MOM - no maid levy & no transfer pls?(Same in Taiwan/HK)

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

MOM - no maid levy & no transfer pls?(Same in Taiwan/HK)

Postby Kokomommy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi All

I have some sharings on the maids nowadays. I really think that having a reasonable good maid is 80% luck (personality of the maid) and 20% other factors including the personality of the employers, the profile of the family etc, if not still 100% luck on the maid herself.

I have maids since 1997 (16 years in all), when my first son was born. I only take experience maids ...I have 2 boys in sec school now and we have stayed in HDB, Condos and now landed home. So i have alot of silly experiences analysing maids...Till now i have a total of 8-10 maids, 2 maids who stayed 5 years each period (10 years in total) but lately the rest are really "Random" maids (6-8 of them). I have tried Indon, Filippinos, Myanmars. I still contact my that 2 good maids till now and they are married with kids...Random means cannot make it....haha...stayed with us 1 week to 3-6 months types. Very tiring to kanna them....

I found out, not by generalisation, but -the 80% majority rule - that, (of course there are the 20% who are not generalised here) :

General Characteristics of maids here:

1) Filippinos are mostly arrogant (hao lian), vain and tell alot of lies. They like to work for expat ah mohs. Look down on Singaporeans, middle class or lower. They do not like to be micro-managed. Like to talk on phones, even to midnight. Like to have boyfriends and generally loose morals. They love ang mohs and indians.... So rare to find a good one now. Have, but very difficult....They are ok with big houses, kids. But they very talkative and high and mightly. They are the brightest of all. Any other filippina maids they know, they call them cousins...OMG!

2) Indon always blur and tell lies type, must push them, not hardworking, not thorough in their jobs. Not so smart like Filippinos but more humble. But they are not so hygienic. Can cook better only, can micro manage abit only for the in-exp ones. Hardy types Can work in big house, not so good with kids, but better with aged, Tell lies also, steal also. 95% cannot eat pork and mostly cannot handle dogs.

3) Myanmar, mostly are of better character (at least 60% will not steal). English ok, some bad. But character is more impt in maids right? They are very rigid and "one sided" mind, stubborn. IF they have made up mind on certain things, hard to change their thinking....maybe culture, not so much on attitude. Cannot cook well and cannot work in Big house...They do not argue so much like the Filippinos.

Any other sharings on this? I reiterate my findings are on majority maids , not the 2 sides of the bell curve....

Lately, i also found out that :

Why the employers here are so frustrated with the current system:

1)the maids choose us, when they hear babies, small kids and big houses (landed), they all dont want to work for us....why the world is like this? When i was in condo, my status among the maids are the best even my kids are in primary schools that time. Worst is when i stay in landed house, with 2 dogs, no aged, kids come home after school at 3-5pm....they also dont want work leh....They choose us hor....

2) Some agencies , mostly in Far East shopping centres,esp those mentioned as avoided agencies in the various threads in kiasuparents , named Super XXX. are really "Super" maid agencies which always do transfer maids from local families like us to expat ang mohs. They do not hire from fresh and do proper application. They steal our maids and if your maids show attitude or asking transfer, they are most probably tranferred by these agencies who keep talking and networking with maids through referral. Maids who referred them successful transfer cases get commission and these explained why the maids here are getting arrogance and choosy....You can see a stream of maids there interviewing employers on Sundays. Not we interview them hor. Can MOM do something to this? They made us super stressed when after training our maids, the agencies took them to the "foreigners" and we local mummies have to work so hard for a living , on top of the training maids and supervising kids and teenagers and high cost of living. The agencies bosses with maid licences are mostly FOREIGNERS, but now Singaporeans. The maid agencies bosses are from Philippines, Myanmar origins. I saw their licences & i spoke to them...Now these converted Singaporean teach their maids to stay away from local employers and earning my money when our maids transferred out...

3)Now, I gave my maid (recommended by my ex-maid) hp usage, 2 days off (old contracts) and $580 (she only 2 years exp) in Singapore. If not, no maids can work for me. Last 2 years and earlier, $380-$450 for experience maids, 1 day off, now, they are like priced so high by the agents.

4) Why is MOM not waiving the maid levy and put us employers on par with the HK, Taiwan etc? We Singaporeans employers are not "valued " here by these maids as they seek greener pastures after getting exp here. Those manpower ministries in HK and Taiwan only take experience maids and are paid $800. Why MOM does not look into this? Do u know the maids do not respect us here even we are paying about $800 including levy but we can only get fresh and lousy exp maids for these prices?

5) Do you know the maids in Taiwan and HK cannot ask for transfer? any requests by them are not entertained. They will be asked to pay for their airfares home immediately and come back again as a new hire. So it make them work hard for at least 2 years without complaints & wary of their employers....

Check out these agencies in Orchard, what do you know & think of their services :Super...Sunshine..Recruit Asia, Dan Svs, Job-connect, APAC

Maid and employers do have a differentiation. We are not talking about that they are mere products or whatever. Since uneducated women in those countries can find jobs and money here, they have to earn their respectable income by giving their services, isn't it? Only a small handful employers here are not good, but majority do know how to treat their maids well as our kids are with them. We are not so inhuman.

Indirectly, our maid agencies will not help us on this becos they also get money from transfer cases. We employers must set up a group or representatives to talk to MOM about all these. Anyone seriously keen in these?
Last edited by Kokomommy on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kokomommy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: MOM - no maid levy & no transfer pls?(Same in Taiwan/HK)

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:29 am

Good post! Totally agreed with you.

chameleon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby matrix0405 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

A good summary. Capturing the main char of maids from different countries. And also the frustration of hiring maids and the unfair practices abound. Pay has doubled thru the years, but quality of maids have no improvement. For $500, you can still end up with a no-english, fresh maids. Now, with the 'no loans', employer takes all the risk. MOM shd look into rebates and no transfer rule.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby st2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Good post kokomommy!

After all these years of maid levy collection, I doubt they can let that kind of money go.

If it's any consolation.....my fresh indo maid had a booklet and received a free window cleaner, she was taught how to use it and brought it to my home.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:21 pm

I support this.

5) Do you know the maids in Taiwan and HK cannot ask for transfer? any requests by them are not entertained. They will be asked to pay for their airfares home immediately and come back again as a new hire. So it make them work hard for at least 2 years without complaints & wary of their employers....

I also feel that maids have attitude problem because they can transfer easily!!! If they are not happy, transfer lor. Cannot give what they request. Transfer lor. So you can see some maid can transfer 5 or 6 employers. *FAINT*

Maybe to be fair, maid can be transfer 1 time. As some really unlucky to meet "bad" employer. They will also think twice of their work attitude.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby chixchix » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

instead of complaining here, we should all go to find the Minister and bang table there!

Hire Indon so expensive,, now in September there will be a temporary suspension for Filipinas from there coming out to work in Singapore cos they want to standarise their no loan deduction policy..so get ready to fork out ,,more than $2000 for a maid. :rahrah: :rahrah:

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby matrix0405 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 pm

JJ1111 wrote:I support this.

I also feel that maids have attitude problem because they can transfer easily!!! If they are not happy, transfer lor. Cannot give what they request. Transfer lor. So you can see some maid can transfer 5 or 6 employers. *FAINT*

Maybe to be fair, maid can be transfer 1 time. As some really unlucky to meet "bad" employer. They will also think twice of their work attitude.

Transfer was needed when the maid came with loan. It helps them stay on to pay their loans. Now with no loan, the need for transfer is no more. And because of the ability to do multiple transfers, many maids and agencies are more than happy to abuse it.

Anyway, ministers do not listen to peasants. The only language they know is your vote.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 4mum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 pm

totally agree n share the same sentiment. really hate to train n they just go as when they feel like it without sparing a thought for us ..employer. but when will ever the MOM hear us. .? ??
Really feel like giving up hiribg maid but realky no choice as have too many young children.
count me in if can in anyway voice our stressful life handling them.

4mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 4mum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 pm

totally agree n share the same sentiment. really hate to train n they just go as when they feel like it without sparing a thought for us ..employer. but when will ever the MOM hear us. .? ??
Really feel like giving up hiribg maid but realky no choice as have too many young children.
count me in if can in anyway voice our stressful life handling them.

4mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lovemyfamily4ever » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 pm

No wonder all those good maids not longer wanna work in Singapore. Mainly because of levy problem. part of their earning went to levy. SOB

lovemyfamily4ever
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Domestic Help