Maid's passport and work permit - who keep?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid's passport and work permit - who keep?

Postby FanFanX » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 am

Hi

Just collected maid's passport and work permit from agency.
Should I keep them or should I let the maid keep them?

For work permit, I can photocopy one for her, so that she has something to show to police if she got spot-check by police when she is on her day-off?

Thanks!

FanFanX
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Maid's passport and work permit - who keep?

Postby chloecube » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 am

i keep her pass port and she will keep her work permit
she has been with me for 3-4 yrs and goes out every sunday to the church and sometime run her own errands. she needs to have her work permit with her.

chloecube
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mother777 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, I agree.
Pls keep the passport with you and just give the work permit to the maid. The maid is supposed to carry the work permit whenever she goes outside.

Keeping the passport will give you a bit of control over your maid, deterent against running away.

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby AdonciaTang » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:01 pm

FanFanX wrote:Hi

Just collected maid's passport and work permit from agency.
Should I keep them or should I let the maid keep them?

For work permit, I can photocopy one for her, so that she has something to show to police if she got spot-check by police when she is on her day-off?

Thanks!

You have to keep it! I keep it and dont let my maid have it. I donno what she would do, especially if she is new in my household!

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bernice » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm

I keep both with me but I will let her to have her work permit during her off days.

bernice
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 am

You are not supposed to keep either but I think most employers do hold onto the passport.

My maid has her WP all the time and will ask me if she needs her passport or any other paperwork. To be honest, if she wanted her passport for any wrong-doing all she needs to do is tell me she needs it for something and she could have it, but I guess it just makes it a little bit harder and gives me the peace of mind that she hasn't lost it or anything silly.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Linlin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:08 pm

There is no rules that they should keep both as long as they have document to identify themselves like WP is good enough. But majority will print a copy for them instead of the card in case if is wrong you still have to trouble yourself to get another WP for them. At the end of the day, you are responsible for them so if their PP or WP lost u will need to take leave to settle for them.. So to save for trouble which method will you choose?

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 pm

From the MOM guidelines:

Retention of FDW’s Work Permit and Passport
• You must not retain your FDW’s Work Permit
She should carry her original Work Permit wth her at all times for inspection on demand by any public officer.
• You must not retain your FDW’s passport without her consent
If prior consent was given for you to safekeep the passport, you must return the passport to your FDW upon her request.
Last edited by nms1 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:40 pm

A few years ago, a policeman came to our house with our maid. She was found not having her WP with her on her day off. At that time we did not know that she is supposed to have her WP with her at all times when she goes out. So, we were told to give the WP to the maid. We only keep her passport since then.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Domestic Help