Bad maid Headache No More

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Bad maid Headache No More

Postby Mtrisha26 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

My initial post was this: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 49&t=61238

This is an update
This maid gave me a LOT of headache

1) She was hurting my daughter who is 8 years old. Digging her long nails into my child's head. She will also tell my daughter constantly that she is not good and selfish. She'd say a lot of bad things to my daughter and scare her that she will leave her alone in the flat. Sometimes, when my daughter is calling me she will grab the phone from her and ask her to go to her room. She also scolds and shouts at my daughter.
2) She doesn't follow my instructions. When I tell her to do something that is on top of her daily workload (example ask her to clean cieling fan which is only done once every two to four weeks), she'll ignore me. As if she didn't hear anything. She will not do the task unless you tell her again. Then she'll act angry and ignore me the whole day.
3) She broke a lot of things at home without telling me. SHE broke my convection oven, the dish rack, pans. containers and plates. She even broke the sink and pipes and we had to replace it. Costed S$380.
4) She doesn't return the reciepts to me after grocery. Recently I noticed that grocery is fewer. And the brands are not the ones I taught her to buy. When ask where is the receipt she'll say she put on the draw box.
5) She became very rude to us when she doesn't get what she wants. We limited her wifi access to her phone only and removed laptop and tablet access. She insulted me in this and insisted that I am no good because I did not give her other gadgets access to wifi. This happened about 3 weeks ago.
6) She doesn't clean the flat as per expected. She also doesnt wash the clothes as scheduled. She doesnt follow the cleaning schedule that I gave her and the menu that I gave her.

Worst...
7) She got a bangladesh boyfriend. He always calls her. They are always talking on the phone. I discovered she also taking some kind of pills from indonesia. She told me these were contraceptives she buy from her friend.
8) She was making excuses to go out when I was working from home to see her boyfriend. She even asked me to give her friday night (until saturday morning) as additional day off to see boyfriend. This is on top of her current day off schedule.
9) She stole some of our personal things and use it as her own. SHE NEVer asked permission to use these things. It is ok though if she asks. But she didnt.
10) She want her salary to be increases to S$800. I hired her at 500. Increased her salary to 550 after 6 months. Then gave her another increment of 50. These are salary increases because i wanted her to be inspired to work better.
11) If I talk to her in a nice way to correct her work, she doesnt folllow. If I scold her, she doesnt follow. If I text her, she doesnt follow. She will only do what she wants.

And so many more. Overall, she was very stubborn, rude, hurts our child and doesnt work as per expected.

A few days ago, I told her to clean something. She got mad and told me to bring her back to the agency. (sigh!). So I did. I brought her back.

Then I sent a feedback to MOM about her performance (good points), problems that arose during her stay with us and also the priveleges that she had at home.

I hope that the new employer will be wise enough to check that out

Whoever is interedted to know just send an email to me. mpzq26@yahoo.com. I will reply with details.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Bad maid Headache No More

Postby looking4Tutor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I hope you have done the right thing by sending her home than to the agency and allow her to circulate in this society and causes others to experience your headache.

By increasing your maid salary too high and too soon, don't you think you are spoiling the market? Well, it could be peanut to you.

I hope you can be wise enough if you ever get another maid.

looking4Tutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mtrisha26 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I wanted to send her back but she made threats to my mother that she will runaway if I do so. MOM informed me that I need to give reasonable notification if I am repatriating her. I don't want to go against Singapore's law.

I increased her salary because I had a new born baby. Her workload actually did increase (a bit). I did that to encourage her to work. Because I can see that she was starting to be lazy and at that time, I just gave birth that time and without any help from family, I needed her to be around. I thought, similar to us professionals, we want more salary if more work is passed to us. I was just. Thinking the same way.

But yes, I was wrong to give her the increment. Though, I am not spoiling market. Because basic salary for a fresh Fillipina FDW is S$500 by Philippine Law. Her asking salary for 5 years experience from the agency now is $550. And not 600.

But you know what, a rotten egg will continue being a rotten egg.

Also, I spoke to my husband and we agreed to terminate her work permit soon. But I need to speak with the agency on how to send her to the airport if I do that. Since she is back with them.
Last edited by Mtrisha26 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mtrisha26 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:24 pm

And yes. I have learned my lesson. Hard lessons. NOT to be too kind to Maid.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby looking4Tutor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 pm

Mtrisha26 wrote:And yes. I have learned my lesson. Hard lessons. NOT to be too kind to Maid.

We should be kind to one another. But not to the extend of being taken advantage of.

In the midst of these bad apples there are always good ones around.

Hope you will get a good one soon.

looking4Tutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mtrisha26 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 pm

looking4Tutor wrote:
Mtrisha26 wrote:And yes. I have learned my lesson. Hard lessons. NOT to be too kind to Maid.

We should be kind to one another. But not to the extend of being taken advantage of.

In the midst of these bad apples there are always good ones around.

Hope you will get a good one soon.

Thanks! I hope so too.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chixchix » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 am

my agent always tell me respect your maid and treat as a human, but don't be too nice or they climb over :lol:

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mtrisha26 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm

chixchix wrote:my agent always tell me respect your maid and treat as a human, but don't be too nice or they climb over :lol:

That is my philosophy also. My relatives have maids serving them for more than 30 years. I have had a maid take care of me since I was young until I was 13.

This maid is by far the worst that I have seen. My parents treat the maid the way I did. Our maid even eats with us when I was young. BUt the maids never became abusive like this one. She hurt my child as well. Our maids when I was young never laid a hand on us. Never scolded us too.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 pm

All the best, Mtrisha26! It really is tough to find good domestic workers nowadays that are trustworthy. Perhaps ask around for recommendations from friends?

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mtrisha26 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Beatrice_NoQ wrote:All the best, Mtrisha26! It really is tough to find good domestic workers nowadays that are trustworthy. Perhaps ask around for recommendations from friends?

Thanks! I agree. It is indeed very difficult to get a new maid nowadays. Very difficult to trust. Now, I am scared to get one.

Mtrisha26
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help