Transfer or new maid

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Transfer or new maid

Postby Worriedmum79 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 am

A friend recommend me a Indonesia maid who work in Singapore for 10yrs with only 1 employer. 10 yrs, she been taking care of elderly. Her asking salary quite high with 600 with 2 days off. I have 4 kids, 12yrs, 11yrs, 8yrs and 7yrs. 7 yrs olds very naughty. I'm afraid that the helper worked here for so many years and will be very naughty. But nowadays new maid are not very good also. If you are me, will you take the 10yrs transfer maid or get a new one??

Worriedmum79
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Transfer or new maid

Postby kwcllf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 am

Worriedmum79 wrote:A friend recommend me a Indonesia maid who work in Singapore for 10yrs with only 1 employer. 10 yrs, she been taking care of elderly. Her asking salary quite high with 600 with 2 days off. I have 4 kids, 12yrs, 11yrs, 8yrs and 7yrs. 7 yrs olds very naughty. I'm afraid that the helper worked here for so many years and will be very naughty. But nowadays new maid are not very good also. If you are me, will you take the 10yrs transfer maid or get a new one??

EVery thing about maid, either new or trsnsfer, are tikam, tikam.

It is absolutely madness, with the huge increase in cost but not quality. Worst still, the maids are so protected and when they just simply want out whenever not happy - all at the cost of the employer.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Koh-i-Noor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 am

I will take the transfer maid. By all account, 10 years is a long tenure, working for a single employer.
Since she could work cordially with a single employer for 10years, I would think that she is a easy going and hardworking girl. Also, her maturity is one plus point to handle quite big family of yours.
Last thing you want is a new maid that's not willing to bear the workload and give you attitude problem; or demanding extras.
The only concern when i hire experienced maid is the reasons they quit the ex-employer, not that the agent would tell you, you would have to find out yourself when you interview her.
Good luck.

Koh-i-Noor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kwcllf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 am

Koh-i-Noor wrote:I will take the transfer maid. By all account, 10 years is a long tenure, working for a single employer.
Since she could work cordially with a single employer for 10years, I would think that she is a easy going and hardworking girl. Also, her maturity is one plus point to handle quite big family of yours.
Last thing you want is a new maid that's not willing to bear the workload and give you attitude problem; or demanding extras.
The only concern when i hire experienced maid is the reasons they quit the ex-employer, not that the agent would tell you, you would have to find out yourself when you interview her.
Good luck.

Transfer maid may have developed a fixed mindset and inflexible to change. In the past, when we were looking for a maid, there were maids that worked for angmoh before and very "senang". We were told that the maid would only want to work for angmoh and no one else.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MUMMYOF3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 am

Worriedmum79 wrote:A friend recommend me a Indonesia maid who work in Singapore for 10yrs with only 1 employer. 10 yrs, she been taking care of elderly. Her asking salary quite high with 600 with 2 days off. I have 4 kids, 12yrs, 11yrs, 8yrs and 7yrs. 7 yrs olds very naughty. I'm afraid that the helper worked here for so many years and will be very naughty. But nowadays new maid are not very good also. If you are me, will you take the 10yrs transfer maid or get a new one??

I recently hired an ex SG maid who also worked for 10 yrs with 1 employer. She has with me for 2 months and I m happy with her so far. Best of all, I need not have to spend time coaching her to do housework and cooking. My 3 boys love her cooking and commented she cooks much better than our previous maid.

MUMMYOF3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby nms1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

I would take a transfer over a new maid any day.

In this case, my concern would be that she hasn't been looking after children; you have four! Does she have any of her own? Any experience with children?

Did her previous employer have a large family, did she have a busy schedule or was she mainly a caregiver to the elderly person? Running a household with children involves being very organised so you should ask her how she would handle that.

Meet with her and ask these questions. Think of some scenarios of things that she might have to handle and how she would do it. See how she responds.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Worriedmum79 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi, quite disappointed:( she SMS that she going back to get married

Worriedmum79
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Domestic Help