how to hire a maid who is working with another employer?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

how to hire a maid who is working with another employer?

Postby godiva » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 pm

This Indonesian fdw, will call her W, has worked for us for 7 years. A couple of years ago, she asked to return home as she missed her family etc.

We were sad to see her go but no choice and hired another fdw. After we hired a new fdw, W suddenly smsed me if she can come back to work for us. But we had to tell her we have obligation to another fdw and cannot just sack the fdw.

Recently W contacted us and said she has come back to work for a new employer but she would like to come work for us as she was unhappy at her current place. As our current fdw has ended her contract with us and does not wish to renew cos of missing her young children, we are keen for W to join our family again. However, W said her current employer unlikely to release her cos she has not finished contract yet - about one year to go.

Does anyone know if how we can resolve this:

1) W is like family to us and we would of course like her to join us;
2) Can W's current employer refuse to transfer W over to our employment? If both W and new employer(Myself) are in agreement?
3) What can W's current employer do if W insist to terminate her contract early and join us? Can they cancel her wp and repatriate her?? We would not want that to happen, unless, after they cancel her wp, I can apply for her to join us immediately.
4) Do you think W's maid agency can help? OR I should enage any other maid agent to handle the paperwork?

I know it is not very nice as it seems we are "poaching maid" but if we don't try to take 'W back now and hire another fdw now, our timing of maid contract termination will never co-incide and she cannot join our family again. Quite sad about that.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: how to hire a maid who is working with another employer?

Postby POA Teacher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:53 pm

godiva wrote:This Indonesian fdw, will call her W, has worked for us for 7 years. A couple of years ago, she asked to return home as she missed her family etc.

We were sad to see her go but no choice and hired another fdw. After we hired a new fdw, W suddenly smsed me if she can come back to work for us. But we had to tell her we have obligation to another fdw and cannot just sack the fdw.

Recently W contacted us and said she has come back to work for a new employer but she would like to come work for us as she was unhappy at her current place. As our current fdw has ended her contract with us and does not wish to renew cos of missing her young children, we are keen for W to join our family again. However, W said her current employer unlikely to release her cos she has not finished contract yet - about one year to go.

Does anyone know if how we can resolve this:

1) W is like family to us and we would of course like her to join us;
2) Can W's current employer refuse to transfer W over to our employment? If both W and new employer(Myself) are in agreement?
3) What can W's current employer do if W insist to terminate her contract early and join us? Can they cancel her wp and repatriate her?? We would not want that to happen, unless, after they cancel her wp, I can apply for her to join us immediately.
4) Do you think W's maid agency can help? OR I should enage any other maid agent to handle the paperwork?

I know it is not very nice as it seems we are "poaching maid" but if we don't try to take 'W back now and hire another fdw now, our timing of maid contract termination will never co-incide and she cannot join our family again. Quite sad about that.

As she is under contract to some other employer, you cannot employ her. If she wants to break her contract with her current employer, they are supposed to send her home. However if THE EMPLOYER agrees to transfer her to you or another employer then it can be done. What you and your ex-maid wants does not over-ride the employer's rights, and her responsibilities to them.

My previous maid did the same thing. She rang me up first from overseas, then again when she was in the employ of someone else here. I did not accede to her request.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:22 pm

You can only employ your ex-maid if her current employer releases her and signs the transfer paper. If she does not agree to a transfer, the only option is for your maid to break her contract with her current employer and return to her home country and you hire your maid from her home country.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kaka » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes, the current employer must release her .. my maid managed to get her previous employer to release her based on the understanding that she would only transfer after the employer got a replacement. She was also in good term with the ex-employer and managed to convinced them to release her. And we waited for her.

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby godiva » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

This is as I thought.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wingzhan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 pm

You may first need to get the permission of her current employer and negotiate with the maid on the terms and conditions of service contracts.

This could then be followed by medical examination and buy insurance and work permit application on MOM website

You can refer this site for detailed step by step guide on hire a transfer maid

Hope it helps.

wingzhan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wingzhan » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 am

in this case, you are hiring transfer maid.
1. Obtain consent from current employer
2. Medical Examination Matter
3. Buying Insurance and Apply work permit
You can refer here for more details
How to Hire Transfer Maid

wingzhan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eteh11 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I am in need of a transfer maid who can look after my 2 eight years old twin boys. Interested please contact me at 90083692.

eteh11
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Domestic Help