Which package do you prefer ?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Which package do you prefer ?

Postby chixchix » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I have so many threads here talking about Agencies charging $488, $688 or $2000 plus,some even $3000..

Well here is the story :

For Agencies that charges less than $1000 for Agency fees but deduct, 4 months to 8 months of maids salary. Employers are happy but the poor maid either doesnt get her salary or gets some pocket money.

Here we are dealing with humans, how can we have a happy maid if either she isnt getting salary or getting only a mere amount ?

** Just to let you know that according to Phillipine law and the Embassy here, it is illegal to deduct any salary but still agencies here dont care.

WHY ? Those tie up agencies in PHP require a Singapore Agent to pay minimum $1300 including or maybe excluding airfare to them before they release a girl's biodata to you.So Agencies in Singapore, transfer the costs either to the Employers by raising the Agencies fees to $2000 + ,or deduct the maids salaries to cover costs. There is no such thing as loan.Its all commissions.

I spoke to 1 Agency who deploys Pinoy maids, he was laughing on the phone with me and told me that he knows it illegal but as long as he doesnt get caught, they will continue the practise.

b) I called Universal, they charge $3000 plus,strictly no deduction for maid salary. I called labour Express, its about $2000 plus, but they dont share this package with clients unless they employers ask them.

c) Maids sitting in Far East or Orchard are usually on Social Visit Pass, try calling Hyperlink, they have this girls, once a employer chooses them,they exit the girl to Malaysia and bring her in with the IPA.

As an employer and also a Employment Agent , I would rather pay a higher agency fees so that the maid comes to my house and she does her work whole heartedly knowing that she is being paid. Sometimes, as employers we need to look into ourselves and treat them as humans, well I know there is also some bad hats out there who will take advantage of you.

When you employ a transfer maid, you need to check her employment history first. She shouldnt be a job hopper, and also you should ask the reasons for transfer.

Which route would you rather choose ? Pay lower fees ,and cut the maid's salary or Pay higher fees and maid gets her salary.

Please share your views.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Which package do you prefer ?

Postby POA Teacher » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 pm

How can you say that there is no such thing as a loan?
There definitely is a loan.
The agents charge the maid a commission. But the maid doesn't have money to pay up, so the employer pays on the maid's behalf i.e. the employer loans the money to the maid.
Then the employer is paid in monthly installments by the maid. So it is actually not true that the maid gets no salary during the first months. They ARE paid, but the money is used to repay the employer.

But why am I bothering to explain this to you? As an agent, you must be well aware of all that, though you may present it as something completely different.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Harlequin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm

I would choose the latter-- pay higher fees and the maid gets her salary.

It's sad to learn that my transferred maid being slap on another 2 months "loan" after her previous employer threw her out. She worked 5 months there, zero pay; ex-employer's mum would not delegate her job, especially cooking and babysitting the granddaughter, she claimed that the maid "cannot make it", always complain about the maid to her daughter/maid's ex-employer. I guess she is afraid of being "replaced"?! If the maid could do everything, what's the use of her, that kind of mentality.

With the last one month loan still outstanding, she was transferred to me, and 2 more months "loan" were added as "punishment". I paid agent fee and 1+2 months "loan".
She proved to be the BEST helper anyone could get, hardworking, reliable, honest, patient, polite, independent, very pleasant, genuinely care for us, never once she show "face color" however trying the situation is, love my daughters like her own, etc etc.. She is God send!

After the first month, I felt really bad knowing she wasn't being paid, whatever I paid to her agent she didn't get a cent! She has young daughters back home whom her aged mother is looking after, a family of 3 women rely on her for living, and yet, she hasn't been paid since she set foot here!! I decided to pay her $300 for each of the 3 months that her salary were deducted, against all my friends advice; they thought I am such a sucker. I really appreciate her work, that was the least I could do for her. She couldn't stop sobbing when she received her first pay package.....

She is happily working for me for 4.5years now, I know I could count on her for everything. It's such a blessing.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sad citizen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

Told my current FDW if she continues to be lazy, calculative, display poor working attitude, showed black face when mistakes (purposely made) pointed out, I don't need her services.

I don't need a person living in my house, intentionally trying to drive my blood pressure up and find every chance to have lesser chores. She gets at least 8 hours rest each day, even though some tasks not completed.

Gave her many warnings.
Told her on 2 occassions, not happy to work for me, tell me frankly, don't make me angry on purpose, stop testing my endurance .... she weeped, hide in toilet, MIA when on errands (takes exceptionally long time) or simply showed me can't be bothered to carry out her services, the duties I've laid out clearly at her agency.

She was a transfer maid. Yes, she was punished with additional loan, who's fault? She felt not her fault, she's perfect! She thinks she's an excellent FDW but doesn't know why was kicked out from a super nice employer's house.

Told her sternly, if unhappy, just tell me and pay her agency 1 - 2 months salary for their services to find an employer who is not human aka will never get angry, means won't scold/no temper, no demands, no expectation and agree to let her lead a happy princess life on employer's expenses.

Why should employer bear the full loan? Didn't we paid high non-refundable agency fee, excluding insurance, etc to blood sucking agencies?
FDWs are poor thing, what about us? Who compensates us for what FDWs and agencies caused?

Why FDWs and their agencies didn't treat FDWs human, by not earning so much commission?

For employers who can afford higher salary or perks, their FDWs got to thank and work harder but how many will really appreciate such sympathetic employers ... FDWs? Unlikely. FDWs nowadays are mostly taking things for granted, thought they deserved perks without delivering a good job. We, as employee or citizens get rewards for efforts put in, FDWs think otherwise! Felt we owe them a living! We are defined as bad or demanding bosses when perks are not granted!

sad citizen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chixchix » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Sad Citizen, where is your maid from ?

I am a not a fan of transfer maids cos most of the time, they are trouble..Honestly nowadays maids are not the same quality like last time.. but what to do ..?? we cant seem to live without them.

My own maid ,fresh indon,no salary 7 months,when I saw her in another agency,I felt that she is lazy looking. My DH said its ok ,we needed someone urgent so we brought her home, she was transfer. Her first family booked for her but never brought her back.

My kids dont like her as she hardly smiles, or spends time with them. Now at the agency I had told her that priority is my kids, she said yes i will work hard. I brought her home, bought for her clothes, deodarant,handphone to call home. But still she is slow like a tortoise, never does cleaning well, She has been in my house for 1 year now,still no chemistry with my boys, I havent gone out with DH for a long time as I know that my boys wont sleep with her. And also when she sleepy ,she will take her mattress to march off to sleep.
But at the end of the day, I know someone is working and doing my housework, so got to keep my mouth shut. Its not easy to get a good maid now.

I feel that people in AEAS or MOM, require families to share their thoughts, instead of just implementing 4 days off or asking employers to raise salaries, and then the govt want us to make babies, how the hell to pay for everything when all is so expensive.. need to work..no family time also!!

I think MR LKY AND HIS SON should make time to read this forum,and they will know what to do.

Now they are thinking of getting Cambodia maids to Singapore, their English is worse than Indons.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mlowkwai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Sad Citizen,
I totally agree and understand how you feel. When the lazy and attitude maid still working with me, I find myself more stressful than my office work. Now she no longer work for me, I am more happier even though I need to do all the housework.

sad citizen wrote:Told my current FDW if she continues to be lazy, calculative, display poor working attitude, showed black face when mistakes (purposely made) pointed out, I don't need her services.

I don't need a person living in my house, intentionally trying to drive my blood pressure up and find every chance to have lesser chores. She gets at least 8 hours rest each day, even though some tasks not completed.

Gave her many warnings.
Told her on 2 occassions, not happy to work for me, tell me frankly, don't make me angry on purpose, stop testing my endurance .... she weeped, hide in toilet, MIA when on errands (takes exceptionally long time) or simply showed me can't be bothered to carry out her services, the duties I've laid out clearly at her agency.

She was a transfer maid. Yes, she was punished with additional loan, who's fault? She felt not her fault, she's perfect! She thinks she's an excellent FDW but doesn't know why was kicked out from a super nice employer's house.

Told her sternly, if unhappy, just tell me and pay her agency 1 - 2 months salary for their services to find an employer who is not human aka will never get angry, means won't scold/no temper, no demands, no expectation and agree to let her lead a happy princess life on employer's expenses.

Why should employer bear the full loan? Didn't we paid high non-refundable agency fee, excluding insurance, etc to blood sucking agencies?
FDWs are poor thing, what about us? Who compensates us for what FDWs and agencies caused?

Why FDWs and their agencies didn't treat FDWs human, by not earning so much commission?

For employers who can afford higher salary or perks, their FDWs got to thank and work harder but how many will really appreciate such sympathetic employers ... FDWs? Unlikely. FDWs nowadays are mostly taking things for granted, thought they deserved perks without delivering a good job. We, as employee or citizens get rewards for efforts put in, FDWs think otherwise! Felt we owe them a living! We are defined as bad or demanding bosses when perks are not granted!

mlowkwai
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Domestic Help