays at night, Zeny is allowed to live outside her employer's home.

Zeny has previous experience working in Singapore (she worked for a Chilean family here for several years), she can cook, she cleans and does the laundry and has a lovely manner with our two young sons. She is a trained midwife, but needs part-time work so she can continue her church activities.

She asks for a half salary of $300 for 3 days work a week. You also have to pay the standard govt levy each month.

Zeny can transfer to a new employer this month.

I find this arrangement to be perfect for us - having tried a live-in maid and found that it didn't work for our family, with Zeny we have the benefits of regular cleaning work, one night of babysitting a week and all the privacy we want in our own home when she leaves!

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Spore MOM allows live out maids??

Postby st2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Maybe should alert MOM?!?!

The maid agency may have told this expat it's legal but i doubt so. They were just not caught, the expat hired maid for a few months.

Everything appears to be FDW, just live out and work 3 days for $300 and employer pay full levy.

For all you know, it's a maid posting this. I think should definitely alert MOM.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:39 pm

So the other 4 days what she does? How she survive with $300 in Singapore staying out (still need transport to & fro to our house leh)? Work for another family to earn another $300 - $400? Can meh???? Since the permit can only work for 1 family!!!!

I have doubt on this advertisement!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby st2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I've heard stuff, but not from horses' mouth and don't know who the maids are -

Maid have boyfriend (usually expat), live with him and do part time cleaning few houses, permanent and ad-hoc. Make much more money this way and have freedom. Some people pay this arrangement $30 per 3 hour block.

I never thought anyone would be bold enough to post the above ad online and call it legal.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:31 am

It's totally illegal - from the MOM regulations..........

"If the foreign employee whose occupation as stated in the Work Permit is that of a “domestic worker”, the foreign employee shall only perform household and domestic duties and reside at the employer’s residential
address or residential premises as stated in the Work Permit and visit pass. "

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pokomummy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:59 am

Obviously... the maid is advertising for herself...

Nowadays maid so high-tech, last time use cold storage message board to put up free ads, now use online classified ads..

maid too smart duno whether good or not? :shrug:

pokomummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sad citizen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 am

When a FDW is able to go online, be it secretly using employers' facilities or her own wireless, I will not hire her. :scared:

The first question I'll ask a transfer maid is can you live without a mobile?
If she wants to work for me but refused to part with her mobile during working hours, she is a no-no. It is obvious FDW is here to make friends, not to focus on her role as domestic worker. Earning money is not her top priority! :sweat:

I know she's lonely in Sg but my FDW can step out of my house to chit chat while taking my kid to playground or when she does her marketing (alone) almost everyday so I don't see the reason why mobile phone is a must. :?

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nms1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm

sad citizen wrote:When a FDW is able to go online, be it secretly using employers' facilities or her own wireless, I will not hire her. :scared:

The first question I'll ask a transfer maid is can you live without a mobile?
If she wants to work for me but refused to part with her mobile during working hours, she is a no-no. It is obvious FDW is here to make friends, not to focus on her role as domestic worker. Earning money is not her top priority! :sweat:

I know she's lonely in Sg but my FDW can step out of my house to chit chat while taking my kid to playground or when she does her marketing (alone) almost everyday so I don't see the reason why mobile phone is a must. :?

Please just take a step back here - if you were in a foreign country cut off from your family and friends, how would you feel? We have to put ourselves in their shoes sometimes. Is it fair that she is only allowed to speak to people she meets in the course of her work? I would rather my maid was in touch with her cousins and people she knows than just talking to strangers in the market.

I agree that they need to restrict mobile phone usage during working hours but their hours are very long so I think we can turn a blind eye to the occasional SMS as long as they are not compromising their safety or that of their children. If you can honestly say that you have never made a personal phone call at work, taken a slightly longer lunch break, chatted over coffee with a colleague, surfed the internet then OK, maybe you have the right to impose the same on your maid. But how many of us can really say that?

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

1 people like this post

Postby sad citizen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am

[quote="nms1]Please just take a step back here - if you were in a foreign country cut off from your family and friends, how would you feel? We have to put ourselves in their shoes sometimes. Is it fair that she is only allowed to speak to people she meets in the course of her work? I would rather my maid was in touch with her cousins and people she knows than just talking to strangers in the market.

I agree that they need to restrict mobile phone usage during working hours but their hours are very long so I think we can turn a blind eye to the occasional SMS as long as they are not compromising their safety or that of their children. If you can honestly say that you have never made a personal phone call at work, taken a slightly longer lunch break, chatted over coffee with a colleague, surfed the internet then OK, maybe you have the right to impose the same on your maid. But how many of us can really say that?[/quote]

It is your choice to be a perfect employer.

Singapore FDWs are no longer living in ancient age.
FDWs get to choose what sort of environment and type of employer they want to work for, especially those transfer maids waiting to be recycled. I don't like fresh maid because I can't interview them in person so misunderstanding could arise over web-interview or plainly on bio data.

Transfer FDW and employer both need to pay agency fee so it is only fair that both get to choose what they prefer. :moneyflies: It is a 2-year long relationship, not 2 days or 2 months. Knowing holding mobile phone 24/7 is an issue, why should I make my life miserable, compromise and expose my child to risks? I bear all the liabilities, not agency, you or FDW.

If a FDW is unable to agree to my requests and put so much focus on her mobile to ease her boredom or hope to get every opportunity to stay close to her relatives and usual cycle of friends, FDW should turn down my offer flatly. Don't lie and agree to my so-call harsh terms just to be recycled and then try to manage me in my house.

It is bad to hire a FDW who often say "not happy, send me back to agent". :stompfeet: My style is to have a honest and transparent relationship, everything I can give, my requirements, they are all listed on the paper.

Do you know FDWs are no longer vunerable, they know their rights in Spore?
Do you know FDWs get mandatory weekly off days next year? Even if current contract states no off day or employer compensated them but they can still bargain for off days after working with you, in the form of better benefit? :frustrated:

Anything unacceptable, deemed too harsh or inhuman, based on my experience, transfer maids know how to say No so I don't think you need to worry about transfer FDWs being forced to be employed by employer who have similar request such as mine.

:xedfingers:

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Linlin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am

sad citizen wrote:[quote="nms1]Please just take a step back here - if you were in a foreign country cut off from your family and friends, how would you feel? We have to put ourselves in their shoes sometimes. Is it fair that she is only allowed to speak to people she meets in the course of her work? I would rather my maid was in touch with her cousins and people she knows than just talking to strangers in the market.

I agree that they need to restrict mobile phone usage during working hours but their hours are very long so I think we can turn a blind eye to the occasional SMS as long as they are not compromising their safety or that of their children. If you can honestly say that you have never made a personal phone call at work, taken a slightly longer lunch break, chatted over coffee with a colleague, surfed the internet then OK, maybe you have the right to impose the same on your maid. But how many of us can really say that?[/quote]

It is your choice to be a perfect employer.

Singapore FDWs are no longer living in ancient age.
FDWs get to choose what sort of environment and type of employer they want to work for, especially those transfer maids waiting to be recycled. I don't like fresh maid because I can't interview them in person so misunderstanding could arise over web-interview or plainly on bio data.

Transfer FDW and employer both need to pay agency fee so it is only fair that both get to choose what they prefer. :moneyflies: It is a 2-year long relationship, not 2 days or 2 months. Knowing holding mobile phone 24/7 is an issue, why should I make my life miserable, compromise and expose my child to risks? I bear all the liabilities, not agency, you or FDW.

If a FDW is unable to agree to my requests and put so much focus on her mobile to ease her boredom or hope to get every opportunity to stay close to her relatives and usual cycle of friends, FDW should turn down my offer flatly. Don't lie and agree to my so-call harsh terms just to be recycled and then try to manage me in my house.

It is bad to hire a FDW who often say "not happy, send me back to agent". :stompfeet: My style is to have a honest and transparent relationship, everything I can give, my requirements, they are all listed on the paper.

Do you know FDWs are no longer vunerable, they know their rights in Spore?
Do you know FDWs get mandatory weekly off days next year? Even if current contract states no off day or employer compensated them but they can still bargain for off days after working with you, in the form of better benefit? :frustrated:

Anything unacceptable, deemed too harsh or inhuman, based on my experience, transfer maids know how to say No so I don't think you need to worry about transfer FDWs being forced to be employed by employer who have similar request such as mine.

:xedfingers:[/quote]

Well said. If they want freedom then is better to choose other job than maid.

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help