how do I get my partner to help out in the house?!

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

how do I get my partner to help out in the house?!

Postby jemkoh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

srsly, this is so annoying, i wish i could get my husband to help out in the household chores sometimes. Anyone out there with any advice!

kindly help! we quarrel about this pretty often. :/

jemkoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: how do I get my partner to help out in the house?!

Postby Canvas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 pm

actually to live with someone from a totally different upbringing can be testing. My dh doesn't do house chores too even when i was working full time but he brings in the bacon and does stuff like plumbing or changing lights or runs errands when I ask him to. I remember an elderly NZ colleague told me 15 years ago that a marriage is too precious to waste energy fighting over trivial things like chores. If the couple can afford it, hire help. That will lessen friction and allow more time to spend together.

I accepted that dh was never brought up to do chores (his job was to study well and he did just that) and although I am now a sahm, I have a part time helper once a week to do the ironing that I hate. My sil told me she'd be getting a maid once her new house is here because she is sick of quarrelling with my brother. :sweat:

I suggest you get help too if you feel tired doing everything yourself.

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jemkoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm

yeah, i probably will. was just looking at household items and I came across this. lol. how apt!

https://www.facebook.com/ScotchBriteSG/ ... 7335150050

was watching the video, and I duno if i shld laugh or cry. T_T

jemkoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Funz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Agree that if you can afford it, get part time help and close one eye. Don't fight over such matters, not worth it.

Before kiddos came along, I used to have part time help coming in once a week. But even with that, I got fed up with DH leaving me to pick up after him all the time. There was one point when I went on strike, refused to wash his clothes and cups, etc. But that was more because he was out gallivanting almost every night rather than him not helping with chores.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby st2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm

My DH will not lift a finger to help, he will not even wash his own cup. He can stand to live in filth, it's a matter of who can tahan. I end up doing everything in my first year of marraige because I cannot tahan.

He flat out refuse to do anything and told me to get a maid. I have to deal with the maid and we all know how that is..........

He was brought up with a mother that did everything in the house for them (4 boys) and the sister had to help the mother do everything.

My eldest sis in law told me that when she was staying with mil (they were in their 40s then), she asked her husband to help with sweeping the floor. Mil ran out from the kitchen, grabbed the broom and asked the son to lie down take a nap and said she will sweep the floor.

I grew up with maids until my 20s. My mother never spoiled my brother, we were always told to make our own beds, bring our plates and cups to the sink, If just one cup, wash it ourselves etc. My brother shares the chores with my sil.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Domestic Help