Will you allow your maid of 2 years to highlight her hair?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Will you allow your maid of 2 years to highlight her hair?

Postby chameleon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi, I actually planned to renew my Filipino maid's contract for another 2 years. Her WP is expiring 31 July and we have verbally discussed on the new contract terms. But when she went for her Sunday off yesterday, she came back with rebonded hair (her hair is till waist length) and even highlighted her hair!
She has previously rebonded her hair and I have no issue but I never expected she went to highlight those obvious streaks. When my husband and I questioned her why she highlight her hair since she's only here to work as a helper? She replied and said it's personal...
Can sense her attitude has changed after she worked more than 6 months but we close one eye since she helped to take care of my newborned son in 2011 and till now. She even bought a laptop without asking us and just showed me after she bought it and I was thinking since she bought it, I told her I will let her use after work at 7pm. Subsequently, she used every now and then as I can stalk her fb.
Just wanted to ask your opinion whether you will allow your helper to highlight her hair when no other helpers in the neighbourhood has hair long and coloured like hers?

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Will you allow your maid of 2 years to highlight her hai

Postby st2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:59 am

I think you can see the handwriting on the wall............. I won't be happy with the maid doing highlights and streaks. How to not allow maid to colour her hair?

My friend's Ph maid used her own money to buy gloves doing housework.
On her off days, nails red (painted fingernails night before, toes nails painted all the time), wear low v camisole with tight tight jeans or short short tight skirt with full make up (wayang style). She thinks she looks very good..... (yeah right, lady of the night good).

When my friend asked her why she likes to dress this way, it is not attractive at all, she said it's her money and none of her (my friend's) business.

When my friend brings the maid to supermarket, my friend looks like the maid with no make up and dressed so plain!!!!

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

Some of my colleagues still tell me to give her a break as long as she does her job and colouring, highlighting of hair is really personal. However, a lot of things can be classified as personal. What if 1 day she found a bf and get pregnant, she also will tell you is personal?
I mean a helper should have a helper's outlook, eg a stewardess should have stewardess's outlook etc. Can tell my current filipino maid doesn't see herself as a helper anymore, no difference from the other filipino night club's hostress who stayed a few floors above my unit.
Anyway, I have confirmed a new Indon maid yesterday evening. I am thinking how to break the news to my current Filipino maid.
Her housework, taking care of my son and cooking are all good except after 2 years, think all maids' attitude will change so I finally understand why my aunty will change maid every 2 years. Although I am not renewing her, but her work permit is expiring on 31 July so I still went ahead and purchased the insurance for her and will go and renew her WP online so she has time to find another employer and transfer.
Do you think if she will still get mad or can't take it when I break the news to her since she thought I will be renewing her for another 2 years?
Thanks.

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dawnie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 am

Try telling her to dye her hair black and see what she says. I'm sure she will give you black face. Maid is here to work, there ought to be house rules. I regret big time for being too easy with my ex maid. She rebond her hair, paint her nails, wear SHORT shorts, mini skirts on off days. When I question her why she use HP till wee hours, she told me she make use of her personal time so I should not stop her.

Chameleon, you don't have to feel bad for not letting her know in advance that you are not renewing her. You are kind enough to let her transfer to another employer. I gave mine 2 hours to pack and off she goes to the airport.

Dawnie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Harlequin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 am

Hi, Chameleon.

Just to share, I made known to all the maids I interviewed, her in house attire during service hours is uniform, unless she is going for marketing, retires in her room or on her off day. I think wearing uniform puts the maid in the right perspective... like many other employees in the service line, donning the uniform gives a person a sence of "professionalism".

Any maid hesitate when asked during the interview, I would give her a miss.

Just my personal view... hope this will work for you too.

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby matrix0405 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 am

Re-bond hair is a 'must' for Indon. After getting her 1st full pay, 1st thing is got to re-bond hair. Previous few, must rebond hair before going back. Is rebond a privilege in Indon?

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby st2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi chameleon

Don't have to feel bad, I'm sure she can quickly find another job or boyfriend.

Rebonded hair, smooth, silky and shiny..... the woman will look well groomed, very demure and feminine, don't you think? Surely she will stand out among the kampong peasant girls with coarse messy hair looking like country bumpkin.

I'm not saying this to be offensive, it is just what it is.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Dawnie wrote:Try telling her to dye her hair black and see what she says. I'm sure she will give you black face. Maid is here to work, there ought to be house rules. I regret big time for being too easy with my ex maid. She rebond her hair, paint her nails, wear SHORT shorts, mini skirts on off days. When I question her why she use HP till wee hours, she told me she make use of her personal time so I should not stop her.

Chameleon, you don't have to feel bad for not letting her know in advance that you are not renewing her. You are kind enough to let her transfer to another employer. I gave mine 2 hours to pack and off she goes to the airport.

Dawnie, I thought that too but better not. If she really dye her hair black but bear grudges in her heart, I also would not want her to stay on with me. My current one also wear SHORT shorts even at home. But it's those denim type so I just close one eye. She ever tried her luck to wear spagetti straps on her 1st week but was scolded by my husband badly..lol

I really dun understand her mentality. Told me want to save $ for her 2 sons (age 15 & 13) but I see her keep spending on unnecessary things whenever she went for off days. She's already 36 but still thought she's those teenage gals and posted those act cute photos in her fb.

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Harlequin wrote:Hi, Chameleon.

Just to share, I made known to all the maids I interviewed, her in house attire during service hours is uniform, unless she is going for marketing, retires in her room or on her off day. I think wearing uniform puts the maid in the right perspective... like many other employees in the service line, donning the uniform gives a person a sence of "professionalism".

Any maid hesitate when asked during the interview, I would give her a miss.

Just my personal view... hope this will work for you too.

Hi Harlequin,
Where did you get the uniforms from? Not a bad idea haha

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:18 pm

st2 wrote:Hi chameleon

Don't have to feel bad, I'm sure she can quickly find another job or boyfriend.

Rebonded hair, smooth, silky and shiny..... the woman will look well groomed, very demure and feminine, don't you think? Surely she will stand out among the kampong peasant girls with coarse messy hair looking like country bumpkin.

I'm not saying this to be offensive, it is just what it is.

Hi st2,
I still can accept rebonding hair but I will ask her to tie up, don't give me crap that you just rebonded your hair so you cannot tie it.
All these maids think they are super pretty. I ever stalked both my maids' fb and surprised to see those photos they uploaded...

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help