Shoe Rack and Book Shelves

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Shoe Rack and Book Shelves

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:45 am

Are there any other places where we can purchase shoe racks and book shelves apart from Ikea?

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Shoe Rack and Book Shelves

Postby iLoveChubby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

You can try vhive.... prices are reasonable for the quality... at least to me, better than ikea.
Used to like Barang Barang but not sure if they hv relocated to industrial area or moved out of S'pore....

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 am

Barang barang went out of business for a while , and I believe it is linked to natural living now. But the selection is very limited now.

I like vhive too because the price is reasonable and free delivery. Ikea , if you add in the delivery and installation , is not cheap.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mawar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 am

For bookshelves, I would go for Scanteak. Look out for sales. Ikea's cannot take stress test. Definitely Fail!

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bungii » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 am

I have been using the BILLY bookcases from Ikea for like 20 years now. I got another two about 10 years ago. They are still very good and the shelves do not bend when loaded with books. These days, they have a variety of doors and lamination to choose from. Different pricing for different kinds of doors and lamination.
Their BESTA shelves look sturdy too, but more costly.

Bungii
Site Admin

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 am

Bungii wrote:I have been using the BILLY bookcases from Ikea for like 20 years now. I got another two about 10 years ago. They are still very good and the shelves do not bend when loaded with books. These days, they have a variety of doors and lamination to choose from. Different pricing for different kinds of doors and lamination.
Their BESTA shelves look sturdy too, but more costly.

My suggestion is for the billy book case, go for the single door ones. The two door ones could sag a bit in the middle.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby coolbreeze » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 am

I bought my son's bookshelf from Vhive close to 2 years ago. Quality and price is good. The salesman proudly proclaimed that Ikea's quality can't beat them!

coolbreeze
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby atrecord » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am

People once told me that Ikea products have a shelf-life of 2 yr. But the billy book shelf i bought in 2000 is still doing ok, although it has indeed sagged a little bit.

Scantek should be solid wood.

For shoe cabinet, do you need one that is good looking, cheap, or one that can hold a lot of shoes?

I spent a fair bit of time looking for shoe cabinets so do indeed have some recommendations...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 pm

atrecord wrote:People once told me that Ikea products have a shelf-life of 2 yr. But the billy book shelf i bought in 2000 is still doing ok, although it has indeed sagged a little bit.

Scantek should be solid wood.

For shoe cabinet, do you need one that is good looking, cheap, or one that can hold a lot of shoes?

I spent a fair bit of time looking for shoe cabinets so do indeed have some recommendations...

:scratchhead: I need one that can hold a lot of shoes :wink:
Otherwise how to buy new shoes right? :laugh:

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations :smile:
I will check Vhive and Scanteak..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster