Should I purchase new washing machine or use laundry serv?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Should I purchase new washing machine or use laundry serv?

Postby Bowie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi Mommies & Daddies,
My washing machine of 5 years seem to be retiring soon.... and guess if I need to buy a new one, I need to upgrade it to at least 8 kg loading with my family growth.....

There is a new self service laundry outlet next block. Coin operate. With Dryer service too. Wonder will you switch to use this service instead?

Just want to hear some views and feedback.

Thanx!

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Should I purchase new washing machine or use laundry ser

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Bowie wrote:Hi Mommies & Daddies,
My washing machine of 5 years seem to be retiring soon.... and guess if I need to buy a new one, I need to upgrade it to at least 8 kg loading with my family growth.....

There is a new self service laundry outlet next block. Coin operate. With Dryer service too. Wonder will you switch to use this service instead?

Thanx!

I checked such outlet near my home a few weeks ago and I got shocked by the price. It is expensive :moneyflies: Have you checked the price?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bowie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi ngl2010,

Checked

Washing: $4 per 8 kg
Drying $4 per 40 mins

Think can also dump in the bedsheet, blankets, curtain....

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanx!

hi,
those machine are being share by other customers right? in term of hygiene, ..I will not use..unless is on a holiday trip. Also it is troublesome too....
I just got a 8kg washer,
Last edited by jjxy mum on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 pm

If you calculate the price of new washing machine + estimated water and electricity consumption, I think it will still be cheaper in the long run than using laundry service outlet. Also, it is more convenient too to do it at home as you don't have to wait at the outlet.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bowie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Actually, I am thinking it can save some space and since it provide dryer then don't have to hang them for drying.

Anyone have tried?

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I think it would still be cheaper and more convenient for a family to do laundry at home. I haven't done the calculations, but I believe that even if you use a tumble dryer at home, it will be cheaper than paying each time. Also, think of the time you will spend waiting for the washing to be done, transferring to the dryer, collecting the dry clothes, walking back and forth etc. At home, you can do other things while the machines run. I personally prefer to have a smaller machine and do laundry more often than have a huge one and have more to handle each time, but each will have their own preference.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Canvas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Bowie wrote:Actually, I am thinking it can save some space and since it provide dryer then don't have to hang them for drying.

Anyone have tried?

It is common in some countries but I guess locally, most of us prefer to do our own laundry. I used such a service twice before, once while waiting for the delivery of my new washing machine and another during a month-long home renovation. Not bad to be honest since the one we went to folded our laundry nicely. I am more keen on ironing services actually :evil:

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3Boys » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanx!

Buy a new one.

Edit.

Come to think of it, no harm trying it out for a while. If it gets too expensive or painful, nothing to stop you from buying one then.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kyrakim » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:49 pm

I actually had done some analysis and consider some critical factors .
Normally I use my washing machine only over the weekend and my house does not have enough space for a dryer. We had to hang the clothes out to dry but sometimes I just cannot stop those staying above me throwing things down and dirty my laundry or the rain pours that wet my laundry. After drying the clothes we still need ironing and its was a really tiring task. The last straw that firms up by decision my curtains flew away and landed on some trees where there is no way I could recover it. The best solution is to engage a laundry service provider where we tried a few but some are not so approachable in the end, my colleague recommends this company http://www.laundrycares.com, they are pretty helpful, reasonable price and offer me free collection and delivery. They are also able to help me remove and install the curtain back at a small fee. :rahrah: :imcool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnalNnpS2NQ

Kyrakim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Domestic Help