Making decisions on child's caregiver

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Making decisions on child's caregiver

Postby littlehelper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Just curious on certain options available and the reasons behind it.
Looking into caregiver issues parents in singapore face for a project.
It'll be best if you could answer all, if not just answer any number of questions, it'll be useful too!
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate you taking some time to fill this up:)

1. If grandparent's are able to look after child, would you choose them to look after or prefer infant care/babysitter. And why?

2. Choosing between maid & babysitter. Which & why?

3.Choosing between babysitter & infant/child care center. Which & Why?

4.Other options
E.g
- sending child for few hours kindergarten/childcare/playgroup & the rest of the time taken care by yourself/
-Few hours school + babysitter/grandparents
-babysitter+maid
- grandparents+maid
Etc......

5. A number of key things (in the order of importance) that you'll look out for in your child's caregiver, be it babysitter or infant care)

littlehelper
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Making decisions on child's caregiver

Postby chixchix » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:13 am

littlehelper wrote:Just curious on certain options available and the reasons behind it.
Looking into caregiver issues parents in singapore face for a project.
It'll be best if you could answer all, if not just answer any number of questions, it'll be useful too!
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate you taking some time to fill this up:)

1. If grandparent's are able to look after child, would you choose them to look after or prefer infant care/babysitter. And why?

Maybe, but I would still a live in helper.I feel that when you send a child to a infant care centre, first of all,kids get sick often and the virus spread,,kids are more comfortable in their own home,, not even at a nanny's home.Nowadays parents are more educate,hence the way we would like to bring u our child and instil certain values in them is very different than the time that our parents used to raise us. Punishment for kids was also different. Given a choice between grandparents,infant care or babysitter, i would rather choose professional babysitters but with my parents being around too for supervision.

2. Choosing between maid & babysitter. Which & why? Babysitters which are educated and professional can cost more than $2000 a month, hence I would rather get a maid. If my maid can speak English well thats fine, but depending on the age of my child too. If my kids are small, then I would still want to get a part time nanny to keep my kids engaged while my maid cleans.. but if my maid loves to play with kids, then I won't even hire a nanny.

3.Choosing between babysitter & infant/child care center. Which & Why? Babysitter, as mentioned in Number 1 ,, but I won't hire the aunties who become nannies.

4.Other options
E.g
- sending child for few hours kindergarten/childcare/playgroup & the rest of the time taken care by yourself/
-Few hours school + babysitter/grandparents
-babysitter+maid
- grandparents+maid
Etc......

5. A number of key things (in the order of importance) that you'll look out for in your child's caregiver, be it babysitter or infant care)

Someone who is educated, someone who has a nice smile who is able to interact with a child. someone who has phone references available, I wouldn't consider infant care.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Making decisions on child's caregiver

Postby margispo » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Instead of a maid or babysitter, I would choose au pairs: http://www.aupairnet24.com/en/hostfamilies they provide help with childcare and are a great cultural experience!

margispo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Domestic Help