Maid ask for access to Wifi

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid ask for access to Wifi

Postby doryfish » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 pm

My maid who just renew contract with us ask me to give her access to my home wifi. Does most employers here give?

doryfish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Maid ask for access to Wifi

Postby kaisuparents » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Better not to give them Wi-Fi access. Atleast when they have to shell out money, their time on FB, WhatsApps is limited. If we given them Wi-Fi access they are all time on phone.

kaisuparents
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bb_ mom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

My helper has access to wifi. But she only uses her phone or notebook when she's done with housework. I think it's up to each employer to decide if helper can be trusted with wifi access. If it had been my previous helper, no way!

But we don't give her the password. We key it in for her.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:42 pm

My helper has wifi access.. She can use it after dinner time.. So far no issues.. I can see she isn't addicted.. Usually she will just use for 30-45 mins then she sleeps.. Share room with my sonny..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ladybird00 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:54 pm

I allowed WIFI access to my maid, she has a smart phone and ipad. She promised me that she will not use her smart phone or ipad during day time. She has been with us for four years. Now, she uses her ipad and smart phone all day long, even when she is doing chores in kitchen, downloading movies, songs, watching movie etc etc. See! I regretted but it is too late. If I cut her wifi, our relationship will definetely go sours. Thus, look before you leap!

ladybird00
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby matrix0405 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:01 am

With wifi, soon it will be youtube and chats 1st, got time than do housework. Many maids are 'stealing' wifi. They can check your password with your kids or computer when you are not aware.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 am

With wi fi, maid can use whatsapp. Whatsapp is constant chatting. I don't know of many maids who are disciplined to use mobile phone when they are done with housework for the day. My maids used mobile phone to yak/SMS until wee hours of the morning and then couldn't wake up at 6. There was no whatsapp then. With smartphones, there is Facebook access too.

Seriously if the maid asked for wi fi access, I wonder how long more she can work without souring the relationship with her employer.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

It really depends on the maturity of the maid. My current maid has access to our wifi. No major issues.

If the maid has been with you for some time already, I think will be able to see for yourself if they are trustworthy enough. If still not comfortable with full access, can restrict. Do not let them know the password, give access for 1hr at night after they are done with their chores.

Just because other people have maids who don't know how to manage themselves does not mean that all the maids are like that. Vice versa as well.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

1 people like this post

Postby peapot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Wow! This is exactly what is happening to my current maid now. She is always on her Samsung tab. She use Whatsapp, line and FB all the time. I told her luckily my gal is already 11. I always feel it's better to not give maid WiFi if yr child ia newborn or still a toddler. Her eyes need to be on the child and not on the smart phone.

Once child is in primary school then I think it's ok to give her Wifi. My maid now takes nap every afternoon when we are out working. According to my gal, she will lie on her bed and play her tablet or she will take a short nap. I have closed one eye to this because my child is 11. However if my child is a new born or toddler, I will sent her off.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby matrix0405 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 am

If they need to FB and Watapp, they can always use their own data plan. They will feel the cost and exercise self-restrain. Giving unlimited and free wifi access to maid is courting trouble.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help