New maid asking for extras

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

New maid asking for extras

Postby anusha9504 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:48 am

Hi

My new maid has been with me for about 2 weeks now. My usual practice has always been to provide my maids with shampoo, soap, sanitary pads, toothpaste, brushes n hand lotion. This new maid didn't have any nail clippers or tweezers so bought those for her myself. One our first grocery trip I asked her if she is short of any toiletries n she said no. Then she asked me for baby powder. I got her one bottle since its not costly n I want her to smell good. The second trip I didn't ask her anything but she asked me for deodorant. That's when I told her that to me these additional things are extra n I don't normally pay for them. But she's got no money so I told her I'll get it for her this time but in future she's going to have to pay herself. Now I'm worried that she thinks she can just ask for anything n get it. Wondering if I made a mistake getting the two items for her. They are small things n not very costly but I dont want her to become demanding n then I have to deal with bad attitude if I happen to say no in future. What should I say if she asks for more things at the next trip? Two consecutive trips in two weeks was too much. If she had asked me for the second thing next month I might not have minded.

anusha9504
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: New maid asking for extras

Postby pinkybear » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:16 am

Sorry may be I spoil the market.

Actually I provide these to all my maids. When the new maid arrives I will buy a new set of tshirts, deodorant, soap, shampoo, sanitary pads, toothpaste, toothbrush, facial wash and nail clipper. Then I will bring them to buy new slipper, short, jeans, shoes, bra, panties, etc.

Some of them are very poor, they came with torn panties & bra and tshirt & shorts have holes. I feel sorry for them. I will ask them to throw away the old clothes and I will replace them with new ones.

By doing this, I hope they will work hard in my house, dont give me nonsense.

pinkybear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nms1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:17 am

I would suggest that you make it clear - maybe write down - what you will provide and what you won't. This can cover toiletries as well as food, phone cards, phone calls etc.

Deodorant probably is an essential item so if she doesn't have any money it may be a genuine need that she is expressing. Baby powder won't help if she's not using deodorant ;-)
Last edited by nms1 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Linlin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't provide medi, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush but not pad. If they prefers certain brand they have to pay for it. Nail clipper, tweezers etc they got bring their own if don't have I will buy one set for them. As for the rest..like deodorant I only buy for my this maid previous one they got bring their own if not they will buy themselves. I never came across clothes like torn pants, clothing but I do have clothes prepare for them. For going out I got uniform for them so they don't need to think what to wear in fact I think is better.

Linlin
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby erista » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm

For all my maids so far I will provide toliteries such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, facial wash & deodorant. But it would be my choice of brand & they will be informed to use it appropriately (i.e. Use sparingly). This is because I made the mistake of not stating that & my 1st maid finished a huge tube of toothpaste in less than 2mths.

They will be required to buy their own sanitary pad & if they don't like the brand I bought, they have to pay for themselves. We prefer them to not apply body lotion or hand cream because we are afraid they may apply during the day & handle the children... Which I myself only apply at night after my kids are sleeping.

I've not come across any maid that came with torn clothes, but during CNY I will buy a set of new tee-shirt & bermudas or pants for them.

erista
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby matrix0405 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am

Under the old scheme, when salary was $300, they paying their own loan, buy for them. Under new scheme, they come with no loan and salary is $500, they can afford these extra.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Domestic Help