Home leave and bonus???

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Home leave and bonus???

Postby hky1216 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:16 am

Hi all,
My helper will be going back to Indo for a month in June at the end of her contract. She will come back in August and we renew her contract for another 2 years.
Questions:
1. I will pay for her airticket. But do I need to pay for her salary in July (when she is back home?)
2. Am I supposed to pay her any additional bonus (if I pay her salary in July when she is not around)? What's the normal practice? What is the usual market rate for bonus?
3. Her current salary is $500. She has been with us for 4 years. I know I must raise her. Is $550 considered a market rate for a 4-year (+another 2 years with another house) maid?

Thanks for whoever can answer my questions. :salute:

hky1216
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Home leave and bonus???

Postby nms1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm

You should pay her salary while she is away on leave, although the contract usually only states two weeks' leave. Bonus is optional so my suggestion would be to pay her for the whole month that she is away plus a little bit extra as a bonus.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Contractually you are supposed to give her 2 WEEKS paid leave. Not 2 months.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Your contract with her would have stated for PAID LEAVE entitlement, which typically is 2 weeks.

My maid is in her 5th year like you (+2 yr working elsewhere), she is getting $500. I offered her 1 additional month's bonus for every 2-yr contract renewal+passport renewal fee. So, I will pay her additional 2 mths if she work until end of this contract. I pay her bonus as incentive to continue working rather than raising monthly pay without any bonus.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Domestic Help