Advise/recommend help - leaking toilet

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Advise/recommend help - leaking toilet

Postby osim » Tue May 21, 2013 11:24 pm

My toilet cistern keeps dribbling water into the bowl. After a while, I can hear water filling the cistern. This has been wasting a lot of water. I have a feeling the flapper valve is not sealing the water outlet to the bowl tightly. I sprayed water to ensure it is not dirt that is causing the problem. It didn't help.

I have a feeling the valve needs replacement. It seems the mechanism they use inside these days are very poor quality plastic and this leaking problem is common.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem? One shop at Jalan Besar quoted $120 to replace the mechanism. He said it's from France and will last longer than the MIC one's. Wonder if this price is a cut-throat one.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Advise/recommend help - leaking toilet

Postby Jennifer » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 am

Is the price quoted inclusive of labour charges?

There is a piece of rubber that sits between the cistern and the bowl. When this rubber is not fixed properly, water from the cistern will flow into the bowl. When this rubber is worn off, the same will happen.

I once got sb to fix a worn off rubber. It costs me $140- parts and labour.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 am

If you or your husband is OK with DIY, it's not too difficult to replace the internal mechanism or the rubber piece yourself. My husband and I did it a few years ago as we found the labour charges too high, and the guy who sold us the mechanism told us that it was quite easy. We bought the whole internal stuff (don't know what to call it) as one kit, and the instructions come with it. I can't remember the details now.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atrecord » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am

slmkhoo wrote:If you or your husband is OK with DIY, it's not too difficult to replace the internal mechanism or the rubber piece yourself. My husband and I did it a few years ago as we found the labour charges too high, and the guy who sold us the mechanism told us that it was quite easy. We bought the whole internal stuff (don't know what to call it) as one kit, and the instructions come with it. I can't remember the details now.

Very importantly, it also depends on the brand and model of the whole toilet bowl. The one that the developer chose for my place is reportedly expensive, but crap! This is because to change the faulty mechanism, one would have to remove the whole toilet bowl from the floor, as the nut holding the bolt that fastens the mechanism in position, is not freely accessible and can be reached only when the cistern and bowl are separated!

Had to get contractor to do it for $180, as the whole job required dismantling the whole toilet bowl, change mechanism, then install back...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 am

atrecord wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:If you or your husband is OK with DIY, it's not too difficult to replace the internal mechanism or the rubber piece yourself. My husband and I did it a few years ago as we found the labour charges too high, and the guy who sold us the mechanism told us that it was quite easy. We bought the whole internal stuff (don't know what to call it) as one kit, and the instructions come with it. I can't remember the details now.

Very importantly, it also depends on the brand and model of the whole toilet bowl. The one that the developer chose for my place is reportedly expensive, but crap! This is because to change the faulty mechanism, one would have to remove the whole toilet bowl from the floor, as the nut holding the bolt that fastens the mechanism in position, is not freely accessible and can be reached only when the cistern and bowl are separated!

Had to get contractor to do it for $180, as the whole job required dismantling the whole toilet bowl, change mechanism, then install back...

Thankfully, HDB toilets aren't like that, or at least, mine wasn't!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby osim » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am

Jennifer wrote:Is the price quoted inclusive of labour charges?

There is a piece of rubber that sits between the cistern and the bowl. When this rubber is not fixed properly, water from the cistern will flow into the bowl. When this rubber is worn off, the same will happen.

I once got sb to fix a worn off rubber. It costs me $140- parts and labour.

yes, the price $120 is inclusive of labour. The mechanism does look pretty solid compared to mine at home. I learnt about that rubber gasket at the base that maybe need to be changed but I am not sure how to remove the mechanism. I think your $140 price was mostly for labour. That piece of rubber should be cheap.

Handyman work these days are so expensive. I was quoted $180 to change our main door lockset plus decorative handle iclusive of material. Was so lucky I managed to find the same Lockset and handle at Jln Sultan for $62. DH replaced it himself in less than 20 mins :smile:

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby osim » Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 am

simkhoo, atrecord

Thanks for input. I am very tempted to DIY as there are many instruction on the net on how to do it. Just a little fearful I dismantle already don't know how to assemble back :lol: Also you need the right tools as you have to remove the whole cistern to change the rubber piece.

The mechanism suitable for my Johnson Suisse is only about $20 from hardware store. I may try this out as my June holiday project.

Otherwise, I will just go for the $120 one from France. From reading the prices you guys mentioned, it seems reasonable as it includes installation. The guy mentioned it can fit 90% of the toilet bowl models and more lasting than MIC ones. If on site, they are not able to install, they will bring back with no charge.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby atrecord » Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 pm

osim wrote:simkhoo, atrecord

Thanks for input. I am very tempted to DIY as there are many instruction on the net on how to do it. Just a little fearful I dismantle already don't know how to assemble back :lol: Also you need the right tools as you have to remove the whole cistern to change the rubber piece.

The mechanism suitable for my Johnson Suisse is only about $20 from hardware store. I may try this out as my June holiday project.

Otherwise, I will just go for the $120 one from France. From reading the prices you guys mentioned, it seems reasonable as it includes installation. The guy mentioned it can fit 90% of the toilet bowl models and more lasting than MIC ones. If on site, they are not able to install, they will bring back with no charge.

Good luck on your project, and I admire you for it...

For me, actually i got my bro-in-law, who is a civil engr working with a contractor/developer, to help us to change the mechanism initially. He analysed it and took the short cut of not removing the whole water cistern/toilet bowl but used binding wire and rubber band to hold the screws there and just loosening and not removing them to change the rubber stopper. It allows only a very limited space to change the large rubber and it was not placed correctly so there was some leaks intermittently.

So after a couple of weeks, we still had to bit the bullet and called the plumber to finish off the work... he used hammer and chisel to remove the cement covering the gap betw toilet bowl and floor, removed all screws followed by toilet bowl and water cistern, did the work, installed back, test for leak, then cement it back...

after that had to wash toilet thoroughly... imagine the toilet bowl dismantled put on floor...

But if not those troublesome-type toilet bowl, then not so bad...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby osim » Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 am

atrecord,

I am very proud to announce that we have successfully solve our leaky toilet problem this afternoon.

DH disallowed me to do it but after all the research from the net, I was hungry to try it out. I did it while he was not home. It was easy until....

I got the flush mechanism from the hardware store, cost $26. It has dual flush, cool! Also bought the sponge gasket for the base of the cistern as I thought might as well change since it's old.

Dismantling the cistern was easy. Just detach the water inlet valve from the water supply by undoing the nuts. Then remove 3 nuts from below the cistern, that's all. Changing the flush mechanism and replacing the sponge gasket was easy.

Then the unexpected problem came while trying to assemble back. DH had to rescue me. The water supply nut at the hose leaks. The metal hose screw thread had corroded so DH had to saw off a small section to make the screwing tight. After that, the hole on the side of the inlet valve leaks. Aiyoh...

Worse, one of the 3 holes for securing the cistern to the bowl also leak. We realise in the course of dislodging the mechanisms, I had displace some old silicone that was used to seal all the gaps.

So we went to buy silicone $4.50. So we seal all possible gaps inside the cistern since they are not visible to the naked eye. Voila! No more leaks. The internal leak to the toilet bowl also no more. We did some sawing to customize the length of the plastic sticks that pushes the flush. After this, the job was complete.

It was a great learning experience. Now I can at least problem determine leaks in the toilet and do something about it. Also understand how the flush and inlet valve as well as the overflow pipe all work together. The lesson cost 2 hours (excl. silicon drying time) and $30.50.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby straffan23 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 am

:celebrate: Well done!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help