Don't be stingy with that medical insurance!

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Don't be stingy with that medical insurance!

Postby pirate » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

We all know that to employ a FDW, we need to buy medical insurance for at least $15,000 for her. What some people do not know, but ought to know, is that an employer is responsible for all the FDW's medical expenses incurred here. Also, because a FDW is not a citizen or PR, she is not entitled to subsidized rates at public hospitals, ie. neither is the employer.

If a medical catastrophe should happen to your FDW, you are responsible for footing any medical bills beyond that $15,000 you insured her for. If she is in ICU, you will see that $15,000 disappear and the amount you are responsible for grow very quickly. And you cannot send her back until she is medically stable enough to be sent home.

This happened to a relative through no fault of anybody. The medical bills have already gone beyond $50,000. Luckily, the family is able to afford that.

So, if getting whacked out of the blue with a $50,000 or $100,000 medical bill is going to do major damage to your family's finances, you should seriously consider buying more coverage for your FDW than that paltry $15,000 minimum cover.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Don't be stingy with that medical insurance!

Postby Integer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for the reminder.

Medical costs in Spore, esp for foreigners with little or no insurance, is really no joke. :moneyflies:

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

This is also true for locals, despite all the so-called assistance or subsides available.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

starlight1968sg wrote:This is also true for locals, despite all the so-called assistance or subsides available.

Errr.....how do you mean?

I think the medical subsidies in Singapore, if one chooses to use them, are pretty generous.

Of course if one decides to go to Mount E or Gleneagles, then you are on your own.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am

3Boys wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:This is also true for locals, despite all the so-called assistance or subsides available.

I think the medical subsidies in Singapore, if one chooses to use them, are pretty generous.

Of course if one decides to go to Mount E or Gleneagles, then you are on your own.

If the subsidies for government hospitals are generous for locals, why the cost of healthcare is still a bugbear esp for seniors?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm

I had the impression that they are referring to out-patient care which is not covered by insurance.

Subsidies at government hospital is generous for local, but I think it is still cheaper at local hospital than private ones.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/h ... rgery.html
For example, the subsidised cost of a day surgery for cataract is min $875.
Is this the final cost payable by the patient?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
3Boys wrote:

If the subsidies for government hospitals are generous for locals, why the cost of healthcare is still a bugbear esp for seniors?

I'd like to see the data on that.

I don't see that medical bills need to go to zero.

And I do feel that, for the vast majority of Singaporeans, the medical subsidies will render the medical bills affordable.

And for the minority for which it is still not affordable, then we need to find a way to help those, via some sort of granting.

But no, I don't believe in crafting policies to fit the lowest denominator.

Set the bills at the level that is affordable by the majority....then help those few that fall through the gaps with some specific targeted schemes.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/h ... rgery.html

To your example, before any special assistance schemes, the bill size could be $875. This I believe, is affordable to the majority of Singaporean households, and therefore, as consumers of healthcare, and custodians of the nation's resources (yes, each and every one of us), we ought to willingly pay this quantum for an important procedure, and to pay for all the training and staffing and the equipment that goes into a cataract surgery. $875 is WAAYYYY below cost.

For the few that still cannot afford, then we need to have a system of grants to assist them. The medical social workers in each hospital system can assist with that, or for that matter, the MP.

My (remote) experience is that in genuine cases, there is no issue getting this types of bills waived or assisted for in some way.

But no, I do not believe that every Singaporean should get free healthcare. That would be the road to ruin.
Last edited by 3Boys on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:http://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/h ... rgery.html

I do not have the full details.

My FIL had day surgery for cataract and it was covered by the insurance (I'm a bit confuse which kind it was), subsidies etc. Sorry I dont have the full details becos I dont keep track of the details.

My hubby didn't pay any amt for the medical bills. My FIL didn't complain abt the bill so means he either didn't need to pay or the amt was min. My FIL has low tolerance towards spending even for health, so when I mean min, it is really min kind.

He goes to gvt hospital, appointment decided by hospital kind, operate, rest a while and go kind.

For the insurance, I only remembered that I helped to pay an annual lump sum of either $800 plus or $600 plus, last yr or this yr and the other half was settled by the gvt (I use the term loosely, I think it was fr medishield or medisave, or something like that, spoken to the staff abt the payment but now forgotten abt the details, very bad of me)

The bottomline of my post to your qn is that for that cataract day surgery, my FIL's case, apparantly he didn't need to pay or paid very little, after all the deduction and what not.

He has been going for regular health check ups at the gvt hospital and again he does not complain abt the bill. I remembered once he showed me the bill for me to check on something and nearly all items were subsidize and claimable.

I remembered once I stayed in C ward becos of possible complications during my 2nd preg, and my 5 days stay bill was not much too, my subsequent chk-ups under C class/ward pricing was below $50 too after each visit, I think less than $30 even. The service was good too. I didn't feel short-changed as a C ward patient.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help