Maid steals $ everyday. What should I do?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid steals $ everyday. What should I do?

Postby 88freelife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 am

I noticed my money has been missing for the past months.
I didnt suspect her becos I thought I was forgetful.

2 weeks ago, I have $1000 in my wallet. Then the balance reduced very fast in few days ... I am quite sure someone has been stealing.

Few days ago, I hid a camera in my room.

Video captured her stealing my money everyday while I'm bathing.

She has been with me for 8 mths. In her first mth, she borrowed $400 from me, saying her son needed medical care.

I can't believe she repays my kindness with stealing!

i am considering 3 options:

- report police
(decided not to take this route becos I was told I wont be able to get new maid during investigation which may take uncertain time. I also dont want her to go to jail as she has 3 children)

- send her back to agent
(not sure as I think agent will just transfer her ie she wont learn her mistake & may continue to steal. What if she is transferred to an employer near my house as my agent's office is near my house)

- send her home
(not sure as it means she has wasted her time working in s'pore without earning any money. I believe her family is very poor and her children needs money for medical & education. i hate to think that her children has to bear the consequences of their mother's mistake)

Plse give me your comments/advice.

88freelife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Maid steals $ everyday. What should I do?

Postby gumiho » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Report her to police so that MOM can blacklist her from coming back to Singapore to work.
I strongly do not agree for you to send her back to agent and her country of origin.
Firstly, Maid agency doesn't care about the well being of a maid, their main intention are to make monies and they are more than happy to transfer her out so that they can earn more agency fee and maid loan. By doing so, you are indirectly causing her next employer to be a victim.
Secondly, if you send her back anytime she can buy an air tix and fly back to Singapore. And once again as I had mentioned you are causing her new employer to be a victim."Kindness beget kindness"

Don't expect them to change. "Leopard doesn't change its spots."

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Why are you even asking for our opinions?
The decision here is clear. You have clear cut evidence. You should report her to the police.
Being poor is not license to steal.
Do not keep her and allow this to continue, unless you really want to continue donating money to her.
Do not pass her to the agent, you will be abetting her to commit the same crime in the new employer's house.
Do not send her home. She can easily come back, and commit the same crime in new employer's house. Furthermore, she will be rewarded with a higher pay cos the agents will market her as "ex-Sin".

You should stop your misplaced sympathy, and do the necessary to stop her from repeating this in your home and other Singaporean homes.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Bowie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi understand your concern of not able to have helper during the police case. But you maybe eligible for registering with 2 helpers if you have two children below the age of 18, or parent/parent-in-law over 60 living with you. Refer to link attached. If not, maybe there are ways for concession?

Dishonest helper is defintely a no no to all household. Imagine another person engage her again and entrust her with young children or sick elder. With such bad character I doubt she will do a good job.

Hope my info help you in any way. :)

http://ifaq.mom.gov.sg/CustomerPages/Th ... ID=3070497

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 88freelife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for comments.

I don't meet criteria for 2nd maid.

I have a few videos clearly showing her stealing. Wonder will that ensure that the investigation is short & swift if I report her.

But I still undecided & not comfortable thinking about her poor family.

88freelife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Hiaweh » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:33 pm

You have the evidence. Very clear cut. Her "poor family"? How can you be sure that they r poor? All these maids will always make it seem they r very pitiful so that we will sympathise them. And that is one of the ways they can hold us hostage either by keeping them or letting them transfer to another employer.
I used to sympathize their family and children by giving them chances to change but like another poster mentioned "leopards never change their spots".
Go make the police report. Dishonesty should not be tolerated in any household especially so if there are young children .
Would you consider letting her finish her contract in yr household knowing that she is such dishonest person? How would you feel if you are the prospective employer finding out that she has been transferred due to dishonesty after you allow her to work in yr house?
Pls do not pass on these problematic maids to other people.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby plc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I had the same problem, but no video evidence of stealing, just remittance slips of more than $10k, and deducting all the remittances that I was aware of, she had helped herself to my wallet or even my children's savings as well.

1) You have the evidence, so most likely police will take her. Just have to make do without a helper. If you worry about her family, who would worry about yours?

2) Sending to agent - problem will be passed to another employer, as the agent doesn't care. They are out to make money, with an "experienced maid". When I checked MOM website, after finding the remittance slips, the employment history was about 6months, ie passing from 1 employer to another, which meant the agent had lied about her experience.

We had made arrangement on our own without telling the agent to send her off (she wasn't aware, until the time, we told her to pack up, kept apologizing!) then made police report with the remittance slips as evidence, and wrote to MOM requesting that she be blacklisted (attach the police report). Just didn't want to pass a dishonest helper to another family.

I do agree with all parents' comments. Last, your maid maybe richer than you in her home country.

plc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 88freelife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm

After hearing all your comments, I know what to do.

If I won't consider letting her finish her contract in my household, then I shouldn't let her have a chance of working for another prospective employer.

Maybe I can send her back first.
Then write to MOM together to blacklist her (with the videos evidence).
I think maids cannot anyhow change their names becos the new system identify their thumbprints.

Thanks all for your comments.

88freelife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 88freelife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:34 pm

plc wrote:We had made arrangement on our own without telling the agent to send her off (she wasn't aware, until the time, we told her to pack up, kept apologizing!) then made police report with the remittance slips as evidence, and wrote to MOM requesting that she be blacklisted (attach the police report).

May I know did you send her home or send her to police?

Can I still make police report after sending her home?

88freelife
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby janet88 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 pm

gumiho wrote:Report her to police so that MOM can blacklist her from coming back to Singapore to work.
I strongly do not agree for you to send her back to agent and her country of origin.
Firstly, Maid agency doesn't care about the well being of a maid, their main intention are to make monies and they are more than happy to transfer her out so that they can earn more agency fee and maid loan. By doing so, you are indirectly causing her next employer to be a victim.
Secondly, if you send her back anytime she can buy an air tix and fly back to Singapore. And once again as I had mentioned you are causing her new employer to be a victim. "Kindness beget kindness"

Don't expect them to change. "Leopard doesn't change its spots."

:goodpost:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help