All About Life Without Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

I am

Much happier without my maid
89%
Missing my maid
11%

Total votes: 474

rob_san
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Life Without Maids

Post by rob_san » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:41 pm

To be a mom to our children and maintaining our home spic and span is a heavy daily task for my wife. That is why I again suggested to have a maid to lessen the burned. But for the nth time, she refused. I have observed how hard it is to do all the tasks every day and I could not lend a hand because I am also busy at work. I am just so proud of my wife that she can do it without any help.

CheeLin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CheeLin » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 am

We have been living our lives without a maid for four years now. During the first year, I find it so hard juggling to be a mother and working at home too. But after we establish routines at home, living with my family alone without any other person or maid is rewarding. It is also a savings for us.

CheeLin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CheeLin » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:44 am

We have been living our lives without a maid for four years now. During the first year, I find it so hard juggling to be a mother and working at home too. But after we establish routines at home, living with my family alone without any other person or maid is rewarding. It is also a savings for us.

Dekora
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Dekora » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:26 pm

I love my dibea- into my 2nd one and scooba mopping machine. And the handheld Samsung vacuum helps when there are on the spot cleaning I need to do. My issues come in the washing of clothes, bath towels, Hand towels, dish washing towels. There are just too many of them. Any one has suggestions on how to deal with these?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by zac's mum » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Get a separate washing machine and dryer. Dryer technology is so advanced now that there’s no reason not to utilize it.

Get multiple pieces of towels/clothes, so you don’t need to spend every single day running a half-filled load of laundry.

Efficiency = running just one full load of laundry a week, you can even mix the whites with colours if u throw in a Color Catcher sheet.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 am

Dekora wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:26 pm
I love my dibea- into my 2nd one and scooba mopping machine. And the handheld Samsung vacuum helps when there are on the spot cleaning I need to do. My issues come in the washing of clothes, bath towels, Hand towels, dish washing towels. There are just too many of them. Any one has suggestions on how to deal with these?
Do you change bath towels daily? Perhaps you can cut down, especially on personal items which are not shared. As ZM said, get plenty and accumulate so you can wash large loads, less frequently. If you have a balcony or airy area, you can hang smaller items on a rack to dry - I find this easier and quicker than hanging on hangers or pole. A dryer does help, but consumes a lot of electricity. I usually hang everything for at least 24 hrs, then put the heavy items in the dryer to complete drying.

MrLi1983
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by MrLi1983 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:49 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:51 pm
Get a separate washing machine and dryer. Dryer technology is so advanced now that there’s no reason not to utilize it.

Get multiple pieces of towels/clothes, so you don’t need to spend every single day running a half-filled load of laundry.

Efficiency = running just one full load of laundry a week, you can even mix the whites with colours if u throw in a Color Catcher sheet.
Great suggestions!I use color catcher sheet so I can mix white with colours, this is one of the most efficient way when doing laundry at home

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by Estéema » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:06 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:51 pm

zac’s mum,
Sorry for my ignorance. Can share what’s a Color Catcher? How does it look like? I’ve nvr used it before as we hand wash all clothes except big towel, bedsheets, ... items

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by zac's mum » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Here’s a pic of the Colour Catcher. DH stocks up from US cheaply when he goes there. U can probably find it at Ang mo type supermarkets in SG. Basically, the sheet will just absorb all the excess colored dye which would typically “run” in a normal coloured wash. So yes, u can wash red T shirts + white socks with this sheet in the same machine and not get pink socks coming out.

Esteema, I don’t really understand why your family does handwash? Even undergarments can be washed in washing machine (within laundry bags).

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by Estéema » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Thank you, zac’s mum. Your pic is very helpful.

I’m old sch. With handwashed clothes, I can ensure thorough washing & my delicate clothes don’t get torn in the tumble. DH don’t like creased shirts too. I can control water level with hand wash & eco-frdly with precious electricity. I’ve made conscious effort to be eco long time alr, so habits will die hard. Only time I bend to use of washer is for bid items & during rainy season I’ll use the dryer.

I guess not easy for young families to do what I do for today’s convenience of washers & dryers to free up time spent with kids.