by Year 2030, FDWs increase by 50%

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

by Year 2030, FDWs increase by 50%

Postby sad citizen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Thought already a lot of FDWs flooding Spore, why do we need a 50% increase? Wonder gov controlling demand or not, getting more people offer them levy, smart!! All the risks on employers.... evil.
Thought gov busy building eldercare centres?

Demand for foreign manpower expected to increase in 2030
It said the projections are not targets but illustrate the growth and change in demand for workers in these sectors based on certain assumptions drawn from the country's demographic and demand trends.

For example, with Singapore's ageing population, there will be fewer young people for each elderly person. The ageing population would require more healthcare services.

The demand for healthcare workers is expected to grow from 50,000 in 2011 to 91,000 in 2030. NPTD said of this total, 28,000 are projected to be foreign healthcare workers, up from 13,000 in 2011.

The demand for foreign domestic workers (FDWs) could rise from 198,000 in 2011 to 300,000 by 2030. This is due to the expected rise in the number of resident households with young and/or elderly persons and the number of households where both spouses are working.

-Channel News Asia, 12 Nov 2012

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: by Year 2030, FDWs increase by 50%

Postby Pure Purple » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 am

I've seen how my grandmother and my hubby's grandmother aged, become bedridden and needed full-time care, both for a number of years before they passed on. They both had FDWs. I'm thankful my grandmother had someone to live with, make food for her, turn on/off the TV/fan for her, turn her from side to side to keep bed sores at bay, eventually tube feed her at home with occasional visits by nurses. All the time, she was conscious even when she lost her ability to speak.

While elder care services can do with some improvements and expansion. i suspect the FDWs will still be needed by many families as we no longer have the culture of a filial child (usually daughter) staying by an elderly person's side to help care for them full-time. It is also a very physically demanding job, for example bathing an old person who is not mobile.

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nansk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

I agree with Pure Purple's thoughts here. I would not like to consign my ageing parents to eldercare homes, if I could help it. If I need to keep working (earning)and I can employ an FDW for my parent(s) day-time care, that is what I would choose to do.

I, personally, don't relish the prospect of living out my last days in an eldercare home. If my child can accomodate me in her home, that is where I would prefer to live. At least I will get to see my child/grandchild after office/school hours every day.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby straffan23 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 pm

In Asia, there is still a strong stigma on external care services (eldercare, old folks home, palliative care, etc). This resonates with the inherently strong value of fillial piety. This means that for many families, whether it is the elderly themselves, or their care-takers.... daycare and eldercare will not be the first choice.

Because of the need for dual income, plus heavy parental involvement in the children's education, it also makes it quite difficult for someone like a SAHM to be the primary caretaker. This leaves us to either getting an FDW, or hire 24x7 professional help. 24x7 professional nurse costs $360/day. Day help cost $120/day. Not many can afford. These jobs can be quite demanding of attention and time as well as patience - we're looking at the age group of caretakers between 25 to 50? Not easy to find someone local in this age group.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Pure Purple wrote:It is also a very physically demanding job, for example bathing an old person who is not mobile.

Given a choice, most aged people will not want to live their last few years in old ages home. My grandmother is 84. She has dementia and even before that, she is not an easy person. She used to stay 1 week at each of her children's place but she isn't happy with arrangement. She had a mild stroke, but she recovered from it bcos the stroke was detected within 1 hour...she cannot be home alone. Putting her in old age home is last option. So employed a FDW.
With a helper now, she is at own home, which is what she wants.
With more people aging, it is not surprising there will be an increase in FDWs.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sad citizen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

sad citizen wrote:Thought already a lot of FDWs flooding Spore, why do we need a 50% increase? Wonder gov controlling demand or not, getting more people offer them levy, smart!! All the risks on employers.... evil.
Thought gov busy building eldercare centres?

Since eldercare centres can't solve issue on filial piety, it means it is a necessity, not a luxury so why our govt can't waiver levy to the needy .... those households who qualify to apply FDW grant?

Same for childcare centres, some parents have 2 or more kids, makes more money sense to hire FDWs so why govt on one hand talk about controlling FDW demand, baby shortage but refused to waive levy, remove security bond and repatriation costs of a bad FDW?

Totally agree the need for FDWs for such instance but making employers bear all the risks and liabilities, I just don't understand the theory and why we must be the ones to foot the bill!

Why MOM didn't say hiring FDWs will be more 'affordable', less mental stress and financial loss to FDWs-employers?

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Sorry but what is the issue here :?
That there is levy for FWD?
Or that employer is responsible for amoung other things repartiation of FWD?
Or that there will be an increase in FWD by 50% in another 18 years.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:Sorry but what is the issue here :?
That there is levy for FWD?
Or that employer is responsible for amoung other things repartiation of FWD?
Or that there will be an increase in FWD by 50% in another 18 years.

Yeah! I understood the original post to be expressing concern about the projected 50% increase, which is why I responded with my thoughts.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sad citizen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 am

sad citizen wrote:Totally agree the need for FDWs for such instance but making employers bear all the risks and liabilities, I just don't understand the theory and why we must be the ones to foot the bill!

Why MOM didn't say hiring FDWs will be more 'affordable', less mental stress and financial loss to FDWs-employers?

nansk wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:Sorry but what is the issue here :? ABOUT NECESSITY

That there is levy for FWD? YES
Or that employer is responsible for amoung other things repartiation of FWD? YES-our liabilities as employers. Agency, embassy and MOM have nothing to lose, always standing on the winning side

Or that there will be an increase in FWD by 50% in another 18 years.NECESSITY, thus should make FDWs more affordable, less liabilities to those households eligible to apply FDW grant http://www.cel.sg/Schemes__Foreign-Dome ... rant_.aspx

Yeah! I understood the original post to be expressing concern about the projected 50% increase, which is why I responded with my thoughts.

Govt has all along been telling employers collecting levy from us is a form of control on the demand of FDWs. It can't be waived!

By telling the whole Sg to expect an increase of FDWs by 50%, means hiring FDWs is a necessity for certain household. Since it is a necessity, why the employment terms are so tough on employers who really depend on FDWs?

:sad: ermm.... did I cause more confusion :?

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pure Purple » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 pm

I guess it's balancing with consequences/impact of having these FDWs, in such high numbers, the social fabric we want of this country.

If the levy is reduced/waived, the projected increase would be an even higer figure.

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Domestic Help