All About Life Without Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

I am

Much happier without my maid
89%
Missing my maid
11%

Total votes: 474

SlyMok
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Life Without Maids

Post by SlyMok » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:07 pm

rainbow_icecream wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 pm
Less mental stress but physically tired out! :/
You are right. One thing I like without having a maid is the privacy and confidence that you and your family are safe.

HasnaN1977
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by HasnaN1977 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Hello, mummies of KSP!
How did you maintain cleanliness of your home while taking care of your kids without maids to help you?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:172

Post by zac's mum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 pm

HasnaN1977 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 pm
Hello, mummies of KSP!
How did you maintain cleanliness of your home while taking care of your kids without maids to help you?
I bought a robot vacuum with mopping function. That takes care of the floors for me.

It also motivates us to keep our stuff off the floor! Our home looks so much tidier now.

My other tip is to keep as many things hidden out of sight as possible. Anything left out in the open will gather dust, which then requires cleaning. Waste of my time. I prefer minimalist look.

Zeal mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by Zeal mummy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Which robot cleaner is that? I have not seen one w mopping function before too... pls recommend, thanks!
zac's mum wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 pm
HasnaN1977 wrote:
Hello, mummies of KSP!
I bought a robot vacuum with mopping function. That takes care of the floors for me.

It also motivates us to keep our stuff off the floor! Our home looks so much tidier now.

My other tip is to keep as many things hidden out of sight as possible. Anything left out in the open will gather dust, which then requires cleaning. Waste of my time. I prefer minimalist look.

Zeal mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Zeal mummy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 pm

HasnaN1977 wrote:
Hello, mummies of KSP!
I close an eye and only do what is necessary.. priority is feeding the kids and getting them on schedule.. if have extra time then do housework.

Daily chores when we wake up.. make the bed, vaccuum, boil water. Wash dishes and throw rubbish.

Weekly, laundry wash and fold .. and wash toilets.

Monthly then do all the other stuffs ... lol not very clean but okay! Can get by de...

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:44 pm

Roborock. It’s an “ang mo” brand targeted at US consumers and English-speaking users, with instruction manual & app in English. But made by Xiaomi, which is a respectable China brand. I’m very happy with the quality. Don’t fall for the cheapo China brands, heard from my friends that they literally chew up & destroy some obstacles left on the floor (like books or slippers etc).

See some reviews here, or you can google for more: https://robotsnavigator.com/best-roboro ... -cleaners/
Zeal mummy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm
Which robot cleaner is that? I have not seen one w mopping function before too... pls recommend, thanks!
zac's mum wrote:
HasnaN1977 wrote:
Hello, mummies of KSP!

Zeal mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Zeal mummy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 pm

:thankyou:
zac's mum wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:44 pm
Roborock. It’s an “ang mo” brand targeted at US consumers and English-speaking users, with instruction manual & app in English. But made by Xiaomi, which is a respectable China brand. I’m very happy with the quality. Don’t fall for the cheapo China brands, heard from my friends that they literally chew up & destroy some obstacles left on the floor (like books or slippers etc).

See some reviews here, or you can google for more: https://robotsnavigator.com/best-roboro ... -cleaners/
Zeal mummy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm
zac's mum wrote:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 am

HasnaN1977 wrote:
Hello, mummies of KSP!
I didn't have robot vacuum cleaners in my day, so I got a PT cleaner once a week to do the mopping and bathrooms. In between, I did cleaning as needed, but generally closed one eye. My main tip is to teach kids to keep the place clean and tidy, and be independent as far as possible. I don't know how old your kids are, but even toddlers can pick up after themselves, and learn to eat tidily at the table. When they are older, you can increase their responsibilities.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 am
HasnaN1977 wrote:
Hello, mummies of KSP!
I didn't have robot vacuum cleaners in my day, so I got a PT cleaner once a week to do the mopping and bathrooms. In between, I did cleaning as needed, but generally closed one eye. My main tip is to teach kids to keep the place clean and tidy, and be independent as far as possible. I don't know how old your kids are, but even toddlers can pick up after themselves, and learn to eat tidily at the table. When they are older, you can increase their responsibilities.
My 9 year old still drops plenty of crumbs at the dining table, especially if it’s extra messy food like egg tarts, toast, etc.

What saves me a lot of cleaning up is: I bought cheap plastic trays, yes the kind that are used in food courts, fast food restaurants etc. He eats over these trays because the normal plates/bowls can’t contain all the crumbs. Then we just bring the entire tray to the sink and rinse off after meals.

It worked much better for me than flat placemats because I can stack dirty dishes on top & carry all to the sink in one trip.

Then I get kid to spray + wipe the dining table with disinfectant spray.

I also bought non-breakable plastic bowls & plates so that the kid can stand on a low IKEA stepstool & help me wash the dishes too. Don’t need to care about breakage.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Minimal cooking for me. If any, will be using oven, steamer, air-fryer or slow-cooker.

Marketing limited to vegetables and sliced pork collar/pork belly or beef for mee sua or egg noodles with chicken stock. I use WMF milk pot which is good for individual serving. Unrefined, no table manners but from a process perspective, each one a pot and wash up individually after that.

I use wet tissues for cleaning surfaces so it is also very efficient.

Laundry and ironing done daily.

We use quilts so just cover up every morning.