when maid wish terminate contract before 2 years up

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

when maid wish terminate contract before 2 years up

Postby godiva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

My filo fdw has worked 1 year plus with us.

recently she asked to go home cos she missed her kids.

I guess I have no choice but to let her go back early.

Of the 4/5 maids I had in the past 10 over years, they have either renewed or completed contracts and gone home. This is the first time I have early termination. what are my rights as employer, if any? Seems like employers have no rights? And my maid agency fees, insurance, etc paid all down the drain...

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: when maid wish terminate contract before 2 years up

Postby libran269 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 am

you are lucky if this is your first experience. :)
i guess no choice left but to let go

libran269
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Yes no choice at all....mine left after 8 month, right after last deduction from salary....even have to pay for her air ticket....

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby godiva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Dreamgear wrote:Yes no choice at all....mine left after 8 month, right after last deduction from salary....even have to pay for her air ticket....

Why do you have to pay for her air ticket? I tot if 2 years contract not fulfilled, she has to pay own air ticket?

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

You are legally required to pay for her though agents will normally tell the maid that she will get passage home after fulfilling 2 years contract. I had 2 maids (out of 6 so far) who appeared to be of unsound mind and had to let them go after a few days. My agent was reasonable, so they took over the fare for the air-ticket but I was prepared to pay for it if push come to shove. To my mind, it is not morally right to transfer them to someone.

Attitude and standard of work performance are subjective and everyone needs a job, but there can be potential tragic consequences with a maid of unsound mind, so rather send her back.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm

godiva wrote:
Dreamgear wrote:Yes no choice at all....mine left after 8 month, right after last deduction from salary....even have to pay for her air ticket....

Why do you have to pay for her air ticket? I tot if 2 years contract not fulfilled, she has to pay own air ticket?

That's what I thought so too... :?

Hope some one can help clarify, though am not sending maid home, but it'd be good to know.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby POA Teacher » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Harlequin wrote:
godiva wrote:

That's what I thought so too... :?

Hope some one can help clarify, though am not sending maid home, but it'd be good to know.

It is employer's reponsibility to pay for the air fare home, no matter what the reason may be for her repatriation.
Early last year in a report in the Straits Times, it was mentioned that MOM was looking into this (when maids go home through no fault of the employer) and would announce changes sometime in midyear. Well, mid-year came and went, and no announcement was made. I guess MOM must have chickened out.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby godiva » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm

this is a case of employer want maid to stay on and fulfil her contractual term but she refuse to do so?

so employer cannot claim back apportionment of agency fee, insurance etc AND need to pay her airfare?

Maybe I just let her run away... :slapshead:

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

godiva wrote:

The agency told me its the new regulation (that was in oct last year) - as long as they paid their loan and wish to go back, we have to pay for the fare. Different story if they wish to transfer to another employer.

Anyway its like $200 and we saved on the levy for the waiting period should she do a transfer instead....so never bother to make a fuss out of it...

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PapayaDad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm

godiva wrote:this is a case of employer want maid to stay on and fulfil her contractual term but she refuse to do so?

so employer cannot claim back apportionment of agency fee, insurance etc AND need to pay her airfare?

Maybe I just let her run away... :slapshead:

run away... lose deposit no?? lose lose situation... sigh

PapayaDad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help