maid day off: advice please

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

maid day off: advice please

Postby clioclio » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi,
My maid is taking her first day off next month. Can I just ask what are some of the guidelines that KS parents out there have with regards to this?

As in:
Day off means the whole day?
Like, they can leave the house any time they want to, and really no need to do any housework or work that day at all.
What time do you tell them that they must return home by?

Do you actually tell her cannot leave the house before 8am (as i know of some households who do that)
Is it unreasonable to ask her to help get my kids wash up (in the morning) before she leaves the house?

Does anyone of your maids actually stay at home on her day off? But not work? is it awkward?

The contract drawn up by the agency states that I have to pay her $20 every month if she does not take day off. So, let say for example...She goes out the whole day, but comes home in the evening. But my family leaves to go to grandparents house for dinner around the same time. If she comes with us (to help mind the kids and help with washing up of dishes), is this still counted as her day off (meaning, unpaid day?) Or what if I come back home after the dinner at grandparents and she helps with the bathing and getting kids to bed part...

Just want to have a clearer idea ,,, thanks in advance! :xedfingers:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: maid day off: advice please

Postby iLoveChubby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:34 pm

My current helper is out from 10am-8pm on her off days.
She will finish some washing/ironing/breakfast preparation before she goes off... and when she is back (s'times earlier), she will continue to do the housechores till late.
I guess diff maids/employers hv diff expectations/requirements... my ex maid wanted off fr 8am-9pm and she hardly did any housechores for the day.
Just a guide.. you shd work something out with your maid.

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pokomummy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:23 am

I think the definition of day off means from 12:01am to 11:59pm, basically 24 hours... but who will give such a long day off?

I give my maid 12 hours, 8am to 8pm.. if she comes home earlier to rest, it's her choice.

Perhaps the best is to get MOM to respond to your query, to playsafe. :?: Nowadays, maids very clever to complain, so dont play play! :gloomy:

pokomummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:51 am

It is up to negotiation but I would say that the vast majority of maids here will still help with breakfast and other morning duties before going off around 9am. The "curfew" time can vary from 6pm - 9pm. You need to work out what is best for your family i.e. will fit in with your routine.

Regarding your situation with visiting the grandparents, I would suggest that you sound her out first and see what time she would like to come back. Some maids do not want to come back late as their friends all go home early. You could give her the choice of coming with you but it still being counted as a day off or staying at home. Chances are she will want to come as then she will get dinner!

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby peapot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Clioclio, If the maid is going to calculate with u to such extent then I suggest you do the same with her. Helping out before going out and after coming back is normal. If she minds then you should calculate with her how much water she can use to shower and she cannot charge her Hp because its using your electricity. Contract did not say she can use your Hse electricity to charge Hp right?

To me, helping out around the Hse before going out is just being part of the family. If she don't see it that way then turn the tables on her.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 pm

peapot wrote:Clioclio, If the maid is going to calculate with u to such extent then I suggest you do the same with her. Helping out before going out and after coming back is normal. If she minds then you should calculate with her how much water she can use to shower and she cannot charge her Hp because its using your electricity. Contract did not say she can use your Hse electricity to charge Hp right?

To me, helping out around the Hse before going out is just being part of the family. If she don't see it that way then turn the tables on her.

Peapot - chill!

I don't think the OP said that her maid was asking, just that she waneed to be prepared.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby buds » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 pm

How many children & how old?
Washing up children won't take so long.
Even if washing them up ourselves, right?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Yes nms,I m chilling now. You can see I get really frustrated whenever I m in domestic thread. The things you hear *headaches*

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 pm

LOL, if i have a calculative maid I would also calculate with her :)
But she is so far so good. But i guess peapot has a point--i had my fair share of horror maids stories so i just wanna be prepared.

Want to know what is a fair request and prevent feelings of resentment (hidden or otherwise) from my current maid.

My kids are still fairly young--1, 3, 5 yr old.
I dun mind getting them wash up, but extra help is always appreciated :)

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Yanchong » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Anyone got good transfer maid ?

Yanchong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Domestic Help