All about maid food , rules and accommodation

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

All about maid food , rules and accommodation

Postby Searchingyou » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Mummies,

How you all to settle maids' food ? Do you let them cook their own food ? Do you let maid to eat on the same table? Do you let maid prepare their own "grocery - list "?

Where is maid sleep? with children ? I am thinking to build a hidden bed for the maid in our toy room .. as our house is only 4 room flat..

What commom rules do you apply to your maid?

TIA!!

Searchingyou
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All about maid food , rules and accommodation

Postby Blessedwife » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:31 am

Our helper will eat the same food she cooked for us and eat on the same table together with us.

Cannot bear to see employers letting their helpers to eat alone in the kitchen. Seems pitiful ...
My helper told me last time when she used to work in HK. Her employer do not allow them to eat together with them during meal times and she need to cook separately for her own meals.
She was surprised that we asked her to eat together on the same table just like her family.

Anyway different employers different rules :)

Blessedwife
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:51 pm

My maids eat whatever we eat. She is allowed to cook her own meals if what we eat is not suitable for her. No separate groceries but if she wants, she can buy her own out of her own pocket.

We are ok for our maids to eat together with us but they will usually choose to eat after us and in the kitchen. I think they feel less stressed as they can eat at their own pace and use their hands.

We have a maids room for her, though small, it is still her own private space.

I do not provide any toiletries for her either she buys her own.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Searchingyou » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:28 pm

do you all provide a drawer/compartment/fridge in the kitchen for their food/groceries?

do you all seperate their plates/spoon/cup..etc?

Searchingyou
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Blessedwife » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:32 pm

We didn't specify to separate those but she will just put her things at one corner by herself.

In our family, each has our own plates and cup so she has her own too. Guests will use the cups/glasses intended for guests.

Blessedwife
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:39 pm

For me, no and no.

Since they eat what we eat, I see no need for that. One of my criteria when getting a maid is that she must be able to handle pork even if she does not eat it. So given that that is a criteria, they tend not to be that particular about having separate compartments or separate dining wares. Cups though, we all have our own personal cups so same goes for her.

I was advised to buy separate groceries for the maids by well meaning friends. Eg, batang fish, cheaper veg, etc and they should cook and eat their own meals separate from the rest of the family. I could not bring myself to do that. My maid eats salmon and cod fish like the rest of us. She eats broccoli and asparagus just like we eat taugeh and cabbage as well. If I prepare bird's nest, she gets a portion as well unless she does not eat such stuff. If she wants to drink the Nespresso coffee, she is free to do so but so far, she buys her own 3-in-1.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby st2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't let the maids eat at the dining table with us anymore. She eats the same food. Only on the days we eat pork, she can cook her own food like frozen otak, fishball, beefball, instant noodles, eggs, bread etc.

When I was growing up, the help was the help. My mother and grand mother were very kind and polite to them but they remember their place.

Many years ago when I employed my first maid, I allowed that and also allow her to watch TV when I'm not at home. Very soon, she thought we were equals and wonder why should she be picking after me, don't clean properly, always argue back when I asked her why is it dirty here and clothes not iron. She forgot she is paid to work for me.

When my husband and I return from the supermarket and rang the door bell, there was not answer. When we opened the door, we see her sitting on the sofa watching TV. She just turn her head, gave a nod and continue to watch TV; did not bother to come help us with the bags of grocery we were holding.

I bought fresh chicken drum sticks from the market for her every week. But she was so lazy, she did not want to cook for herself. (I cook soup everyday, mostly pork). I thought if I treat her very well, she will take good care of my mother when she is discharge from the hospital

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wondercloud101 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:03 pm

[quote="Searchingyou"]Hi Mummies,

How you all to settle maids' food ? Do you let them cook their own food ? Do you let maid to eat on the same table? Do you let maid prepare their own "grocery - list "?

Where is maid sleep? with children ? I am thinking to build a hidden bed for the maid in our toy room .. as our house is only 4 room flat..

What commom rules do you apply to your maid?

TIA!![/quote]

Hi I used to have a maid from Indonesia. She has since gone back after working with me for more than 4 years. Lucky for me, she was the "kuai kuai" type and gives you the due respect type. She also eat what the same type of food and ate with us at the same table. She shared the same room with two of my children.

The only rule that I applied on her was that I do not allow her to go out on her own. She's never alone in the house. She has no off days and no handphone. It was stated in her contract since day one of her contract (before the mandatory rule for off days was implemented). We do allow her to call back but she seldom called back to her hometown initially. She even did not go back on home leave when her first contract (2year) finished.

Getting a good and obedient maid is sometimes depends on your luck as well.

wondercloud101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:58 am

st2 wrote:I don't let the maids eat at the dining table with us anymore. She eats the same food. Only on the days we eat pork, she can cook her own food like frozen otak, fishball, beefball, instant noodles, eggs, bread etc.

we all eat the same food.
when I had Indonesian maids then, I would buy frozen chicken nuggets for her to eat...or she can cook instant noodles or fry an egg.
maids had their own cutlery and bowl...I will put aside food for her and then we will finish the food on the table. in the beginning, maids will eat everything but subsequently they started to get fussy...so if they tell me they don't want to eat food cooked that day, they eat instant noodle.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Domestic Help