Compensation on maid off day

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Compensation on maid off day

Postby miu0075 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi,

Pls help to advise on how to calculate the off day compensation to Indo maid. My agency said is $17 per Sunday. So if a month have 4 sunday means multiply 4 and multiply 5 if there is 5 sunday on that month.
Is this true ?
Her basic is $450
thanks.

miu0075
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Compensation on maid off day

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

A rough calculation $450/26 (working days) = $17+.

Can't be that wrong.

Lucky not like industrial practice where Sunday can be 1.5 or 2 times daily wage.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 pm

The calculation formula is stated in MOM regulations act.
As per Fourth Schedule, Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Passes) Regulations 2012" Para 14d)
"in calculating the rate of pay for one day’s work under paragraph 13(b)(ii), the rate of pay for one day’s work shall be the foreign employee’s monthly rate of pay divided by 26"

So what your agency told you is right.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fcmaid » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

miu0075 wrote:Hi,

Pls help to advise on how to calculate the off day compensation to Indo maid. My agency said is $17 per Sunday. So if a month have 4 sunday means multiply 4 and multiply 5 if there is 5 sunday on that month.
Is this true ?
Her basic is $450
thanks.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/MPE%20P ... st-day.pdf

your FDW has to be paid at least one day’s wage for each rest day forgone. The FDW’s daily wage is calculated by dividing her monthly salary by 26 working days, as there are typically 4 weeks (and therefore 4 rest days) in a month.

It should be more than $17.31 per off day.

fcmaid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby germainemummy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

My maid have no off day, every month i have to pay additional $70. hope these help :thankyou:

germainemummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Hiaweh » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm

The option to compensate them for their off days is whether the employer need them or not on their off days. If not I don't see y employers should compensate even if employer willing to give off days.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby avo7007 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Hiaweh wrote:The option to compensate them for their off days is whether the employer need them or not on their off days. If not I don't see y employers should compensate even if employer willing to give off days.

I am confuse about situation whereby my help want to stay home and work, and I want her to go out and play. What is the guideline?

avo7007
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby fcmaid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

avo7007 wrote:
Hiaweh wrote:The option to compensate them for their off days is whether the employer need them or not on their off days. If not I don't see y employers should compensate even if employer willing to give off days.

I am confuse about situation whereby my help want to stay home and work, and I want her to go out and play. What is the guideline?

Some maids want to earn more and are willing to stay home and work while some are afraid to go out.

Ultimately, in the beginning you need to specify the total salary that you are giving.

fcmaid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Maxine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 pm

avo7007 wrote:

Maybe you have to compromise with her instead. There are 4 Sundays usually in a month so she can have 2 weeks alternate off and 2 Sundays to work and you compensate her???

MOM leaves it to the employer and FDW to negotiate how the off day is required. They wont tell you what you should do. They always say the employer and maid must have mutual understanding and agreement.

Maxine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby straffan23 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 pm

avo7007 wrote:

This is my situation - my maid has one official off-day per month. When the new ruling was announced, she told me she will take the money (not the leave). To which I told her, I don't need her on weekends. She is free to take the leave... in the end she decided to stay home and keep to her once-a-month off-days... (no compensation).

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help