All About Life Without Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

I am

Much happier without my maid
89%
Missing my maid
11%

Total votes: 473

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Re: All About Life Without Maids

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 am

I agree w zac mum. The difficult part is to have someone else caring and ferrying to classes but if you have mobile elderly at home or send kids to daycare, the chores part are doable but with help from partner or other members and older kids of course

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by zac's mum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Just to share. Some useful tips for those households without maids. I am currently planning the renovation of an old resale condo that I bought recently.

Because no maid, and we do all household chores ourselves, DH and I decided to choose flooring that is very easy to maintain and scratch-proof. Very hardy vinyl flooring all throughout the house. We’ve experienced living in homes with marble floors for the living room & parquet flooring for bedrooms - super mafan to maintain!

Same with all countertops - CompacPlus is very hardy (actually quartz is hardier but we don’t like the stone look).

Cupboards with no protruding handles or grooves that trap dust. No more standing fans which trap so much dust. Even no skirting for our floors!

Also going to get one of those robot vacuums/mops.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Cooking in foil is worth considering. Keeps the kitchen clean.

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/foodanddrink/ ... li=BBr8HnA

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:325

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:13 pm

zac's mum wrote:... Cupboards with no protruding handles or grooves that trap dust. No more standing fans which trap so much dust. Even no skirting for our floors!

No protruding or grooves then how to open? :lol: I stay in a standard condo with homogeneous tiles and wall skirting. Pretty much something you don't like but, sigh, what can we do. I do agree with the robot cleaner though; it saved a lot of effort for us, but created new ones such as price and cleaning of the vacuum cleaner.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
zac's mum wrote:... Cupboards with no protruding handles or grooves that trap dust. No more standing fans which trap so much dust. Even no skirting for our floors!

No protruding or grooves then how to open? :lol: I stay in a standard condo with homogeneous tiles and wall skirting. Pretty much something you don't like but, sigh, what can we do. I do agree with the robot cleaner though; it saved a lot of effort for us, but created new ones such as price and cleaning of the vacuum cleaner.
Nowadays they have cabinets that are totally flush-fronted. Minimally there’s one slanted-cut edge for your hand to open the door. Or if none then the mechanism is a spring mechanism: push the door to open it.

Robot vacuum: which is better? Roomba iRobot or Xiaomi?

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by sky minecrafter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

zac's mum wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:No protruding or grooves then how to open?
Nowadays they have cabinets that are totally flush-fronted. Minimally there’s one slanted-cut edge for your hand to open the door. Or if none then the mechanism is a spring mechanism: push the door to open it
Yes, have both & guests would mistake them for a part of the "wall". These have been around for a long while already...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by janet88 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote: I do agree with the robot cleaner though; it saved a lot of effort for us, but created new ones such as price and cleaning of the vacuum cleaner.
Chief,
how often do you get the robot cleaner to vacuum the floor? i'm curious to know about battery life.
hubby wanted to get the robot to mop the floor...but i'm very concerned about the lifespan of that thing. my eczema is driving me nuts and when I perspire, it gets worse.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Mine can program to vaccum daily. Automated. It starts at 7am daily and returns to dock when completed.

beautyseek
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by beautyseek » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 am

Urgent

Intending to buy a thermal pot to make cooking easier. Can any kind mummy advise if i can cook in the evening abt 7pm and then leave it overnight till 7am next day. Then put in fridgebin morning and eat it after warming at 6pm?

Any problem with food turning bad? Also can this be used to cook curry?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:22 am

beautyseek wrote:Urgent

Intending to buy a thermal pot to make cooking easier. Can any kind mummy advise if i can cook in the evening abt 7pm and then leave it overnight till 7am next day. Then put in fridgebin morning and eat it after warming at 6pm?

Any problem with food turning bad? Also can this be used to cook curry?
From my experience cooking meat stews, it only takes ~6 hours in the thermal pot for chicken meat to become very soft. Potatoes and carrots also turn soft within 6 hours or so. I cook at lunchtime in prep for dinner meals.

Meaning if u leave it for 12 hours, the meat and potatoes would disintegrate already. Maybe u can cook at 9-10pm just before you sleep?

Not sure about curry because the coconut milk may turn bad. Maybe you can try and let us know :evil: