Need advice! Should I accept this maid?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Need advice! Should I accept this maid?

Postby fatherofthree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 am

We have recently engaged a new maid for about a week. She failed her initial x-ray test and the agent sent her for a review and she cleared the 2nd examination. My wife quizzed her and found that she too fail her x-ray for the 1st time from her home country. She is coughing rather badly with a lot of whitish phlegm and we are a little apprehensive about taking her in and we have yet to see a copy of her medical report. The maid agency wants us to send her down on Friday for thumb-print for her wp. The agent told us they would send her to a GP for treatmentfor her coughs :siao: ) or check-up if we are still concerned and they will tell the maid the cost will be deducted from her pay.
My question is: Is the the right thing to do? Who shall be liable for the cost, us or the maid or the agent?
Do you think I should get a replacement instead just to play safe?
:nailbite:

fatherofthree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Need advice! Should I accept this maid?

Postby jtoh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 am

There have been cases of maids coming in with TB. I would err on the side of caution.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Hiaweh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 am

If you have young children at home, please do not take the risk. It seems that more people are getting TB although the numbers are still small.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fatherofthree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:08 am

We were definitely seek 2nd opinion when we get her medical report. But for her prior visit who should foot the bill, us or the agent?

fatherofthree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:12 am

agree. once you sign over, the maid is YOUR responsibility. Agent can verbally say she will be responsible for her medical costs but the law says YOU as the employer are liable.

Money aside, pls be careful for your family's sake. My mum's friend (grandma status) and grandkid had to endure 6 months of drugs and monitoring at TTSH TB centre becos their maid contracted TB when she was in SG (she passed the review but somehow her TB flared whilst under employment) and the two were deemed to be susceptible - the other family members were cleared. I can't imagine having to pump so much drugs into a young body.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fatherofthree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 am

:salute: Thank you for all your prompt and helpful reply, much appreciated!

fatherofthree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:20 am

I think it's esp terrible for young ones to have to take these strong drugs at such a young age. You don't know the side effects.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

I would return the maid to the agent and make a report to MOM with the evidence that the maid failed the x-ray test in order to make sure the agent does not pass this maid to some other persons. The agent is so irresponsible.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Harlequin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Agree with Jennifer, should report to MOM, the maid mostly will be repatriated.... TB is highly contagious :nailbite:

Harlequin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Exposure to TB can also cause latent TB. The treatment for this condition is medication for X months with regular visits for check-ups and testing. This happened to my DS when he was infected many years back. I cannot remember the full details of the treatment except the daily medication and frequent visits on weekend to the TB centre (cannot remember the name) at Moulmein Road.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help