What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby st2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:44 pm

I was told that for Indonesian maid's classes, Indonesian speakers conduct the class and they have teach the maids that if they are unhappy, just ask for transfer.

One of my friend's maid argued with her that she can take naps. I think the booklet says that those maids who take care of midnight feeding may do so.

Any thoughts or info to share?

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby POA Teacher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 pm

st2 wrote:I was told that for Indonesian maid's classes, Indonesian speakers conduct the class and they have teach the maids that if they are unhappy, just ask for transfer.

One of my friend's maid argued with her that she can take naps. I think the booklet says that those maids who take care of midnight feeding may do so.

Any thoughts or info to share?

If there is someone else around who can take care of the baby for a while during the day, if I were the employer, I would allow the maid to nap.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby st2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

This maid has no baby to take care of.

My point is, I think all these maids come into our house with a defensive mindset, eager to manipulate the situation to serve their purpose.

It does not cost them anything to keep changing employers. How many employers are eager to change maids? When we have a good maid, we just want to keep them forever.

All we want is for the maid to be a team player, that starts with following instructions. If they come in wanting to do things their way, it disrupts/ruins our plans.....when they are unhappy having to follow our standard of hygiene or our way of life........they can easily change employer while we are paying levy, food and lodging for their transfer period. If they wanted to stay the same, they should have stay home.....not lie to us to set foot here, then told in class that they can change employer when they are not happy...

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby trimummy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 pm

st2 wrote:This maid has no baby to take care of.

My point is, I think all these maids come into our house with a defensive mindset, eager to manipulate the situation to serve their purpose.

It does not cost them anything to keep changing employers. How many employers are eager to change maids? When we have a good maid, we just want to keep them forever.

All we want is for the maid to be a team player, that starts with following instructions. If they come in wanting to do things their way, it disrupts/ruins our plans.....when they are unhappy having to follow our standard of hygiene or our way of life........they can easily change employer while we are paying levy, food and lodging for their transfer period. If they wanted to stay the same, they should have stay home.....not lie to us to set foot here, then told in class that they can change employer when they are not happy...


I agree...if they are have decided to come here and work, be prepared to work and don't have the mindset to come here for holiday or make friends! many view working overseas as a chance to "see the world"...all at the employer's expense... :mad:

and i hate it that they already come with a mindset that anything they not happy, just request for change in employer...they never spare a thought for us employers...think we are all so free issit? keep changing employers until they are happy? and when are they happy? when they don't need to do much housework or look after kids or cook and have off days every week and earn a high pay.... :stupid:

seriously, someone should just tell them to wake up their ideas man! if every job is so easy, then why do we have to employ them in the first place? if they want senang jobs, just stay in their own country! :rant:

trimummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby Snow24 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi

For SIP, maid will cover the following content
Content of SIP:
Introduction to Singapore
condition of Employment
safety at home
Safety in other areas
Relationship and stress management

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby st2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 pm

I think instructor just tell them..............don't worry and don't have to waste time remember anything or do anything....just change employer until you happy!

When my agent was going through my maid's stuff and asked her about the SIP class cards and book what she learn.... She said 'I don't know, didn't read....'

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby peapot » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:32 am

Actually my maid naps and play her tablet everyday eventhough my gal is already in primary school. She naps whenever she wants even when my child is at home. That's why my gal knew and told me about it. I didn't make noise because my gal is already in primary school. But I think if I transfer her out not sure if other employer can accept it.

So for napping, I think it should be discussed. For babies, if there is night feeding then let maid nap with baby but if u have a baby that sleeps through the night then napping is something that should be addressed.

Anyway, what is SIP class?

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm
Total Likes: 7


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby mng_kl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi

For SIP, maid will cover the following content
Content of SIP:
Introduction to Singapore
condition of Employment
safety at home
Safety in other areas
Relationship and stress management



Bull sh*t training!

My 2.5 months old helper, many times we told her not to stand on the ikea plastic stool as it is slippery but she just wouldn't want to listen! just last Sun, DH saw her, again using the same stool, tip-toeing standing on to close the upper window in the kitchen without the window grill closed! :rant:

My 2 young kids have giving me less worry on their safety but a 31 yo helper really :stupid: :stupid:

I rather MOM reinstate the English test before FDW enter Singapore... as mostly all new Indo maids cannot speak, cannot understand Eng - win lor, dont understand = dont need to do :siam:

mng_kl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: What do they teach in Maid's SIP classes?

Postby st2 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 am

I was told that the instructors are Indonesians and that teach them to ask for change of employer anytime they are not happy. I think MOM should have survillence to listen and see what the maids are taught in class.

My friend previously had a maid who purposely sit on the window just to irritate my friend who told her not to do that.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Domestic Help