wallpaper to cover up paint cracks

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

wallpaper to cover up paint cracks

Postby Yong HL » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:11 pm

hope i can tag on this forum to find out more on wallpapers for bedrooms. my bedroom wall has a "false wall" and was painted over to cover it up. Over the years, paint cracks appear. DH said repaint over wont help as the crack lines will appear again and he suggested wallpaper. Will it help?

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: wallpaper to cover up paint cracks

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Yong HL wrote:hope i can tag on this forum to find out more on wallpapers for bedrooms. my bedroom wall has a "false wall" and was painted over to cover it up. Over the years, paint cracks appear. DH said repaint over wont help as the crack lines will appear again and he suggested wallpaper. Will it help?

Try DIY putty over the crack lines, then paint over. Think cheaper than wall paper.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:39 pm

I also hv a few crack lines on some walls. Every time a neighbor renovates their unit, new lines appear. Waiting for another few years before we do sth abt the lines.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSmom8 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:13 am

Yong HL wrote:hope i can tag on this forum to find out more on wallpapers for bedrooms. my bedroom wall has a "false wall" and was painted over to cover it up. Over the years, paint cracks appear. DH said repaint over wont help as the crack lines will appear again and he suggested wallpaper. Will it help?

Depends on how bad are the crack lines... Depends on type of wallpaper.... In my opinion.

When I helped with a relative's renovation, the ID had the wall thoroughly plastered smooth before laying the wallpaper. The cracks lines were on a solid wall. That particular wallpapered wall still looks good.

My false wall uses MDF boards. The joint lines of the boards are very obvious and runs vertically. The wall was plastered and then wallpapered. A few hours after the wallpaper, the lines could still be seen. Wallpaper installer blames on poor plastering. Wallpaper supplier came and advised very difficult to cover these joint lines with my thin wallpaper. Apparently if I had chosen a thicker wallpaper, it COULD work.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Domestic Help