Maid request to change employer

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Maid request to change employer

Postby brotherlouis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi people, I recently got a myanmar maid, and within 2nd days already start complaining and wanted to go back to agency. She complaint that my child (22mth old) is too naughty for her to take care. After much negotiation and consultation from the agency, we are still unable to change her mind. And finally send her back within 2 week.

Now the problem here is to get another replacement, even the fault is not on me, I still have to pay again for the new Document fees, run away bond, Insurance and levy. ( processing fees,maid lodging fees waived) Even though I will be getting back 70% back of the previous insurance, I still loose over 25% of that amount, and not forgetting that run away bond again.

Total estimated cost on me will be $300 after deducting that 70% refund from insurance. And not forgetting about the levy which is still on me until this maid got sold. I understand that the agency will impose 2 mths salary penalties on the maid, plus again they can sell off to profit again. But for me, it like I'm in the losing end.

Worst part is that, to get the next replacement, the current one has to be sold first.

Has anyone has similar case as me ? And what happens if the maid cant be sold with 21 days ?

brotherlouis
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Maid request to change employer

Postby POA Teacher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 pm

brotherlouis wrote:Hi people, I recently got a myanmar maid, and within 2nd days already start complaining and wanted to go back to agency. She complaint that my child (22mth old) is too naughty for her to take care. After much negotiation and consultation from the agency, we are still unable to change her mind. And finally send her back within 2 week.

Now the problem here is to get another replacement, even the fault is not on me, I still have to pay again for the new Document fees, run away bond, Insurance and levy. ( processing fees,maid lodging fees waived) Even though I will be getting back 70% back of the previous insurance, I still loose over 25% of that amount, and not forgetting that run away bond again.

Total estimated cost on me will be $300 after deducting that 70% refund from insurance. And not forgetting about the levy which is still on me until this maid got sold. I understand that the agency will impose 2 mths salary penalties on the maid, plus again they can sell off to profit again. But for me, it like I'm in the losing end.

Worst part is that, to get the next replacement, the current one has to be sold first.

Has anyone has similar case as me ? And what happens if the maid cant be sold with 21 days ?

Please brother, the maid is not a commodity to be sold.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Hug!! I understand your feeling. But what to do? This is the policy in Singapore. I also feel very unfair if it is the maid who request to get transfer but we as an employer get penalty. :(

Unless we can live without a maid if not.... we have to follow the rule. :(

If the maid can't be "sold", you have to pay for her air ticket to send her back. :(

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby zilojian » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Dear brotherlouis,

I had similar experience with yours. The only difference was that my former maid had ran away from home the very next day after we had caught her stealing red-handed. This happened before we could bring her back to the agency as we were still deciding what to do with her. She had only been with us for less than a month.

Luckily she was found 3 days later at the MOM. We were also stuck with this maid and paid all the extra expenses (Govt Levy + Insurance + Food & Lodging at SGD 15/per day for 21 days) till she get employed again. The Agency assured me that they would try their best to "market" her ASAP so that the liability would be released from my name soon.

We had made a police report against her (Stealing + Run Away) but the police officer in charge had only made a statement of her running away. He said we could use this police statement to cancel her work permit and stop paying for her levy. As the money that the maid stole is "too little" to justify that she had indeed stolen from us, he refused to add on the statement.

We then called up the maid agency and they told us not to cancel the work permit otherwise they would have problem in transfering the maid's current loan to prospective employer.

Until then, we really had no choice but to pray that she could get a new job ASAP. In the meanwhile, we could only wait for a new replacement after settling with this maid and again paid for extra expenses (Govt Levy + Insurance + Documents + Health check-up etc) for the replacement maid which again is of no guarantee.

I pray that your Manmar maid can get a new job soon...

zilojian
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zilojian » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm

To add on..

I have a friend whose maid is unsuccessful to secure a new job after 21 days. As she is in need of her helper to look after her baby. she had no choice but to buy an airticket and paid off the maid present loan (3k plus) so that she can get a replacement maid faster..

But it is too expensive price to pay for... :(

zilojian
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby brotherlouis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

zilojian wrote:To add on..

I have a friend whose maid is unsuccessful to secure a new job after 21 days. As she is in need of her helper to look after her baby. she had no choice but to buy an airticket and paid off the maid present loan (3k plus) so that she can get a replacement maid faster..

But it is too expensive price to pay for... :(

OMG ! In my contract , I can have free replacement unlimited for 1 yr. ... my current maid loan also ard 3k. So if no taker, I had to pay for it and too buy ticket to send her back ?

brotherlouis
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby smurfy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 pm

zilojian wrote:Dear brotherlouis,

I had similar experience with yours. The only difference was that my former maid had ran away from home the very next day after we had caught her stealing red-handed. This happened before we could bring her back to the agency as we were still deciding what to do with her. She had only been with us for less than a month.

Luckily she was found 3 days later at the MOM. We were also stuck with this maid and paid all the extra expenses (Govt Levy + Insurance + Food & Lodging at SGD 15/per day for 21 days) till she get employed again. The Agency assured me that they would try their best to "market" her ASAP so that the liability would be released from my name soon.

We had made a police report against her (Stealing + Run Away) but the police officer in charge had only made a statement of her running away. He said we could use this police statement to cancel her work permit and stop paying for her levy. As the money that the maid stole is "too little" to justify that she had indeed stolen from us, he refused to add on the statement.

We then called up the maid agency and they told us not to cancel the work permit otherwise they would have problem in transfering the maid's current loan to prospective employer.

Until then, we really had no choice but to pray that she could get a new job ASAP. In the meanwhile, we could only wait for a new replacement after settling with this maid and again paid for extra expenses (Govt Levy + Insurance + Documents + Health check-up etc) for the replacement maid which again is of no guarantee.

I pray that your Manmar maid can get a new job soon...

seriously for a maid who steal and ran away, u choose to return her to another agency and be "marketed" away, instead of just sending her straight home, u are potentially creating the same problem (stealing and running away) for another family

:siao: :siao: :siao: :siao: :siao: :siao: :siao:

smurfy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby brotherlouis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Please brother, the maid is not a commodity to be sold.[/quote]

sorry for the words used. I should be more careful of it. Employed instead of sold !

brotherlouis
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Another consideration is also is myanmar maid a suitable choice for your family?

sil had a myanmar maid. Couldn't make it despite being with them for close to 1 year. Communication was the biggest barrier so they didn't even dare to entrust her to do simple cooking. The last straw was when she started to steal from the ah ma.

She had another replacement also from myanmar. Didn't last long too (couple of weeks). She told us she is changing back to Indo maid.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby zilojian » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Not necessary if you can wait patiently for her to get a new job first...

But until then, you cannot get another replacement unless you apply a replacement under your 2nd child (if you have)...

zilojian
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help