domestic helper end of contract soon

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

domestic helper end of contract soon

Postby iamproudparents » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:01 pm

hello

my helper wp ending 13 sept 2013, she is currently looking for another employer but she may not find one as she is choosy.

i saw the wp department says the application for change of employer will only be considered if the expiry date of the domestic worker work permit is not less than 30 days from the date of application.

so in view of this, if she fails to find potential employer, generally what is the recommended action?

1) extend her wp out of good will ? if yes how to renew the wp? how much to pay? but will this extension affect the application of another new helper?

2) let her go agency and wait for prospective employer but need to pay $10 for lodging per day.

3) terminate her wp if yes when is a better time and how to do it? need to pay? then i will need to use my own money to get her a 1 way air ticket right?

4) any others?

thanks

iamproudparents
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: domestic helper end of contract soon

Postby hquek » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 pm

If you renew her wp, you can do it by yourself at mom online. But the period of extension is up to a month before passport expiry, also you will have to buy a non refundable insurance that covers accident and hospitalization (min 1 yr).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby PhoBIA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:04 pm

It's too troublesome. The insurance you have to purchase are only available in 1 yr or 2 yr. There's no such thing as renew only a few weeks or a few months.
To save your hassle, it's a lot easier to just send her home after the contract expires if she fails to handle the paper work properly.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 am

iamproudparents wrote:hello

my helper wp ending 13 sept 2013, she is currently looking for another employer but she may not find one as she is choosy.

i saw the wp department says the application for change of employer will only be considered if the expiry date of the domestic worker work permit is not less than 30 days from the date of application.

so in view of this, if she fails to find potential employer, generally what is the recommended action?

1) extend her wp out of good will ? if yes how to renew the wp? how much to pay? but will this extension affect the application of another new helper?

2) let her go agency and wait for prospective employer but need to pay $10 for lodging per day.

3) terminate her wp if yes when is a better time and how to do it? need to pay? then i will need to use my own money to get her a 1 way air ticket right?

4) any others?

thanks

1) Will cost you $$$ for insurance and renewal. Of course it will affect application for new maid. Cos that means you will be having 2 maids. If I'm not mistaken, you need permission from MOM if you want to have 2 maids.
2)Leave her at the agency, and pay money for what??? If it is too close to expiry of her WP, and she can't be transferred, why would you leave her at the agency? and waste money for nothing? You would still have to pay to send her home after that.

I suggest, you should either
(i) just send her home, or
(ii) give her deadline (have only few days left) to get a new employer to transfer to.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinkybear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 am

Hi iamproudparent

For me if she is good, I will extend her wp. Renew fee is $30 online. You need to buy insurance with refundable. I bought 1 year from AVA insurance $172, if cancel wp < 3 months, refund is 70%. SHC insurance is about $135 but not refundable. I just did this for my good helper. She could only work a month and she will go home to read her degree.

Yup

One week before WP expires. Yes we need to pay 1 way air ticket

4) any others?
Ask her to register her name with a few more maid agencies. Higher chance to get her new employer

pinkybear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Domestic Help